PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Kingmaker announced

Talyn
May 17th, 2017, 20:28
The first isometric party-based computer RPG set in the Pathfinder fantasy universe

In development by Owlcat Games (https://owlcatgames.com/)...

Bidmaron
May 17th, 2017, 21:50
I hope it goes better than the goblinworks disasters.

Ken L
May 17th, 2017, 22:57
Goblin Works was an MMO, and even D&D with all its stature still failed to pull it off.

Pillars of Eternity is licensing their engine (Torment Numineria did the same) so I expect a certain degree of quality. The rest will be on them to cultivate a story, given the size of their team... well we'll see.

Edit: Oh wow, they're not using the Pillars of Eternity Engine, my expectations have dropped considerably.

Full Bleed
May 18th, 2017, 06:17
Interesting...

I haven't looked into it too closely, but I suspect it will be limited by one of the big things that limited the goblinworks MMO... namely that they can't really use the Pathfinder rules. So it won't really "feel" like the Pathfinder system... more like a pretender set in the world of Golarion.

That said, Kingmaker seems to have a significant following... so maybe the "hook" and "setting" will be enough.

Ken L
May 18th, 2017, 08:23
Goblin works was an MMO. They could conceivably do something similar to shadow run returns or a gridded 'Arma' like combat system that snaps on when an encounter occurs.

Talyn
May 18th, 2017, 13:28
Goblinworks was the studio building Pathfinder Online, which was doomed from the outset.

I'm perfectly fine with Kingmaker not 100% using the Pathfinder rules. Tabletop RPGs very rarely, if ever, translate 1:1 to a videogame RPG, and I'd rather the studio not bother trying to fake it.