PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e - Dragonlance setting

Wisewind
May 17th, 2017, 19:32
An interest check to see if there are more Dragonlance lovers here on fantasy grounds that would like to venture into the wonderful world of the dragonlance novels.

Some basic info (keep track of this as this will be updated over time):
Licence: DM is an ultimate licence holder, free demo users are welcome. Also has the D&D bundle material available.
System: 5e D&D
Setting: Homebrew Dragonlance (set around the chronicles novels in time).
Voice/Text: It will be textbased using the fantasygrounds chat.
Time for play:
Max players: 6 (new players will get first dibs)
Alignment: No neutral evil or chaotic evil.
How to apply: Apply here in the forum, with a quick description of who you are, if you have roleplayed before and what kind of character you have in mind, what days and times you would be available for play and such. Applications through PM is not valid.
Calendar listing:
Server alias: Nosy Shaman Good Thug
Password: wizardry
Follow this thread if you apply to join.

When you use times and timezones in the thread, remember to use a GMT timezone reference.
Also, see the calendar listing to see what the gametime would be in your timezone.

Character creation
All characters begin at Lv 1.
Standard array or point buy for attribute points.
Only use the players handbook or basic rules for character creation.
Play whatever class you like, I dont mind running a game for a group where everyone is the same class.
Keep in mind however that elves and dwarves are rare-ish outside their own lands in this setting.
Also as the true gods have left Krynn, there is no divine magic, but you can still be a divine caster class if you wish, but your spells wont work.
Starting equipment is chosen from your class and background options.
If you cant come to a game session after being accepted, be sure to let me know as soon as you do.

For those who are not familliar with dragonlance
Basically, many years ago, **** went down, real bad.
The gods dropped a fiery mountain on top of the world, destroying Istar (a city that was pretty much the religious capital) and then abandoned the people of Krynn (the planet you are on).
Thus, there are no gods, ergo no divine magic (no cleric spells work, no druid, paladin or ranger spells work, some bard spells dont work.
In the absense of gods, some people are forming cults, most cults are frauds who preach false gods, perform "miracles" to scam people out of money and into obedience.
Some people seek to find answears to why the gods have left the people of Krynn, and seek to find them again.

You Will all be living in the town of Solace, a normally an open and friendly town formed by refuges from the cataclysm (when the gods dropped the mountain) who built their town safely up in giant sturdy trees.
But lately the town has fallen under the rule of the High theocrat... the masses swallow his preachings without hesitation in hope of their New gods being true... and there are hushed rumors that those who dont... have a tendency to disappear.
There are also rumors of armies gathering in the north... and even Worse... rumors of dragons, both dismissed as just stories... everyone knows that there are No dragons... they are just old stories meant to scare children.

Thefallenflame
May 17th, 2017, 21:09
Hello my name is Mikkel and i am 21 years old.
I have a decent amount of experience in 3.5 but practically none in 5E and with dragonlance.
I would probably play a Half-Elf Bard.
I can play monday through wednesday and friday from 7:00 pm (Gmt +1) and thursdays from 8:00 pm (Gmt +1)

Blahness98
May 18th, 2017, 06:09
Man, I love me some Dragonlance. Been playing D&D since college (12 years now?) and currently DM a pair of pathfinder games. Tried my hand at running the War of the Lance a few years ago with me getting burned out after several months and also was a player in a game that made it to the second book in the trilogy before the group broke apart. I have limited 5e knowledge, but I do pick things up quick.

My play times are all over the place as I work retail and have kids. I am in the GMT -5 timezone. I will play anything the group needs.

khavi
May 18th, 2017, 15:08
Hey there! This sounds super fun and I'd love to play (depending on the day and time).
I've been playing D&D since November of last year and I absolutely love it! My favorite things to play are probably half-elf rangers or druids, so if that's a possibility, I'd love to play as one.

I'm available Monday and Wednesday PST(GMT-7 I believe) in the evenings.

zow419
May 18th, 2017, 15:41
I'm available Tues-Thurs Nights GMT - 4. I'm not familiar with Dragonlance, but this premise seems very interesting. The general character I'd like to play is a cleric who's magic isn't working and is trying to figure out why(I'm not sure if it fits with your setting). I'd love to discuss more about my character idea in detail with you if possible just to sort out specifics.

Vinbaron
May 18th, 2017, 16:27
Hi, I"ve played some D&D years ago and just recently started playing again. I'm familiar with 5e and FG. Not familiar with Dragonlance. At the moment I"m DM in a Home game with family and friend and I would like to participate as a player in another game. The character I would create would probably be some kind of fighter. I'm avaiable mon-fri evenings and sun evening. Timezone: GMT+2 (netherlands).

Grimlore
May 18th, 2017, 20:35
Hello,
I would be interested in joining your group. I'm looking to add an additional game session during the week. I am Mountain Standard Time (MST), and am free Tues, Wed or Thurs nights from ~7:30pm - 11:30pm. I have a lot of experience with Fantasy Grounds, a decent understanding of 5e, and no knowledge of Dragonlance. I would be interested in playing any race/class that works with the group, but would prefer a rogue or bard of some sort as I have not played either in 5e yet.

Edit: GMT-6

TheDux
May 18th, 2017, 21:02
Hello, I am definately interested. I have been playing dnd for the better part of 2 decades (late 90s as a teen) but I have not yet delved into Dragonlance. I have a passing knowledge but I am a quick study. I think my biggest draw back as a player is that my schedule can be a little unpredictable but as long as I have time to work it out with my job I can make all sessions usually. While my biggest strength is just keeping thing flowing smoothly. I am usually a good middle man between rule lawyers and DM's and others who might slow things down to a no fun crawl. I also am a good researcher so if there is a dispute I can help find the most official or most accepted answers quickly. I like orginal, creative characters and tend to be a strong role player and can be flexible with party role.

Let me know when, where, and if I can play and I would be happy to jump right in.

Wisewind
May 18th, 2017, 22:15
Welcome everyone.
I added a Quick summary of things to know about the setting for those who are not familliar with dragonlance.
It was written from memory, so may be alittle inaccurate.
I may Edit it alittle in time.

Grimlore, GMT timezone reference please.
Mountain standard time doesnt mean anything to me.

AngryPup
May 18th, 2017, 23:06
Hello!

Ages ago I played Warhammer but that was a long time ago. Only recently I finally got time and resources to actually follow hobbies and stuff. D&D is one of them. I live in the middle of nowhere hence the online option.
A few days ago I got myself FG standard license and a player handbook. I have zero experience and very little knowledge but that changes the more I read about it.

If accepted I would like to try Cleric (have some ideas how to play Cleric without divine spells) or a Warlock but in the end, I'll be happy o try any class.

Time zone: GMT+1/GMT (UK time)
Availability: Mon-Fri 18:00 - 00:00, Sat - all day, Sun - 13:00 - 22:00(ish)

I have a fairly stable situation at home (9-5 job type) and plenty of free time. I am "on call" after work most of the time. It rarely happens that I get a phone call but I thought it's only fair to mention it.
If considered, please be aware that I am a new player so there are bound to questions... and if that's a problem, I will pass.

computertrucker
May 19th, 2017, 02:14
"ONYX Demands the Blue Crystal Staff! Hand over the staff or DIE!!!"

Ran Dragonlance back in 1st edition all the way up to i believe DL12.. What a great series.. was a fun campaign. If I had the time to join I would love to. Sadly i dont 8(

jtmethod125
May 19th, 2017, 04:17
Hey everyone!

First time FG looking for a group, really interested in this setup. It's hard to find text based groups (Can't do voice for medical reasons) so games like this are right up my alley. My name is Doug and I'm 28, work midnight shift so I'm available all days, Sunday might have a tough time scheduling but I can work out most things. I've been playing D&D for a few years now in two separate 5e groups. Played a little in high school but not much. I'm easy going, laid back and easy to get along with.

If you have room for me, I enjoy the Ranger class. However, I really like joining whatever class is needed for the group, all classes are fun and being a group player is more fun for me than doing my own thing.

I'm GMT - 5:00 (EST) and I'm available all days (Work midnight, but flexible shift).

I'm pretty computer savvy and learned a lot of new programs pretty quick, so I shouldn't need a ton of help with FG, maybe a little at first. I'll only be running the demo but depending on how my first FG experience goes and if I get any good suggestions, I'll definitely look into a license, especially if it helps out the group.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you

TheDux
May 19th, 2017, 06:57
I may need to withdraw my interest check. While still interested, I put the cart before the horse. I have a 3 week vacation coming up june/July and unless this would interfere with start/continuing sessions I'd think it hest to withdraw.

Wisewind
May 19th, 2017, 14:02
Welcome Angrypup! I actually mostly give New players first dibs on the spots in the games I run, and dont mind questions at all :)
Would live to hear your ideas on how to play a cleric without divine magic or powers :)

I hear you computortrucker! I had a great time with those as well :)

Welcome jtmethod125 :)
I have an ultimate licence, so it doesnt affect the group at all if you only have a demo version :)

No start date is set yet TheDux, but thank you for giving Quick notice :)

zow419
May 19th, 2017, 16:39
I applied earlier in the thread, but I feel I should elaborate on my application. I'm 20 years old, currently in college, and I love DnD, but haven't actually gotten to play much. I played with some friends a long time ago and I would love to get back into 5e. I'm going to be available Tues-Thurs, and I can work in a weekend session if needed.

I would like to play a human monk. [The short version] His cloister was in the business of helping refugees, and often preached that "even though the gods have left, that does not mean we cannot thrive on our own". My character is one of the last remaining monks of this cloister as in recent times, they have all started to disappear during the night, leaving no trace as to why. Fearing his own demise, he formally left the cloister in search of another venture, perhaps one where he can again help lift up those who have fallen.

Let me know what you think. I kind of like the idea of him getting into the business of crafting potions(because without cleric, paladin, druid, or ranger spells, there is basically no healing for the group except for bards).

TheDux
May 20th, 2017, 02:27
I'd still be down if my trip to hippy funland (aka The Rainbow Gathering) doesn't interfere...or even as a later add to the party. Let me know.

Wisewind
May 20th, 2017, 07:29
Actually, No healing magic what so ever.
The bards healing spells dont work either.

To craft a magic item (healing potion), you need to be at an appropriate level for how rare the item is and you also need to be able to cast the spell its going to produce.

zow419
May 20th, 2017, 07:47
After reading the DMG rules for crafting a magic item, I think I'll pass on this venture. A potion of healing (2d4+2) doesn't seem to have a corresponding spell that is infused with it (Cure wounds : 1d8 + mod/ Healing word : 1d4 + mod). The potion-making also doesn't really scale well, as a potion of greater healing takes 500 gp and 20 days to craft.

I am curious now about how careful we will all need to be in fights. Excited is the better word.

Wisewind
May 21st, 2017, 20:43
Well, Ive always felt that 5e is alittle too easy sometimes as its very forgiving even of you dont have healing magic.
Back when I played AD&D, if you got injured you couldnt just heal up with a 8 hour rest.

zow419
May 21st, 2017, 22:22
Yeah, I'm young and have only played 5e and PFSRD, but that sounds pretty heavy. In 5e, my preference as a player is to try and keep rests in time with sleep cycles. Something like one long rest per 24 hours. However, I'm pumped to try to play 5e with a little bit more strategy and weight.

jtmethod125
May 24th, 2017, 03:50
That's awesome, thanks for the info. Reading up on Dragonlance and seeing the replies has got me pumped for this, sounds like a really good time =D

Nymerah
May 24th, 2017, 14:35
Hi, new to fantasy grounds, but am a huge fan of Krynn and the Dragonlance setting. My timezone is GMT -6 (CDT/CST) and i am generally available during the weekdays M-F anytime after 7-8 pm.

I would most likely enjoy playing a Human Red Wizard. Can play any class should the group need something else.

Grimlore
May 25th, 2017, 20:58
Grimlore, GMT timezone reference please.
Mountain standard time doesnt mean anything to me.

My apologies, I'm GMT-6

Bresnod
May 28th, 2017, 16:14
Do you still have any openings or games running.

Wisewind
May 29th, 2017, 09:27
The start date and time has not been set yet.
Feel free to take a look at the basic info in the first post.

Tabarkus
May 29th, 2017, 13:26
I would be very interested in this game depending on the game time chosen. Krynn was my preferred game world back in 2nd Ed. I ran a campaign out of Taladas for a while recently but haven't run a PC in Krynn in a long time. My availability would be weeknights (GMT-4), except Thursdays; and any time on Saturdays; my weeknight time available would be very late for Sweden (GMT 24:00 till 05:00, if I'm calculating correctly).

terrorrize
May 29th, 2017, 18:17
id be interested, still relatively new to FG, krynn is by far my favorite fantasy setting.. monstrous tasselholf fan, kender just kill me (used to RP one back in the msn days lol) comfortable with everything dragonlance related.. i still own pretty much every paperback put out till 2nd gen/war of souls

Grundole
May 30th, 2017, 01:30
Hello

I am a huge Dragonlance fan. The first fantasy books I read in junior high, were the Elven nations trilogy. I now have my children reading Chronicles. I have been roleplaying for nearly 30 years and have been using FG for about 10 years. I have never had the chance to play in a Dragonlance game and would love the opportunity. It would be hard to pick a character, there are so many things I would like to play: Knight of Solamnia, a kender, a stuck up silvanesti, or a red mage. I think I would be most interested in maybe a white mage, though I am very willing to meet the need in a party.

Time Zone: GMT -6, Central Time Zone U.S.
Availability: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday evenings (Would prefer a later time, after 8:00)

Is there a plan for deciding a day and time and date for starting?

Thanks

flyaturtle
May 31st, 2017, 03:59
Like everyone else here, a big Dragonlance fan. The only series I've ever read more than 3 times. I remember having a couple modules like 20 years ago but never got a chance to play. Time to fulfill that dream of playing in a Dragonlance setting! I'd love to play a red mage or a half-elf ranger. I'm relatively new to 5th (just played recently at a con), so starting at level 1 is a plus for me. I'm a FG noob, but would go the extra mile as needed.

Time Zone: GMT -8, Pacific
Available: Mon, Tue, Thur, Sun evenings after 7pm

Chickaboom
May 31st, 2017, 16:25
I am a huge Dragonlance fan and would love to join a campaign set in Krynn. I played a lot of D&D in the 80's and 90's and recently started playing 5e. I love Fantasy Grounds and own a standard license. I would like to play a Kender (Hafling) Rogue or Human Fighter.
I am available weekdays, except Thurs from 5:00 - 10:00 PM GMT -6.

GunnarGreybeard
June 25th, 2017, 08:57
The start date and time has not been set yet.
Feel free to take a look at the basic info in the first post.
Hi Wisewind. I know you mentioned no start time date, do you estimate that this will be about the same time frame as the other game you ran a while back? IIRC it was evening for you and early morning for me (me being in GMT-6).

I probably cannot get involved for a month or so at least so am happy to stay in reserve if you are full up once you start, then jump in later if a spot opens up.

Longbow
June 25th, 2017, 16:21
Sir,

If your pool of players should ever grow or a spot opens, your giving me some consideration would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38904-LFG-1-Player-Any-Night-Game-(D-amp-D-5E)-CST-US-Time-Zone

GMT-5

V/R,

"Longbow"

waylorn
June 25th, 2017, 18:22
I was planning on running a DL game again but would like to be a player for a change, ounce the times are up ill submit a character. thanks

GunnarGreybeard
July 9th, 2017, 21:01
Hmm, nothing heard from Wisewind for a couple weeks now. :(

Laerun
July 10th, 2017, 19:56
Depending on what day of the week, count me in. I cut my DM teeth on the Dragonlance series and read most of the books. Would play just about anything. Playing Dnd since the early 80's, running FG 5e now on Saturday mornings., twice a month. Lookin to play for a change...

Laerun. I can start around 5:00 PM CST weekdays, almost anytime on weekends.

adamyaz
July 13th, 2017, 06:21
Bio:
I am a 35 yo in Denver CO and I am interested in finding a long term campaign group that meets bi-monthly. I am married with a 3 year old and am in graduate school as well so this makes it hard for me to find a group locally to play with in person during the times I have free.

Availability:
Best times are Weekdays, (I am in MST so GMT -6; 1600-2400 GMT), essentially I am free more often in the daytime on weekdays, not avail. on weekends

Experience:
I have played DnD since I was about 12 years old, 2nd edition on... played deeply in 3.5 and Pathfinder but then skipped 4e and then have not had a chance to game in a long time. I decided to check out 5e and really like the streamlined rules and character class builds. I am new to FG and am excited to try it out! I would be comfortable jumping in at any level but really love the mid-game levels the most, it seems to be where characters really hit their stride, not too powerful but have enough options to mix it up....
I have DM'd quite a bit in the past and developed a large homebrew world and campaign that I ran for about a year under the 3.5 version rules, it would be fun to adapt it to 5e and run it in FG, perhaps when I graduate school and have more time to play around in FG

Class Preferences:
I have played pretty much every character class but have a soft spot for finesse melee fighters, rogue-like martial types, psionics (when allowed), arcanists (sorcerers-Cha based spellcasters), monks and clerics. I would be happy to roll any of those characters based on team make-up preferences, etc....

Play style:
I like to RP, my first degree was in Acting, then I went into the medical field, long story...but I like to have fun with it and do not take it so seriously. I like gaming styles that range from a 50/50 to a 70/30 Combat/RP split. I am pretty laid back in-session but do enjoy a good challenging combat as well as solid character development and building in-game relationships amongst the other player's characters.

I have a Standard License on FG

I would love to check out Dragonlance, I have not read the books but would definitely acquaint myself with the world prior to play if this is a good fit :)

Adam

GunnarGreybeard
July 22nd, 2017, 06:15
Still no reply from Wisewind but seeing that there was a pretty good amount of interest earlier I thought I would revive the thread.

If there is still enough interest I could try putting something together and add a Game Calendar entry for prospective players. I have very little Dragonlance knowledge atm but would be willing to try an put something together (I have been researching that setting for the last couple of weeks or so for another project so I have a general idea about Krynn). Like stated in Wisewind's original post, it would have to be Text Chat based at least for the time being so please refer to the 1st post in this thread for reference.

Any interest?

adamyaz
July 22nd, 2017, 14:08
Still interested, let me know if we can get a group together. See my above post for bio and details.
Cheers!

GunnarGreybeard
July 22nd, 2017, 18:39
Still interested, let me know if we can get a group together. See my above post for bio and details.
Cheers!
It will likely be a weekday evening (Tue or Wed my days off so I could run anytime during the day as well) as I work weekends so I could run something then. Well see how many others post and go from there.

GunnarGreybeard
July 22nd, 2017, 19:34
I am thinking of this taking place in the Age of Mortals time frame BUT I wanted to throw in that I am not 'wedded' to the idea that magic does not work. Maybe there are some restrictions, maybe not. Depends on player input.

terrorrize
July 22nd, 2017, 21:23
sent ya a pm

GunnarGreybeard
July 22nd, 2017, 22:04
Yep, got it, thanks. Looks like we have at least 2-3 interested. If i get another I will set up a Game Calendar entry and probably start a new thread with more game details with suggested time/dates.

waylorn
July 23rd, 2017, 01:56
I would like to play, I dm dragonlance games and would like to be a player for ounce thanks.

Chandoran
July 23rd, 2017, 05:52
Hey Mike,

I'd be interested in joining up your new Dragonlance game.

Not too familiar with Dragonlance but I'd love to catch up on it.

Let me know if there would still be some space for me.

Thanks

Chandoran

GunnarGreybeard
July 23rd, 2017, 06:06
Sounds good Chandoran. I have like 4-5 interested right now but will likely lose one or 2 to scheduling issues where available times don't match up. I ll get a game calendar entry set up and some invites sent out here shortly.

GunnarGreybeard
July 23rd, 2017, 06:43
I sent out out invitations to all those who stated interest in the game (I think I got everyone but if you expressed interest and didn't get an invite please let me know and I will correct that oversight on my part :bandit: ).

We still need to work out scheduling details so please feel free to speak up. For me, I work nights through the weekend with my off days being late Tuesday morning through Thursday early afternoon (CDT or GMT -6/-5). I could possibly do a game between noon and early afternoon on other days (probably between 11AM-4PM) but those might be intermittent and get interrupted more often than the Tue-Thu sessions.

Beerbelly
July 24th, 2017, 01:58
I haven't read through all 5 pages of this, but I would love to play if there are any openings. I have been playing D&D for over 20 years, read most if not all the Dragonlance novels, (currently re-reading legends novels at the moment).

If there are any openings, I can play any role, but prefer melee or wizard.

I have also been using Fantasy Ground for going on 2 years, both running games and as a player. I'm very familiar with how to use it and can coach other players as needed.

GunnarGreybeard
July 24th, 2017, 04:01
Hi Beerbelly. I will probably start a new thread, my own since I kind of hijacked Wisewind's thread, for this game here shortly. Right now, if everyone shows and the times work out (still working on those atm) we are full up but in any even I sent you an invite to the Game Calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2656).

adamyaz
July 24th, 2017, 05:12
Hey Gunnar, responded on the calendar but Tues. morning-afternoon is the best time for me. I hope this will work for others, thanks for getting this group going.

Cheers!

GunnarGreybeard
July 24th, 2017, 09:20
Just an FYI, I started a new, clean thread at https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39377-LFP-5E-D-amp-D-Dragonlance-(Unlikely-Heroes)

Cappinator
July 24th, 2017, 10:11
If you have any spots left, I'd love to be considered to join. I have 5E experience and some FG experience (ultimate license with quite some 5E modules). I'm at GMT+1.
My preferred time would be Wednesday's after 7PM (GMT+1), but Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday (same time) would be possible too.

About me: I live in Belgium with my girlfriend and daughter, have played lots of D&D, starting from the 2nd Edition up to 5th. I've also played a few other tabletop rpg's like Shadowrun, Star Wars, some others. I have experience DM'ing, but after a few years of that I would like to just play again :)
My character: I'd love to play a rogue or druid. However, since divine spells won't work, I wonder if a druid would still be able to shapeshift. If not, it would be a skulking backstabbing thief for me :)

Thanks for considering me,
Christophe

GunnarGreybeard
July 24th, 2017, 11:38
Thanks for considering me,
Christophe

Right now we still have room as we are arranging a time that will work for the most players. Please check the updated information in the thread at https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39377-LFP-5E-D-amp-D-Dragonlance-(Unlikely-Heroes). You should be able to sign up using the link in the bottom of that thread.

Cappinator
July 24th, 2017, 12:43
Right now we still have room as we are arranging a time that will work for the most players. Please check the updated information in the thread at https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39377-LFP-5E-D-amp-D-Dragonlance-(Unlikely-Heroes). You should be able to sign up using the link in the bottom of that thread.

Signed up, Sir :)

wsorrentini
July 31st, 2017, 19:32
LFG 1 Player M to F 8AM-2PM EST USA/12PM-6PM GMT 5E

GunnarGreybeard
July 31st, 2017, 22:04
LFG 1 Player M to F 8AM-2PM EST USA/12PM-6PM GMT 5E

Unfortunately we are full up right now for the early game (the one that will likely be noon, CDT [GMT-5]). I have at least 6 with another 2 on standby already. This being a text only game, it will already be hard enough to run the game with that many without it getting slow.

AlohaJerry
October 13th, 2017, 02:52
LFG one player any day 07:30-11:00 GMT 5e

jeremythejedi
June 3rd, 2021, 08:42
Hey there,

I'm new to Fantasy Grounds (<2 weeks), but I'd totally be interested in something in the Dragonlance setting. Everyone knows Takhisis had vision. I know the post is a bit dated but if you're still keeping the fire alive, I'd be happy to forge a dragonlance over it with you. Let me know.

Jeremy (TBD Elf Cleric/Mage)