PDA

View Full Version : UI text unreadable

shanehokanstud
May 14th, 2017, 02:01
I use my TV for my monitor when DMing for live game with my buddies. I just recently upgraded to a 4k TV, and the now the text on the UI is practically unreadable. If I keep the UI scale at 100% then there's not enough real estate for me to use, but if I scale it down to have more space I can't read anything anymore.

I'm running vanilla 3.3 I downloaded from Steam with no extensions of any kind. I've seen videos on YouTube of other DMs that seem to have the scaling the way I want it, but their text is perfectly legible. Is this an issue with using a 4k monitor? I feel like there is a simple solution to this problem but I'm just too ignorant to know what that solution is. A little help FG peeps?

Trenloe
May 14th, 2017, 03:24
Welcome to the forums shanehokanstud

If I keep the UI scale at 100% then there's not enough real estate for me to use, but if I scale it down to have more space I can't read anything anymore.
If you have a 4K TV and it's running at 4K resolution, and Fantasy Grounds /scaleui 100 give not enough space then Windows is doing scaling as well.

Under Windows display settings, check that "Change the size of text, apps and other items" is 100%: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-text-apps-bigger-windows-10

LordEntrails
May 14th, 2017, 06:07
Or change the resolution of the TV. I find that 4k is too small for everything I use it for. Instead I run my 4k monitor at 1920 x 1080.

In the end, you will just have to play with display resolution, FG scaleui, and Windows scaling to get what you want.

shanehokanstud
May 14th, 2017, 20:01
You were exactly right. Thank you so much! :)

Nylanfs
May 14th, 2017, 20:15
Yep, ever since more people have been getting 4K monitors quite a few old programs are having the same issues. At PCGen we're having to rewrite the gui from using Swing to JavaFX because of this.