PDA

View Full Version : Token Box Idea

Tailz Silver Paws
January 9th, 2006, 00:59
I'm finding that the bags in the token box is not the best way of sorting tokens. I am wondering if the makers of FG have thought about a different way of sorting all the many different tokens a GM is likely to have?

Maybe in an "expert mode" form the token box could display named "token bags/folders" with sorted named tokens.

eg: in my token box I could have a bag named "Room Elements" and inside it I have toeksn of doors, tables, chairs, etc etc etc. I could then have another bag called "Monsters" and inside it I have all my creature tokens, etc.

I like it how I can see the tokens in the box, but when I have a lot of tokens, it gets... cluttered. and its then that I kind of wish it was a text based list.

Faldran
January 9th, 2006, 01:16
Yeah, simple tree style listing of the folders/images would be great to have..

devinnight
January 9th, 2006, 04:48
This has come up more than once in the past.
I guess we can wait and see if it is addressed in the 1.06 version.
If not we'll keep on wrestling with the FG team until they can give us an alternative.
-D

heliopolix
January 14th, 2006, 21:09
Within the Tokens folder in the FG folder, create sub-folders, and name them to those things (and sub-sub folders, etc, depending on the level of depth). Move the tokens to the appropriate folders. When you start FG, there will be bags set up with all your tokens in them, named the same as the folders. You can hover your mouse to see the names of the bags.

Keep in mind that any moving of tokens you have done in the Token box in FG are stored in the usersettings folder in whichever campaign you had open when you moved the tokens. There will be a file called tokens_<YourName>.

If FG will not start after you have sorted the tokens into folders in the Tokens folder in the FG folder, you need to delete that file (the tokens_<YourName>) , and then start FG again.

Hope this helps you organize your tokens a bit.

Jeffrey

Faldran
January 15th, 2006, 06:06
We already know that..

We want a better way to organize them... the token bags, looks cool, but functional, it is kind of pain...

disco54
April 28th, 2006, 23:15
.... /agree.

varlik
May 8th, 2006, 19:35
I also agree that it would be helpful. One way I've found to mitigate this problem is to sort my tokens using windows file manager in any hierarchy I want, then create folders (bags) for each encounter and copy the tokens for that encounter to them. When I'm done I have a bag for each adventure and within them a bag for each encounter, etc. That way when I get to each encounter I have everything that I need in 1 bag and it usually isn't cluttered. Since my encounters are numbered in order, so are my bags so I can just go from one to the next in the sorted list.

Of course this is of no help if you are doing things on the fly but it has saved me alot of time as I'm never searching for a token while running the game. And if you plan everything ahead of time, it essentially offers the exact same functionality we are talking about because in file manager you can view by thumbnails or names and create any structure you want.

Wraith
May 8th, 2006, 20:13
I like the token bags and would be disappointed if the devs changed that part of the program.

Griogre
May 8th, 2006, 21:37
varlik that is a good idea.

I wish we could tie tokens to specific modules and this idea would be even better. Aren't they suppose to be doing something with tokens in 1.06?

Cantstanzya
May 9th, 2006, 00:20
I like the token bags and would be disappointed if the devs changed that part of the program.Agreed! I don't want windows functions, I want the look and feel of the desktop.

Tailz Silver Paws
May 9th, 2006, 03:01
Agreed! I don't want windows functions, I want the look and feel of the desktop.

I can see your point, but as a GM/DM I don't want to spend 10min digging through my cyberspace model box to find the model/token I am after.

joshuha
May 9th, 2006, 12:17
Agreed! I don't want windows functions, I want the look and feel of the desktop.

How about a toggle to make both camps happy?

Cantstanzya
May 9th, 2006, 18:04
How about a toggle to make both camps happy?Personally I'd rather see the development time go toward something else.

joshuha
May 9th, 2006, 18:53
Personally I'd rather see the development time go toward something else.

I agree, doesn't mean we shouldn't add it to the "list" though. As a software engineer myself I realize the need of putting important change requests into patches in an order of needs (both political and technical). Hell we have things going into patches we know won't be released for at least a year but we can still tell the customer it's being fixed :).

Sigurd
May 10th, 2006, 13:19
I like the feel of the token box and the final display with all the graphic files is really nice but it is underpowered.

Potentially 20+ identical bags revealed only by mouse over doesn't work for me.

It works if you are draconian and sparce but when have you seen a gamer do that with his\her miniatures?

I'd like the option of dropping to a directory structure and a button to refresh the available system tokens.

Sigurd

Cantstanzya
May 10th, 2006, 17:00
Potentially 20+ identical bags revealed only by mouse over doesn't work for me.
SigurdA quick fix for this would be if they made it so the token bag labels were always visible and you didn't have to hover your mouse over it to see what each bag contains. Either that or have the token bags icon customizable so you could have a different graphic for each token bag.

varlik
May 11th, 2006, 00:54
I'm more than happy to manipulate my tokens outside of the game using file manager and don't want the actual look of the box to change either (except maybe to have the labels there all the time). The only thing I would really like to see changed is to have the token box update dynamically. The way it works now, if I copy tokens around using file manager while the game is running, I have to close the game and reopen it to have my changes appear. It would be nice if the box updated every time you open it so that if I need something during the game I can jump to the file manager, copy the token to where I want it to be, and have it be there when I go back to the game.

Tailz Silver Paws
May 11th, 2006, 04:16
I think you need to have both options, what about when you have one token that takes up almost all of the token box and hides the other tokens below it?

Or if you have lots of tokens?

I agree that both camps can have their cake and eat it. If you like it the current way you will not use the other feature, but it you want the other feature you will use it.

Everyone will be happy then.

Griogre
May 11th, 2006, 21:20
I think you need to have both options, what about when you have one token that takes up almost all of the token box and hides the other tokens below it?
I agree this is a huge problem with colossal and gigantic size creatures and I use smaller tokens than most here.

DNH
July 13th, 2007, 14:27
*bump* with an added question: was this ever addressed with FG2? i would seriously like to have some sort of tree directory structure available within the token bags at least, if not throughout the app.

thanks.

Griogre
July 13th, 2007, 21:14
FG2 did not add a windows tree structure. It did add several things to tokens but kept the same "look and feel."

1) Tokens "Shrink" down smaller in the token box and can be resized in the combat tracker negating the need for having the same token at different sizes.

2) Host tokens are not transfered permanently to clients - stopping token spam.

3) Of the most interest to this thread - tokens can now be included in modules when they are exported and can be attached to personalities. This means that personalities will already have tokens on them if you placed the token on the personality when you made them and that you will have only the tokens you need for the module. Both reduce the amount of tokens in your box at any one time.

John_Geeshu
July 14th, 2007, 18:56
The main thing I find frustrating about the token box -- and this may be my ignorance -- is how the tokens all cluster together in the top left corner. I've not been able to get the sort function to work for me.

Also, we need more tokens

Griogre
July 14th, 2007, 19:03
If you are using he default ruleset you should be able to right click on the open token box and select arrange tokens at about 4 o'clock. Does this work with the General letter tokens?

If your tokens are very large compaired to the token box they might still stay in the top left, but "medium" sized tokens should arrange themselves.

John_Geeshu
July 14th, 2007, 19:16
Like you say, it works for letter-tokens, but not for hi-res monster tokens.

Bakshara
September 10th, 2007, 16:54
I'm finding that the bags in the token box is not the best way of sorting tokens. I am wondering if the makers of FG have thought about a different way of sorting all the many different tokens a GM is likely to have?

Maybe in an "expert mode" form the token box could display named "token bags/folders" with sorted named tokens.

eg: in my token box I could have a bag named "Room Elements" and inside it I have toeksn of doors, tables, chairs, etc etc etc. I could then have another bag called "Monsters" and inside it I have all my creature tokens, etc.

I like it how I can see the tokens in the box, but when I have a lot of tokens, it gets... cluttered. and its then that I kind of wish it was a text based list.

In the \Tokens\Host and \Tokens\Shared folders you make "bags" to keep tokens in. Thus the \Tokens\Shared\Undead folder would be a bag containing undead. I have also found that you can create sub-folders, which then creates bags inside of bags. So you could have, for example, the following folder structure:
\Tokens\Shared\Undead\Common
\Tokens\Shared\Undead\Monster
\Tokens\Shared\Undead\Special

and under these would be bags that would contain, respectivly:
Common: Common undead (Duh!)
Monster: Monstrous undead, ie Goblins, Orcs, Ogres, etc.
Special: Draco-Lichs, Fire Giant Ghouls, Zombie Dragons, etc.

Then you would have less bags in the "main" token box, that are each "catagorical" bags. And each bag could then contain bags of all the monsters/creatures of that category.

Bakshara

Griogre
September 10th, 2007, 19:02
I find it better for me to just do them alphabetically for generals. IE A-G, H-Q and R-Z. I do usually keep specific Adventure Tokens in a seperate bag though. With you now able to attach a token to personalities and personalities with their tokens now being exported with modules, I find my self seldom having to open the token box at all. I really only open it normally for "general" generic tokens I use when I don't actually have a monster token.

Tokuriku
September 11th, 2007, 09:08
Yeah, the attachment of tokens to sheets has made it that I do not open the token box either.
Very intuitive way of solving the previous problem without changing the feel of the game (even if it wasn't directly for that reason that they put it in).

One thing that could still satisfy those that still want the tree thing could be if FG could accept outside drag-drop. Keep a folder open where you have your tokens and drag-drop them in FG to have a token created. That way, the feel we have now wouldn't even be broken for those who'd use that method...
Am I making any sense here?