PDA

View Full Version : Corrupted XML DB errors...

Laerun
May 10th, 2017, 13:13
I had an application crash (memory allocation error) and I was not able to reload my current session, how do I go about renaming or using one of the backups?

~:confused:~

Andraax
May 10th, 2017, 13:20
Go to your campaign directory, delete db.xml, and rename your last backup to db.xml.

Laerun
May 12th, 2017, 00:26
This did not work. I did try to load another new campaign and it worked. How do I start fresh? I tried to uninstall and reinstall and I am lost. The updater works, but cannot find the .exe file to load up fantasy grounds.

Andraax
May 12th, 2017, 00:34
You start fresh by creating a new campaign. You do not need to uninstall and reinstall the software to do so. And you should have multiple db.*.xml files in your campaign directory (once for each session that was started) so you can find one that still works.

Laerun
May 12th, 2017, 00:52
It worked sorta, but now I am getting a random parse issues, probably because I have cleaned up my image libraries and made it impossible to parse the previous work. I am at a loss. I lost a lot of work...

Laerun

Moon Wizard
May 12th, 2017, 01:36
Make sure to keep all the backup files in place, just create copies in case you need them again.

You should see a number of db.sessions.#.xml files in the campaign directory. One is created the first time you log in each day. You need to try each one going back in time to find the one that has the most data. It is usually the largest one by file size.

Just make a copy of that file, rename to db.xml and start FG to see what data is included.

If you send a screenshot of your campaign folder in Windows Explorer using the File Details view, we can probably pick out the one you should try first.

A couple other things:
* Was this the first time you used this campaign where it got the memory allocation error, or have you opened and closed the campaign a few times before it happened?
* If you are getting a memory allocation error, then you have too much data being loaded into your campaign. Try unloading modules, making sure images are 2048x2048 or smaller, and removing all the tokens in your FG tokens directory under the FG data folder. You can check memory usage using Windows Task Manager.
* If you want to drill in on the memory issues, tell us these pieces of information:
** File size and dimensions of each file in your campaign images directory
** Number of files, total file size and dimensions for files in your tokens directory (both host and shared)
** Provide your modulestate.xml file from your campaign directory to show us which modules you are loading
** Run Windows Task Manager after you start the campaign in FG, and tell us how much memory FG is using without opening any windows.

Regards,
JPG

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
May 12th, 2017, 01:38
First - make a copy of your corrupted campaign.

Next: as Andraax says, work your way back through the db.session.xxxxxxx.xml files (where xxxxxxx is a set of digits) - with Fantasy Grounds not running, copy the most recent db.session.xxxxxxx.xml file and rename the copy to db.xml (removing the previous db.xml). Then load up Fantasy Grounds and open the campaign. If you have errors, then work your way backwards: if you order by date modified in file explorer you can try the most recent, and if that doesn't work, go to the next, and the next, etc. - close Fantasy Grounds before you do the next copy to db.xml.

If you can at least load up the campaign (even with the errors due to removing images) you should have access to a lot of the data and can edit or delete (through the FG interface) any records that have errors.

Laerun
May 12th, 2017, 03:20
I reinstalled FG and tried to start over, fresh. I am still getting these bad allocation issues. 18952 I had no one connected. I have no tokens or too may extensions. I have the D&D extension and the Fantasy Languages extensions enabled. I had no maps loaded or even selected yet. I am trying to build a story encounter and have a dozen mods enabled in my library to draw from in creation. Once I was to be done, I was going to disable most of the resources mods and save my work as a module. My token files are numerous but I have not even accessed them or enables any token mods....I have a 64 bit Windows 10 with 32 GB of RAM, and I know that the FG software teeters on the edge of 3.5 GB to trigger a crash? I am going to try to slim the load up some, but this is still crazy. I can not wait for eh FGU release...

Trenloe
May 12th, 2017, 03:26
Yep, the memory limit is an inescapable fact with any 32-bit application, it doesn't matter how much memory your PC has. You'll have to close some of those modules. Sorry.

Moon Wizard
May 12th, 2017, 04:46
It doesn't matter if you have accessed them. The way that the FG engine was built (before my time) is that all tokens and modules are loaded when the campaign is started.

As I brought up above, try running Task manager to see what memory is running at, and check again after emptying your tokens directory and again after disabling modules. You can find out who the primary memory usage culprits are.

Regards,
JPG

ddavison
May 12th, 2017, 15:21
This doesn't appear to have been mentioned before either, so also make sure that your Data Directory is not on a synchronized location like dropbox, Google Docs, OneDocument or any other auto-sync'd location. These have been known to cause problems when it syncs while Fantasy Grounds is still running and accessing the files.