PDA

View Full Version : Making or having made an item for AL

DragonsDen13
May 10th, 2017, 07:06
In the game I just played tonight my character got a Red Dragon Scale. The DM said it radiated with powerful abjuration and illusion magic. I was hoping that it could be used/turned into a shield.

My question is: Does AL allow for this type of thing and if so, how would I go about having it done (in AL specifically)?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

tiawaz
May 10th, 2017, 17:59
In the game I just played tonight my character got a Red Dragon Scale. The DM said it radiated with powerful abjuration and illusion magic. I was hoping that it could be used/turned into a shield.

Hmm, i am not aware of a mod that rewards something like that, could you elaborate on what module you were playing?

My question is: Does AL allow for this type of thing and if so, how would I go about having it done (in AL specifically)?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Crafting, especially of magic items, is rather restricted in AL, so absent any specific Documentation (e.g. Item Certificates) most DM's probably would ask you to not use such an item at their Table.

Teufelhunde87
May 10th, 2017, 23:00
The Red Dragon Scale is in DDEX 1-5 and show up in the Temple of the Scale. described a s follows:
The object is quite large—the size of a large shield—and
looks to be made of polished red metal inscribed with runes.
On closer inspection it is described as this.
Developments
The relic is a huge, flawless scale from an ancient red
dragon--nearly three feet wide--engraved with runes and
inlayed with silver, gold, and platinum.
If a character casts detect magic, the scale radiates
powerful abjuration and illusion magic, but an identify
spell reveals no actual properties.
Though not specifically noted as a magical item , it does have magical (abjuration and Illusion) aura , but no properties revealed.
I was thought that creatively, this object could be turned in to a magical shield of some time, using downtime and gold, and used by a character. This sounds like a good idea, but we were unsure how to handle this unique situation in AL.
It is an art object worth 300 GP and I will let the character sell it as such if it is deemed inappropriate to make an item from it. He purchased it from the party. I personally liked the idea and initiative, but wasn't sure how to handle it.

tiawaz
May 10th, 2017, 23:20
Well, the general rule is that you go strictly by the treasure section in the published material

Accordingly the scale is 'merely' a valuable art object.

You could reflavour it into a really cool/pimp/swanky looking regular shield wo any mechanical benefits
beyond those of a regular shield. Most DMs would not have a problem with that afaict.

Unfortunately this loss of flexibility is one of the drawbacks of organized play.

You might also try the AL DM Facebook Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/DMsLeague/)
but the three points above probably cover most of the points people will make...

Teufelhunde87
May 10th, 2017, 23:25
Well, the general rule is that you go strictly by the treasure section in the published material

Accordingly the scale is 'merely' a valuable art object.

You could reflavour it into a really cool/pimp/swanky looking regular shield wo any mechanical benefits
beyond those of a regular shield. Most DMs would not have a problem with that afaict.

Unfortunately this loss of flexibility is one of the drawbacks of organized play.

You might also try the AL DM Facebook Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/DMsLeague/)
but the three points above probably cover most of the points people will make...
It's ok either way, he can always "sell " it to the right buyer with a downtime charge to look for that buyer. Would make a nasty looking shield, albeit expensive if no frills!

tiawaz
May 10th, 2017, 23:32
Well, some DM's probably would like players who do stuff like that. I could imagine persuasion or intimidation DCs being lowered for a player who cleverly weaves his 'special' shield into the story.
Other DMs and quite a few players would probably call you stupid for wasting money like that on 'frills' that don't give you 20 in a combat stat.
YMMV