PDA

View Full Version : Norton Constantly Deleting Fantasy Grounds on applying updates

legitomega
May 8th, 2017, 18:17
Im ready to say to hell with norton for the constant reinstalling of fg.

Whenever i apply with latest minor updates, norton insight says " hey, less than 20 people have this file...soo i deleted it for you, thanks ***. "

has anyone else been running into problems with Norton insight thinking fantasy grounds is a virus or malware?

I just opened fg up, and the update button was red, for a minor update that didnt change the patch number, to which norton said hell no - delete fg...

Im not mad at fg, just wanting to slit nortons throat and drown them in a pool of red 0's and 1's.

Am i the only one?

Moon Wizard
May 8th, 2017, 18:35
Which mode are you using for updates (Live, Test or Dev)?

This is the first report that we've had for any issues with Norton Insight. I haven't updated the client file in the Live mode since last Tuesday, though I did update the updater just now in the Dev mode. If running in Dev mode, please switch back to Live or Test.

More than likely, you'll need to set an exception for the FantasyGrounds client and updater files in Norton. Since those files perform a self-updating cycle as part of keeping the software up to date, they are sometimes identified incorrectly as malware/virus.

Regards,
JPG

legitomega
May 8th, 2017, 18:48
its in live mode.
says it deleted it for having a bad reputation.
threat name ws.reputation.1

it completely deleted fantasy grounds from my computer, instead of quarenting it.

Filename: fantasygrounds.exe
Threat name: WS.Reputation.1Full Path: c:\program files (x86)\fantasy grounds\fantasygrounds.exe

On computers as of*
4/13/2017 at 5:58:00 PM

Last Used*
5/8/2017 at 12:10:44 PM

Startup Item*
No

Launched*
No

Threat type: Insight Network Threat. There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy and therefore not safe

fantasygrounds.exe Threat name: WS.Reputation.1
Locate

Few Users
Fewer than 50 users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Very New
This file was released less than 1 week *ago.

Medium
This file risk is medium.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patch/SWK02/1484/FantasyGrounds.exe
Downloaded File from fantasygrounds.com
Source: External Media

fantasygrounds.exe

File Actions

File: c:\program files (x86)\fantasy grounds\ fantasygrounds.exe Removed

File Thumbprint - SHA:
e22ef58a02088fdc02afb7d892736e8d447336a4a03420e972 a84b2334d0f080
File Thumbprint - MD5:
aedb38ec2f7edeb7b498b004da57c064

legitomega
May 8th, 2017, 18:58
ok, now i have another problem...i redownloaded fantasy grounds, after updating my client will not recognize my account key..

im stuck in free mode....
i retyped my account key in and updated a second time - still shows free version.

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 19:02
Make you sure type it in exactly - no spaces at the end or beginning. Only put it in the top License Key field.

If you're a subscriber, make sure your subscription is still in effect on PayPal - if PayPal cannot take a payment, or you cancel (even before the month is up), your FG key will be invalidated.

If it still shows "free" after checking the above, look at "Wrong Fantasy Grounds Version" here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34865-v3-2-x-Issues-Problems-after-updating-Random-script-errors-etc

legitomega
May 8th, 2017, 19:27
ok i have restarted my computer
deleted ALL traces of fantasy grounds from my computer
forced norton to trust fantasy grounds, and re downloaded the client.
made sure its in live mode.

after updating the client with my subscription key typed in..... still have free version, my subscription is fine and active.

norton has screwed me and my account over apparently....

i dont know what to do....unless i unsubcribe and make a newsubscription..

legitomega
May 8th, 2017, 19:55
Well...I just received a email from paypal saying smiteworks has canceled my subscription. I guess thats the issue with my account key.

I had a standard subscription - I didnt tell paypal to stop payments, so apparently someone on the smiteworks side did...

guess ill have to setup another subcription or just outright buy a lisence.

problem solved

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 19:58
Well...I just received a email from paypal saying smiteworks has canceled my subscription. I guess thats the issue with my account key.

I had a standard subscription - I didnt tell paypal to stop payments, so apparently someone on the smiteworks side did...
Email [email protected] with your old license key. They'll let you know why it was cancelled - might help to avoid it happening in future.

ddavison
May 8th, 2017, 22:56
Hey legitomega, that sort of thing with PayPal is pretty common. PayPal doesn't do a very good job of retrying payments or contacting subscribers to let them know when their payment method is failing or their expiration date changed. All it does is email you that the account has been Suspended. Even if you fix the problem, there is no way to make it Active again automatically from your end. For this reason, we periodically sweep the Suspended accounts and cancel them. This causes the update back to Free and requires you to start a new subscription where the payment method is checked when you sign back up. Just insert the new license key, run the update and you should be fully restored to how things were before the payment issue.