PDA

View Full Version : Very high memory usage

Chastema
May 8th, 2017, 16:43
Hi there,
I am having problems with fg using way over 2gb ram. I am just using a demo account to connect to someone who is running a DSA-Module by drachenzwinge.de. Should it be that much? other players that are connected to the same guy report much lower values.

My system is old and slow, 32bit vista, 4 GB ram. But i feel like i should be able to run teamspeak and fantasygrounds without getting in trouble...

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 16:48
Welcome to the forums Chastema

The usual reason for a player instance running high on memory is that the GM has allowed access to modules that aren't really designed for players. Or the GM has shared big maps (in excess of 2038x2048 pixels in size).

What modules has the GM allowed you access to, and which of them have you opened?

As you are running a 32-bit operating system you are going to have to be very careful with memory use, as you will start seeing issues as FantasyGrounds.exe approaches 2GB memory use (which is the limit on a 32-bit operating system) - so only open the resources you absolutely have to. A better way is for the GM to only share information as its needed, not to share a whole module.

The GM should also check the maps they have shared, and keep them below 2048x2048 pixels if at all possible.

Wookiee420
May 8th, 2017, 18:06
To make this even easier on players computers, I recommend the GM doesnt share anything at all till everyone is in game, then he can share whatever is needed and the players can load items one at a time as they require them.

Nickademus
May 8th, 2017, 21:14
The usual reason for a player instance running high on memory is that the GM has allowed access to modules that aren't really designed for players.

This isn't true. The 5e PHB, after being 'optimized' for player use, uses around 1.5 GB just by itself. For a system that has 4 GB RAM, it's not just the GM modules that would be an issue. All the core rulebook modules could be a problem. There have been threads discussing why the modules use so much memory and how to reduce it but nothing productive has come from them.

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 21:27
This isn't true. The 5e PHB, after being 'optimized' for player use, uses around 1.5 GB just by itself.
In my testing, the 5E PHB "only" takes up around 800MB on the player side, not 1.5GB. For example, I've just done a test on a player instance and gone from 244MB to 1,023MB when opening the PHB module. Hence why I mentioned the "usual" reason for running high on memory (which would be caused by much more than just the PHB) is sharing more modules - and "usually" the GM sharing GM orientated modules. But, despite this, I still asked which modules were activated so we at least get an idea if any of these modules could be the issue.

@Chastema Please take a look at what I mentioned in post #2 and give some feedback on which modules you have open (whether relevant to players or not), large maps being shared, etc.. For example, if the GM has shared the whole map of Aventuria with you, which is a very large map - then that could be taking up a lot of memory when opened - or even if it is unopened, but in a shared module.

Let us know and I'm sure we can help make things a little better.

Balasar
May 21st, 2017, 00:36
I am bumping this because I am having a very similar issue. I have 3 gigs of memory usage from fantasy grounds and I am the only player with this issue. I currently do not have any of the modules that the dm has shared opened on my end. When I open only the PHB my memory usage jumps up to 3.7 gigs and typically will eventually crash my fantasy grounds. Does anyone have any ideas?

Trenloe
May 21st, 2017, 01:01
I am bumping this because I am having a very similar issue. I have 3 gigs of memory usage from fantasy grounds and I am the only player with this issue. I currently do not have any of the modules that the dm has shared opened on my end. When I open only the PHB my memory usage jumps up to 3.7 gigs and typically will eventually crash my fantasy grounds. Does anyone have any ideas?
Clear your cache first. On the Join Game screen, click the "nuke" icon in the top left before joining the game.

If you are still running with lots of memory after clearing the cache: exit FG back to the start screen. Click the folder button in the top right. In the file explorer window that opens, navigate to the cache\<name of the campaign you're playing in> directory. Take a screenshot of the files in this directory (including their file size) and post that as an attachment in this thread so we can help you further.

Nickademus
May 21st, 2017, 01:06
Ask the GM to unshare any images that the players are no longer using. Also ask the GM how many tokens he/she has in the shared folder. Nuking your player cache may also reduce the memory usage (click the nuke button on the Join Game screen).

Balasar
May 21st, 2017, 01:12
I can't do this tonight because we are about to start our session but I have brought all these things to light within out group and we are going to explore these options over the next couple of days