PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

Bloodsworn
May 8th, 2017, 04:34
I am planning to purchase Ultimate license but I have a few questions before doing so.
How much content is contained in the Ultimate/standard licenses? I understand it comes with core rules and some other stuff but i was wondering how many other modules i would have to purchase to be able to begin. Also can all the stuff contained in the modules be just added in as custom stuff? Also is there a way to add/create large lists of monsters/items to FG without getting modules?

damned
May 8th, 2017, 05:19
Hello and welcome Bloodsworn

Both the Full and Ultimate contain the same amount of DLC as each other which is to say that the only additional DLC they contain over the Demo client is:
A good number of tokens
The D&D 5e SRD in FG format.

The Demo client also contains about 6 portraits and a basic 3.5e and PF SRD resource.

You can start playing either of these systems straight away with the included content but you will find the purchased DLC to have much more detail and options.

The first question e really have to ask is what rulesystem are you planning to run?

For 5e this thread is good:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e

Zacchaeus
May 8th, 2017, 05:21
Hi bloodsworn, welcome to FG.

The answers you seek could be dependent on what ruleset you want to play (Savage Worlds, 3.5, pathfinder, 5e)? So some indication from you will help in forming an answer. Oh, and I assume you will be the DM?

dulux-oz
May 8th, 2017, 05:22
Hi Bloodsworn, and Welcome! to the Community,

Both the Standard and Ultimate Licenses come with the same content: Rulesets to play 3.5E D&D, 4E D&D, 5E D&D, Pathfinder, d20 Modern and Numenera, plus the CoreRPG which is a "generic" Ruleset (someone will be along to correct me if I'm wrong). Also included is the 3.5E D&D SRD and the 5E SRD. The difference between the Standard and Ultimate License is that with a GM with a Standard License all the Players need Standard or Ultimate Licenses, while a GM with an Ultimate License the Players can have any License (even the free Demo License).

Some terminology: a Ruleset is the set of computer code that allows us to play a given RPG with FG; an Extension is an optional extra set of computer code to add functionality to a given Ruleset (ie, a Plug-In); a Module is a set of Data about a given RPG. So, the 3.5E Players Handbook is a Module in FG-terms, as is the Monster Manual, and the Adventure Modules (obviously). A Campaign is created for each game we want to run as a GM - you can have as many campaigns as you want.

You don't need anything else to play a game other than the given RPG's Ruleset - all of the Data (the monsters, treasure, traps, adventures, etc) can be entered in manually at no monetary cost. Of course, if you purchase the relevant Module then the Data is what you are purchasing, pre-loaded and ready to go.

So no, you don't have to purchase anything extra.

Yes, all of the stuff can be entered in manually as custom stuff.

Yes, all of the stuff can be entered into the main campaign - but you find it way easier to enter it into a Module as the Modules are re-useable, whereas Campaigns really aren't. You enter stuff into a Module by entering it into a Campaign (I use a special dev campaign, not my main game campaign) and then export what I want to a Module using the /export command.

Finally, if you haven't done so already, let me encourage you to take a look at some of the great Tutorial Videos available on the Fantasy Grounds Wiki (and on YouTube). Damn's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below).

Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with Fantasy Grounds - so by learning how to use FG with the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with Fantasy Grounds. Once you've gone through the CoreRPG Videos you can then go on to Videos about your chosen RPG.

When you get familiar with the basic Fantasy Grounds product the next step is to check out some of the Extensions (Plug-Ins) for FG, such as the DOE: Sound, DOE: Locations, DOE: Weather and DOE: Organisations Extensions (to name a but a few - and a Shameless(™) Self Plug).

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly lot here, and we love answering questions.

Cheers

Edit: Damn! :ninja::ninja: Ninja'd by both damned and Zac - that's what I get for writing long, detailed responses!

Bloodsworn
May 8th, 2017, 05:57
Mainly i was planning to play 5e (may try other types as well), yea i would be DM (may trade off with my brother or someone at some point but would probally use my comp to do it)

Thanks for your responses. Delux-oz i wouldn't worry about getting beat to the response because you went for a thorough response i prefer complete responses too :)

Bloodsworn
May 8th, 2017, 06:01
What i really wanted to know is what is in the SRD or whatever verses the modules you have to buy? im not sure i want to dish out the extra 40$ for each main book plus the others when i allready own all the main books in hardcover and some in pdf form on my computer.

Bloodsworn
May 8th, 2017, 06:12
Hello and welcome Bloodsworn

Both the Full and Ultimate contain the same amount of DLC as each other which is to say that the only additional DLC they contain over the Demo client is:
A good number of tokens
The D&D 5e SRD in FG format.

The Demo client also contains about 6 portraits and a basic 3.5e and PF SRD resource.

You can start playing either of these systems straight away with the included content but you will find the purchased DLC to have much more detail and options.

The first question e really have to ask is what rulesystem are you planning to run?

For 5e this thread is good:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e

This Thread actually helps alot, Thanks. So, if i understand correctly basically you just get the rules and backbone for setting up everything with the license. The modules are just basically fully done databases that you can use instead of manually adding in everything?

dulux-oz
May 8th, 2017, 06:22
Yeah, that's a good way to say it :)

Cheers

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 06:28
For 5e you also get modules containing the contents of the Basic Rules and SRD with the standard or ultimate license. Quite a lot of info there already.

SRD: https://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/SRD-OGL_V5.1.pdf
Basic Rules: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Szabtom
May 8th, 2017, 11:00
Hi Bloodsworn, the monthly subscription is a good way to start without spending a large sum on the core software. It comes with a 30-day free period / money back guarantee, if I am not mistaken. The paid D&D content will still set you back a sizeable amount, I recommend the Player' Deluxe pack and either an adventure module OR the DMG. I have the DMG but I DM modules and I have not used it yet. I have the hardback if I need to refer to a rule.
Note that the subscription does not entitle the buyer to any discount when switching to the fully purchased version. Also, to access DLC content you need a non-demo licence.