PDA

View Full Version : Content Packs for Players

Michael Hopcroft
May 8th, 2017, 03:14
If you are going to play in an AL FG game, but not GM, which content packages if any do you need to buy, either as proof of ownership or simply to get the interface to work?

Alyksandrei
May 8th, 2017, 21:09
If you're not planning on GMing, you shouldn't need anything but FG Demo, provided you have the books you're using in hardcopy, or the pdfs of the Basic Rules and/or SRD. If you don't have those, you'll either need to download the pdfs from Wizards (they're free, but have limited options) or get at least the class pack for your character(s). If you're going to GM, you'll at least need the "Core Class Pack" aka PHB Deluxe and the FG version of the modules. DMG is probably highly recommended as well.

Disclaimer: I'm not an AL expert or GM, but I do play. I have hardcopy materials and a FG Demo license.

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 21:14
If you're not planning on GMing, you shouldn't need anything but FG Demo...
Having the FG demo will restrict you to finding games where the GM has the Ultimate license only, you cannot join games where the GM has the standard license. Best to get a Standard license so this will allow you to join any game.

Michael Hopcroft
May 9th, 2017, 03:52
Having the FG demo will restrict you to finding games where the GM has the Ultimate license only, you cannot join games where the GM has the standard license. Best to get a Standard license so this will allow you to join any game.

I already have a standard GM-compatible license (allowing access to paid clients). My questions mainly concern content I would need to use to play in an AL game. I have the book my character requires (PHB Only) but not the content pack.

This, of course, assumes anyone is interested in having a 3rd-level Battle Master in their party, which is questionable (and a long story....)

Trenloe
May 9th, 2017, 04:51
You don't need to buy anything (beyond the license) to be able to enter your PC/s (manually) and game.

You may find the PHB (Core Class Pack) handy if you want drag-and-drop character maintenance, but it's not a requirement.

tiawaz
May 9th, 2017, 15:56
I already have a standard GM-compatible license (allowing access to paid clients). My questions mainly concern content I would need to use to play in an AL game. I have the book my character requires (PHB Only) but not the content pack.

There is no FG specific Content Pack you would need as a player to join a AL game. Tho stuff like the core classes is certainly helpful since it saves a lot of manual work

There is a 'Content pack' on DMSGuild that contains the AL specific rules, FAQ etc. as PDF,
it can be found here: DD Adventurers League Players Pack (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/208178/DD-Adventurers-League-Players-Pack?src=also_purchased&filters=45470_0_0_0_0_0_0_0)

This, of course, assumes anyone is interested in having a 3rd-level Battle Master in their party, which is questionable (and a long story....)

The most frequently mention resource for finding online AL games is alonlinetools (https://www.alonlinetools.net)

And theres also facebook:

AL Discussions (https://www.facebook.com/groups/adventurersleague/)
AL Games (https://www.facebook.com/groups/Moonsea.Pub/)

GarthGiantbane
May 9th, 2017, 16:29
Also check the One-Shot Games thread in the LFG - Looking for Group forum. There are a few regular AL games being posted there.

Teufelhunde87
May 9th, 2017, 20:54
If you are going to play in an AL FG game, but not GM, which content packages if any do you need to buy, either as proof of ownership or simply to get the interface to work?

I try to run weekly AL games now, I got the fire!!! If you need help getting started let me know. The others did a great job in answering, it all sounds a lot more legal than it is. PHB characters with 1 other resource from the following (Elemental Evil players Companion, Sword Coast Adventurers Guide, Volo's Guide to Monsters). Standard array or 27 point buy abilities , and PHB class and background starting equipment.

Michael Hopcroft
May 10th, 2017, 01:06
Thanks, everyone!

I wonder if having the PHB content pack would help me in tracking my own player-characters and their development, and how I can share a PC without one. Right now I have a plain-vanilla Human Fighter 3 with the quirk that I built him to be a "smart fighter" with a high INT and a higher WIS. Everyone else at the con seemingly had been multi-classign like mad and pulling in the most exotic PHB+1 stuff they could. I don't have any of that content.

Is there any other way to get a PC's character sheet into something that will readily work in FG's automatic systems?

Trenloe
May 10th, 2017, 01:13
Is there any other way to get a PC's character sheet into something that will readily work in FG's automatic systems?
Yep. Enter the data manually or use the SRD modules.

Also, lots of guidance here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information Especially the "Complete Package Series" at the bottom of post #1.