PDA

View Full Version : windows 10 connection failure for gm

Wingman
May 7th, 2017, 04:27
hello i am at my wits end. i know that my router will allow port forwarding as i have a mac computer i can host from. but wine skin does not allow local hosting. so i have acquired a windows computer. i can now run a local hosted game but not an online game. i have tried scrolling through multiple threads and nothing seems to work. i have tried adding new rules to firewall and turning off firewall. i have tried several sets of instructions from the house of healing forums but none seem to work. please help

damned
May 7th, 2017, 05:18
hello i am at my wits end. i know that my router will allow port forwarding as i have a mac computer i can host from. but wine skin does not allow local hosting. so i have acquired a windows computer. i can now run a local hosted game but not an online game. i have tried scrolling through multiple threads and nothing seems to work. i have tried adding new rules to firewall and turning off firewall. i have tried several sets of instructions from the house of healing forums but none seem to work. please help

Hi Wingman Port Forwarding is kind of like being ultra specific with your addressing. Instead of just delivering a letter to your house, its like the letter has to be delivered to the the third room of your house and to be placed exactly in the intray on the desk on the left.
When you have it working on your Mac it cannot also work on your PC. It can only deliver it to one place or the other. Right now thats your Mac.
If you configured port forwarding for the Mac, delete that entry, reboot the router and add an entry for the PC.
If it worked via plug n play, reboot the router and load up FG on the PC and it should configure.
If you are still stuck send me a PM.

For the localhost on mac thing - you need to install a second FG app in your wineskin, leave this one as a demo client and you should be able to localhost connect.

Martin2301
May 7th, 2017, 15:02
Hi, I have the same problem at home. The new generation routeur does not take for him the port 1802. So if I put my IP adress the other computer at home are not open for the port 1802. The problem here it's that we are 2 GM's and we cannot planned to game at the same moment with 2 different group!

IS there a way to work with some other port or can someone would know how this problem can be solve?!

Thank's

damned
May 7th, 2017, 15:17
Create a new Shortcut to FantasyGrounds.exe
Put it on your desktop and rename it Fantasy Grounds 2000
Edit the shortcut properties and make it look like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGrounds.exe" -p2000
Basically you add "" around what is there and add a space and -p2000
You will then create a Port Forward rule for this computer and TCP2000 instead of TCP1802
Your players will need to do the first 4 lines to join games hosted by this GM.

Wookiee420
May 8th, 2017, 01:37
Win10 Creators edition you need to turn off all the firewalls...i just this second had to deal with it

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 01:54
You shouldn't have to turn off firewalls for general FG use - sometimes it can be useful for testing/checking if the firewall is causing an issue, but it's not a good plan to do that long term, nor should there be a need for turning off your firewall for general use.

Just make sure that FantasyGrounds.exe is allowed through your firewall - if Windows regularly sees your network connection as Public rather than Private you may need to add this as allowed in your firewall for Public and Private network interfaces. The default is usually allowed for Private, but blocked for Public.

Wookiee420
May 8th, 2017, 02:46
@Trenloe i just this second checked again, it sucks but 100% with the Win10 Creators update (which i got this morning) i 100% must turn off my firewall...i have FG exceptions for both Public and Private before this update, i didnt need to do this, but now i do.

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 03:50
@Wookiee420 - is that Windows firewall or a third party firewall?

Wookiee420
May 8th, 2017, 04:19
@Trenloe its the Windows Firewall...i know it its not the smartest decision to leave it off, but my router is pretty good at its job. No matter what i do even if i delete and recreate the exception i still need to disable my firewall with Win10 Creators Update

EDIT: The only thing that changed that did this is the Creators Update, i changed zero settings

damned
May 8th, 2017, 04:36
Hi Wookie420 try adding a rule to allow all incoming TCP 1802 connections. I agree with Trenloe you should be able to get this to go thru your firewall without turning it off completely.

Wookiee420
May 8th, 2017, 04:39
No sir, i have incoming and outgoing for FG on all three network types, just added an incoming TCP 1802 and nothing.

i cannot think of anything that i can add or remove from the incoming/outgoing rules that fixes this

IrishBouzouki
May 8th, 2017, 12:06
I found when I was having Win10 issues despite adding the 1802 incoming rules (plural TCP and UDP although my understanding is you do not need UDP)... there were other incoming rules that actually blocked incoming traffic. Be sure to disable or delete any of those. I'm not sure if they were accidentally created by me trying to make the rules or if they were created by the system for some reason or even the FG install (which I say because they were called fantasygrounds). But they will override your rules that allow the ports thru, at least it seemed to work that way for me.

Martin2301
May 10th, 2017, 02:04
HI,
I have the same problem here! And I dont think that is because of windows 10! I got a new highspeed routeur from ''videotron'' and it's the routeur i think that not allowing that the port 1802 is open on more then one IP address!

Trenloe
May 10th, 2017, 02:48
I have the same problem here! And I dont think that is because of windows 10! I got a new highspeed routeur from ''videotron'' and it's the routeur i think that not allowing that the port 1802 is open on more then one IP address!
It's not your new router. No router will allow port forwarding on the same port number (1802 for Fantasy Grounds) to more than one IP address. That is simply not how port forwarding works and all sorts of issues would occur if it did allow more than one IP address.

You can only run one GM instance of FG on port 1802 for external connections. If you have multiple GMs within the same network, then you'll have to change the port each GM is using (beyond the first) and the port that the players connect to. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38142-Can-players-choose-which-campaign-to-connect-to&p=336345&viewfull=1#post336345