PDA

View Full Version : Using Classes from the Unearthed Arcana mod

Klandare
May 6th, 2017, 22:28
Is the only way to use a class from the Unearthed Arcana mod, would be if you choose that class from the Unearthed Arcana mod from level 1 (or adding it from there if multi-classing)?

I tried adding a level from the Unearthed Arcana for Rogue after having done 1 level of Rogue which was added from the PHB. Both of them made separate lines for the character and each added a proficiency.

Now I do understand you would have to have the correct one being added at level 3 because it would choose an Archtype, but it seems that it is reading each of those classes seperately depending on where it is added from.

Oddly enough, if you add a level for Rogue from the D&D Sword Coast Adventures, then it recognizes that it is the same as the one from PHB and applies the level there.

Is this a setting that needs to be modified in the Unearthed Arcana mod so that levels from the classes are recognized as the same as those from the PHB?

Nickademus
May 6th, 2017, 23:19
The Unearthed Arcana module is kept separate from the Smiteworks modules on purpose and says so at the top of the class description. To utilize the UA subclasses for a character that has a PHB class, manually drag the subclass to the character after leveling up using the PHB class entry (and choosing no subclass). You will have to manually add each new subclass ability in this case.

Klandare
May 7th, 2017, 00:10
That is what I was afraid of.

Thank you for the information.

Seananigans
May 8th, 2017, 16:18
The Unearthed Arcana module is kept separate from the Smiteworks modules on purpose and says so at the top of the class description. To utilize the UA subclasses for a character that has a PHB class, manually drag the subclass to the character after leveling up using the PHB class entry (and choosing no subclass). You will have to manually add each new subclass ability in this case.

Is there any chance a second version could be created that does interface with the Smiteworks modules, or are there legal/content issues that prevent this? I do like not having to be fully aware of every option available for a subclass, and just letting the application give me the list when I hit level 2-3 for the choice.

Nickademus
May 8th, 2017, 21:20
I contacted Smiteworks about it and didn't get a positive response. In my own attempts to design it to merge with the official content, there were errors that prevented FG from accessing the UA content. As I cannot see the inner structure of the encrypted PHB, I cannot mimic it to allow this.

If you wish this, you will need to either petition Smiteworks to release the gutted framework for their official modules, or petition Wizards of the Coast to allow Smiteworks to produce playtest 5e material so that they can use their parser to produce a proper module.

It's a bad legal situation all around. I'm just trying to provide the material to the community as best I can since it seems to have slipped through a crack. I'm sorry that this minor inconvenience is causing you frustration.

Klandare
May 9th, 2017, 04:47
I greatly appreciate all of your work Nickademus. I was just hoping to get them to interact together right.

I will just present the options to my party members when they roll up characters so they know which one to start out with. Should help with them getting the right archetypes available.

Thanks again.