PDA

View Full Version : Best way to model con stat bonus (any stat, really)

nickabbey
May 6th, 2017, 21:28
For example, wearing a belt of con +2

Seems that there are two options. put -2 in the ability damage and the appropriate bonus HP in the "temp" section for hp

OR

Create an effect on myself: "Con Belt; CON: 2, enhancement"
But I think I still have to manually add the temp hp?

Are there other ways?
What are the differences between the approaches, and are there any benefits of one over the other?

Moon Wizard
May 7th, 2017, 03:25
The Belt of Constitution would modify the hit points permanently as long as they are wearing. So, I would just raise their Constitution on their sheet by 2 and their HP by <level>, since I'm assuming that they won't be taking the belt off. If they take it off for some reason, you would have to revert the changes. Similar to the way I used to do on paper character sheets.

Regards,
JPG

nickabbey
May 7th, 2017, 04:18
Thanks Moon Wizard. I was hoping to achieve the end result through effects so I could just update the effect when I upgrade to a +3 or +4 belt later.
This will work well enough and is super obvious.

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 19:00
You could also apply a semi-temporary +1 to the CON bonus by CTRL+mousewheel on the Bonus field. The little +1 bubble will remind you it's not a bonus based off the CON stat, and you could change it as upgrades come along. You'll still have to manually change the HP.

Callum
May 9th, 2017, 09:43
I always put it in as an effect on the Combat Tracker, as you showed. I think this method is best because FG will then automatically deal correctly with the situation where bear's endurance is cast on you (presuming that this is also represented by an effect). You still have to adjust the hp manually, of course.

LordBalkoth
May 13th, 2017, 00:39
I think this method is best because FG will then automatically deal correctly with the situation where bear's endurance is cast on you (presuming that this is also represented by an effect).

It will potentially model Cat's Grace incorrectly, though. If you're wearing a Full Plate and have 4 Dex modifier (aka WAY more than you can use)...if someone casts Cat's Grace on you then the system will give you 2 AC you shouldn't have. Same thing goes if you have a 5 Dex mod and wearing a Mithral Shirt...you'll get 2 AC from Cat's Grace when you should only get 1.