PDA

View Full Version : Object Damage Threshold - How to do?

GarthGiantbane
May 6th, 2017, 03:25
I came across this scenario, a statue animates and begins an attack. It has an AC, HP, vulnerabilities and resistances. It also has a Damage Threshold of 5 (DMG page 247 or FG DMG->Reference Manual->Chapter 8->Objects->Damage Threshold)

The gist is that damage from a single attack must do at least 5 points of damage or none at all. If the damage is 5 points or greater then the entire damage amount is assigned.

I searched for a while in the forums but couldn't find anything mentioning this. Has anyone used this?

My workaround thinking is to apply a DMG: -5 as an effect to the creature but I can't figure out how to get it to set automatically from the NPC record.

Thanks in advance for your comments/help!

LordEntrails
May 6th, 2017, 04:27
I don't think their is an ability or effect to handle damage threshold. I also haven't seen the request on the wishlist and haven't heard of anyone asking about it before. Doesn't mean there isn't a better way to handle it. Just that I don't know of one.

Moon Wizard
May 6th, 2017, 05:54
Would "RESIST: 5 all" work as an effect to match what hardness does?

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
May 6th, 2017, 08:58
No, because if the damage is 6, the whole 6 should be dealt.

GarthGiantbane
May 6th, 2017, 14:14
I think I would take the "RESIST: 5 all" and adjust based on the total damage rolled. If greater than 5 then I add in the difference. If less then no change needed. If the player actors could roll damage then the CT could figure in the rest of the factors (Vulnerabilities and resistances).

If I did get the Resist statement worked out, where would it go in the NPC record to make it show as an effect when the creature is loaded into the CT?

Btw, maybe I was misusing the "DMG: -5", my testing failed to get it to work after I added it as an effect to the creature in the CT. Is that tag for weapons only?

Thanks for the responses!

Zacchaeus
May 6th, 2017, 15:49
Either create the effect in the effects dialog and drag onto the NPC once it is on the Combat Tracker, or type the effect cite rly into the effects line on the NPC in the Combat Tracker.

DMG: -5 won't work if placed on the target; it would need to be placed on the attacker. There isn't really a satisfactory way to deal with this automatically. My advice is to get the players to roll the damage without targeting the object and only if it scores over the amount drag that from chat onto the target.

gamemasterbob
March 23rd, 2020, 00:23
Hmmmm... I'm a little late but I notice this was never closed... What the hey..

Just use the MODIFIER box in the lower left in conjunction with a damage roll triggered from an NPC/Character sheet.

Example: Lets say the damage done is 1d6+2 and the object has a Damage Threshold of 5.

Roll the damage from the NPC/Character sheet with the modifier box set to -5 (which is built in. You can set it to anything it needs to be).
The result will NOT go below zero IF you use a roll formatted in an NPC/Character sheet. If you just roll dice you WILL get the negative.

If you like you can just directly change the damage roll. The math is 2-5 or -3.. so set the sheet as [DMG:1d6-3]. Same effect.
For me the Modifier box is easier.

Happy Gaming..

Zacchaeus
March 23rd, 2020, 00:45
This is an old post. Since it was posted DT has been added. If FG detects a trait called Damage Threshold and a number in the text it will create the correct effect and handle the damage correctly.

More information here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects#Other_Traits

gamemasterbob
March 23rd, 2020, 01:06
Now I know DT. thanks. This is still a way to do it manually. If you have to. And Often you do. When the keyword is not there and you're running on the fly.

Darth PA
June 25th, 2020, 17:46
For those who want their PC or NPC to have a permanent Damage Threshold, here's what I did. Create a trait and write in the description: [EFF: DT:X] (the x is the Threshold).

I didn't try for a specific type of damage but you get the idea.