PDA

View Full Version : New modem, now no one can connect

technocrat13
May 6th, 2017, 01:08
Hey all,

Our group has been running Fantasy Grounds for a little over a year now with almost no connection issues. Last week our modem died, we got a new one from our ISP, and now no one can seem to connect.

I've set up port forwarding on the new modem.
I've disabled the firewall that's built into the modem and double-checked that my WIN firewall is allowing FG through.
When I do a connection test for the campaign, I get an immediate successful reading.
When I go to Canyouseeme.org and check port 1802, I get a successful check.
When my wife tries to connect to the campaign via our local IP address, she can connect successfully.

When my wife or any other client attempts to connect to the campaign via the Alias, it's a no-go. I never see any sign of them connecting via the chat window and they just time out unsuccessfully.

Any suggestions for what else I could check?

damned
May 6th, 2017, 01:23
Hi technocrat13 - your wife wont be able to connect via the alias dont waste time on that rabbit - stay with the internal ip for her.
For the others check the routers firewall settings - maybe you need to add a Firewall rule as well as a port forward. You might turn off any TCP flood settings and also turn off any Peer to Peer settings.

technocrat13
May 6th, 2017, 01:33
Interesting...

Because my wife could always use the alias before. You're saying that this isn't normally the case?

damned
May 6th, 2017, 01:40
Interesting...

Because my wife could always use the alias before. You're saying that this isn't normally the case?

Yes. Most routers will not let traffic originating on the network go out and come back in. It is detected as spoofing and dropped.
Another to check is to make sure that your Network Connection shows up as a Private profile not Public.

technocrat13
May 6th, 2017, 01:53
Whelp, that was exactly what I needed to know. Thanks, Damned.

The good side is that everything is working just fine now. The bad side is that I really had it fixed like... 2 hours ago and didn't know it because of that. lol

damned
May 6th, 2017, 02:35
Whelp, that was exactly what I needed to know. Thanks, Damned.

The good side is that everything is working just fine now. The bad side is that I really had it fixed like... 2 hours ago and didn't know it because of that. lol

Hahaha! I was surprised that it wasnt working and the connection test was. That was why I thought it might have been TCP Flood Protection. If you need another test connector you can PM me your alias.