PDA

View Full Version : Apply Effect to Multiple Targets

Grumpy_Grognard
May 5th, 2017, 17:40
There's an encounter in the first Kingmaker AP that may give the NPCs a -8 modifier on their initiative rolls. I've created the custom effect, and it works correctly. However, it's a bit clumsy to apply the effect to each target individually. Is there a way to apply the effect to all currently targeted tokens?

Honken
May 5th, 2017, 18:05
I think, if your character, or npc has it as an effect under a spell or something, and you just press the "effect" icon in the spell thingie, it will give all marked targets the effect. I guess it would work the same way in the improved version of pathfinder.

/H

Grumpy_Grognard
May 5th, 2017, 18:23
The effect I'm using is from the Effects sub-menu. I've selected the targets, and tried dragging the effect to the group, but it only affects one at a time.

If I create a "GM" character and target all those affected, will the effect the characters all at once? Does it have to be written into a spell to be used against multiple targets?

Honken
May 5th, 2017, 18:31
Well, I am sure someone will come around and be able to give you a better explanation then i did. I have not fiddled with 5E, 3.5 or pathfinder in a while.

/H

Nickademus
May 5th, 2017, 21:32
The effect I'm using is from the Effects sub-menu. I've selected the targets, and tried dragging the effect to the group, but it only affects one at a time.

If I create a "GM" character and target all those affected, will the effect the characters all at once? Does it have to be written into a spell to be used against multiple targets?

The Effect Window is not part of the targeting system. If you drag an effect from that window to something, it applies the effect as a drop action. (There is no way to drop on multiple target anyway.) To target multiple targets, you must have something on the battlemap to target with. Yes, you can make a GM character and keep it hidden to apply mass effects, damage, heals, etc. It's what I do. Just put your GM character in the Combat Tracker, drag its token to the map, click the GM token to give it a grey border, then hold Ctrl and click each target. When you click the effect button on the GM character, all the selected targets will get the effect. You'll know who is targeted because the GM character will have a white line going to each target.

Gwaihir Scout
May 6th, 2017, 00:23
Maybe it would be faster to just give the PCs +8 to their initiatives?

Spin-Man
May 8th, 2017, 22:29
Maybe it would be faster to just give the PCs +8 to their initiatives?I was thinking the exact same thing. :)

However, a method to quickly target multiple characters or NPC's with an effect is still a good bit of knowledge to have for other situations. Especially if you intend to repeatedly use poison clouds, spring large traps, or do any other sort of area effects, it's better to take more time once to set up a quick method than to slow the game down each time by manually applying effects.

I like Nickademus' idea of a hidden "GM" NPC. I don't think I would have thought of that.

Trenloe
May 8th, 2017, 22:36
Yeah, use NPC records for traps etc.. in fact, in the 3.5e/Pathfinder ruleset the NPC record can be set as a trap (radial option at the bottom of the window) and display the usual trap data fields.