PDA

View Full Version : The importance of factions in AL play

Teufelhunde87
May 5th, 2017, 10:58
I have been seeing a lot of non-affiliated characters in games lately, and I wanted to express my opinion of how important factions can be.
First and foremost, IF your character suffers a fatal demise, he/she has several options ( all these happen at the END of the module with no XP or GP earned):
1) Roll a new character
2) Pay for a Res after party carries you out (ONLY 1250 GP, very hard at early levels)
3) The party pays for your Res after carrying you out(are the really your friends!!!)
4) Your faction gives you a charitable Res (0 GP!!!!!)
Clearly , option 4 is the best IMO.
Next, in AL a faction member can be approached by an associate and given a side quest for extra XP,GP, and Renown.
So, I ask, what is to lose for joining a faction.

I have already had one permanent loss in a game, and felt bad(to a degree) as the player logged out and left. I want my players to have fun, but part of the fun is the challenge of the consequences brought about by decisions you make.

SirGraystone
May 5th, 2017, 14:39
Faction can often help in many way and not just in AL play if you just ask, low on healing ask if they have a spare healing potion you could have. Going to hunt werewolves, ask for a silver weapon or a remove curse scroll, worse that can happen is they say is no.

Get involve with your local temple, give some of your gold to feed the poor, maybe you'll get a discount later on a raise spell, maybe if you are arrested by the town guards, the priest will come help by telling the judge how you are such a nice person.

Teufelhunde87
May 5th, 2017, 14:50
Faction can often help in many way and not just in AL play if you just ask, low on healing ask if they have a spare healing potion you could have. Going to hunt werewolves, ask for a silver weapon or a remove curse scroll, worse that can happen is they say is no.

Get involve with your local temple, give some of your gold to feed the poor, maybe you'll get a discount later on a raise spell, maybe if you are arrested by the town guards, the priest will come help by telling the judge how you are such a nice person.

Well said! Dieties also make a difference! AL modules don't give you too much time in game , but there is opportunity and there is always use downtime! Often forgotten subjects!

Nickademus
May 5th, 2017, 21:34
I'm curious the reasons of the people you have met that didn't have a faction.

Teufelhunde87
May 5th, 2017, 21:40
I'm curious the reasons of the people you have met that didn't have a faction.
I think it is just oversight, as it doesn't show up a lot in games . Same as Dieties. How many sheets have I seen with no diety. I always put one or no0ne, you never know! I am starting to mention it in my AL games now. Just to bring it up and keep it fresh in everyone's mind. Little things that flesh out characters.

Elliannith
May 5th, 2017, 22:44
Fine... I'll pick some factions. ☺

Teufelhunde87
May 5th, 2017, 22:51
Fine... I'll pick some factions. ☺

LOL! You aren't the only one! I think nobody really thinks about them. AL really brings their benefits out. I didn't pay much attention to it until my first character kill. Then I realized their wasn't a way a low level could save their character. Then I researched renown a little, and I also have seen side quests for members in my modules. Now I'm on a raise awareness quest!!! LOL
Greg

spoofer
May 6th, 2017, 07:50
In my experience, that player was going to quit anyways. It was a matter of time. Count yourself lucky that it was sooner rather latter. I used to think that I want my players to be happy. I no longer think that. Now I think that I want to be happy. A happy DM leads to the happy players staying and the others quitting. Good. Let them go.

I completely agree with you about factions. I am running Storm King's Thunder. Factions are important. I beefed them up and made them even more important. Every conversation with an NPC begins, "Who are you associated with?" And ends, "Who do I report your deeds to so that you may be rewarded?"

I still have one player stubbornly refusing to be a part of a faction. He pays for that choice. But he is a happy player, and he is role playing it well.... which is really, really awesome. :)

Wookiee420
May 6th, 2017, 15:53
I know i dont run AL, but none of my 5e campaigns have the players wanted to join a faction, their reasoning is mostly that they are doing what they want and the right thing and they dont want to answer to anyone for any reason. I have tried so much in one game they have asked me to stop bringing up factions all together. So i stopped trying in all games.

Teufelhunde87
May 6th, 2017, 15:56
I know i dont run AL, but none of my 5e campaigns have the players wanted to join a faction, their reasoning is mostly that they are doing what they want and the right thing and they dont want to answer to anyone for any reason. I have tried so much in one game they have asked me to stop bringing up factions all together. So i stopped trying in all games.

I don't think they are as important in regular campaigns. I'm in 2 and factions don't come up as much as they do in AL modules. Particularly as renown starts accumulating.