PDA

View Full Version : LFG: Adventures in Middle Earth, CST

cdj0902
May 5th, 2017, 07:25
FG License: I have an Ultimate license and all FG 5E content
Time Zone: Central Time USA
Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: I have games on Wednesday and Sunday that I already attend (I DM a D&D 5E campaign on Wednesdays)
Term: I'd like to find a group to play online RPGs with long-term.
Voice: Yes, I use voice chat

Game System Preferred: Adventures in Middle Earth, D&D 5E, Edge of the Empire
Game System Experience: Adventures in Middle Earth, D&D 5E, Edge of the Empire, 13th Age, Fate, WFRP 3rd Edition, many other RPGs
Fantasy Grounds Experience: I am familiar with FG. I DM an online D&D 5E group on Wednesday nights and I am a player in a Sunday night game.

Character Type Preferred: NA. Fairly open on type of character. I've played them all.
About me: I currently have a group of high school friends I play online RPGs with. I'd like to branch out and meet some new online friends to game with via Fantasy Grounds. Overall I am looking to get to know a somewhat consistent group of players and that just enjoy playing online RPGs, regardless of system. I am willing to DM. At the moment I am specifically looking to be a player in Adventures in Middle Earth if anyone is running a game and needs a player. Hit me up! Thank you.

cdj0902
May 26th, 2017, 06:04
Addendum: I am also willing to be Loremaster and run one or more of the adventures in "Wilderland Adventures". I most likely have the bandwidth to run a 3-4 hour session once every two weeks, possibly once a week for 2-3 hours. As mentioned previously I am CST. Would most likely run the game on a weeknight (not Wednesdays, I already run a D&D 5E campaign on Wednesday nights).

Grimlore
May 26th, 2017, 17:32
Hey cdj, I would be interested in joining a campaign if we can get one going. I only have experience with the 5e & PFRPG rulesets, but love Middle Earth so this would be a good change of pace. I am MST (GMT-6) and am free Tuesday and Thursday nights anytime after 7:30pm MST (8:30pm your time).

I currently DM a Saturday night 5e session, and am a player Sunday & Monday nights as well. I could share DM duties down the road, but would want to be a player initially.

cdj0902
May 26th, 2017, 21:41
I'm good with that. I'm in the process of reading and absorbing the Loremaster's guide. Since I have one other campaign that I DM from (mostly) scratch, I'm thinking I'll lean heavily on the Wilderland Adventures modules (at least at first) to minimize prep. Reading the rulebooks has me in the spirit of Middle Earth, and I like the theme they've developed here. I'd like to see if it translates to the "table" well, as it were.

Wulfdeyne
May 26th, 2017, 21:59
If you run this I'd love to play. I have been wanting to branch out into the different rule sets and this is one that I'd really like to be involved in. I'm CST and can play any weeknight but Tuesday at this point.

cdj0902
May 26th, 2017, 22:12
Before you get too excited allow me to add the disclaimer that I am no Tolkien scholar. :) I've read the books, watched the movies (the old cartoon movies as well) and about a year ago I made it about 1/4 way through the Silmarillion before I ran out of gas trying to understand it. I, for the most part, just really enjoy the general themes of low/innate magic (and how mysterious it still is) and the setting grittiness (as opposed to the polished settings of typical D&D like Faerun). I also think the Journey, Audience, and Fellowship mechanics in the AiME books are interesting, at least on paper.

cdj0902
May 26th, 2017, 22:21
One more disclaimer: I've never run a game, face-to-face or digitally, for people I don't know personally. So I'm a little nervous/anxious. My typical group consists of players I went to high school with and have played with since the 1990s (I'm 38). There have been other players in the group in that time, but the core players have been mostly consistent. Spirit of full disclosure and all.. :)

Wulfdeyne
May 26th, 2017, 22:38
No worries at all. I still haven't been brave enough to DM anything on here. I enjoy Tolkien but I'm not going to judge anyone on their knowledge or their lack of, or their experience level. Everyone starts someplace.

cdj0902
May 26th, 2017, 22:45
Haha cool. I'm not a socially anxious person (quite the opposite really) but there's something about putting yourself out there as DM for unseen faces that is a bit different from what I'm used to. Either way I'm looking forward to it.

As far as the story/campaign, my plan is to keep it simple: start in the year 2946 per the suggestion from the rule books, make sure we have party hooks to start the Wilderland Adventure modules, and go from there. Nothing too fancy. Get the ball rolling and perhaps we can create a consistent online group of players going forward that enjoy this setting, and using these rules.

Wulfdeyne
May 26th, 2017, 22:51
Sounds good to me. I haven't played Middle Earth at all, so I'll be making a few purchases and doing some reading the next few days.

cdj0902
May 29th, 2017, 07:10
So far by my measure we've ruled out Mondays (Grimlore), Tuesdays (Wulfdeyne), Wednesdays (I DM a D&D5E game that night), Fridays (I will be a player in a FFG Star Wars game Friday nights soon), Saturdays (Grimlore), and Sundays (Grimlore + I'm a player in a D&D5E game that night). That leaves Thursday as the only open night. Does that work for you guys? If we can get at least one more player involved I think we could start soon.

GunbunnyFuFu
May 29th, 2017, 15:10
Depending on what time, I'm interested in this! I've read/have the Adventures in Middle Earth Player's Guide, and am familiar with 5e and FG as well.

Noger118
May 29th, 2017, 18:10
Hey i would love to be involved if you need more players! I love Tolkien and have always wanted to do some middle earth role-play. I'm CST and can do any time on Thursday.=)

cdj0902
May 29th, 2017, 21:36
Thurdays starting at 8:30-9pm CDT(GMT-5) start time is what I'm thinking.

Wulfdeyne
May 29th, 2017, 22:37
Thursdays work for me.

cdj0902
June 1st, 2017, 17:09
If everyone that has expressed interest in this thread so far is still on board we'd have enough to get started. Wulfdeyne says 8:30-9pm start time on Thursdays works for him. How about everyone else? I'd like to get a Session 0 scheduled so we can all meet each other, introduce ourselves, and ensure that the group gets off to a decent start by discussing play-styles, AiME rules/classes/cultures, etc.

Aside: I plan to use Discord for voice chat if we can get this going.

GunbunnyFuFu
June 1st, 2017, 17:50
The day works, however, the time is a bit late for me, as that'd be 10 p Eastern. Have fun though!

GB

Wulfdeyne
June 1st, 2017, 18:17
Thursday works well for me, I'm open to almost any time if we need to change it.

Noger118
June 1st, 2017, 18:45
Thursday works for me as well!

cdj0902
June 1st, 2017, 19:14
We can also back up the time to 8pm (CDT) start if needed. Plan is to run for 2.5-3 hours per session max, or when a natural stopping point presents itself. In-between session RP via email or Obsidian Portal forum posts is also in the plans (assuming it fits where our last session left off).