PDA

View Full Version : Possible to allow player to view wildcard link without accessing module books?

xxXEliteXxx
May 4th, 2017, 02:23
Some magic items have an image 'wildcard link' in their description which shows a picture of the item when clicked on, however if the item is from a module that is not loaded by a player (such as a magic item from the DMG) then it will just give an error in the chat saying it can't load the link from an inactive module.

Is it possible to allow the player to load the content of a module but not have access to the module's books (like the DMG)?

Example:

What the DM sees/What people with access to the DMG see: https://i.imgur.com/H9vhaf3.png

What the players see/What people without access to the DMG see: https://i.imgur.com/KGr9DdR.png

LordEntrails
May 4th, 2017, 03:19
I think you are going to have to open the image and share or pre-load it manually.

I thought there was a way to share links as well, but I can't find that (maybe that's only on images?).

xxXEliteXxx
May 4th, 2017, 20:37
Hrm. Even if the image is shared/preloaded, the wildcard link will still give the error message in the chat. Even though the player can find the image and open it in Maps & Images. As seen here, the image is shared/preloaded (indicated by the 'p' symbol) and the player can access and open the image from the Maps & Images window, but the wildcard link that leads to the same image will not work: https://i.imgur.com/AdcjqIu.png

Would this be considered a bug?

LordEntrails
May 4th, 2017, 20:39
Hmm, beyond me. Maybe someone else knows. I don't know much about links.

Talyn
May 4th, 2017, 22:24
No, you'd have to share the DMG and that is considered a Bad Thing™ to do for various reasons. What you can do (I just did this locally to check) is drag the Bag of Holding image into the (New) group (or any custom group, whatever) to make a copy of it in your campaign database, then share that copy with your players.

Spin-Man
May 8th, 2017, 21:16
And rename the copy while you're at it. You don't want them to know it's safe, do you? For all they know, it could be a bag of devouring! :)

(You know you want to give them a bag of devouring. Do it.) :p

Erin Righ
May 9th, 2017, 18:04
I once had a player have his character stick his head in a bag of devouring to see what was in there. I laughed so hard I almost threw up

kavaliro
May 9th, 2017, 18:44
When you know you are going to share something later, drag-and-drop a copy. The copy will show with a book-and-quill icon, because it is customized content at that point, and saved in the campaign data. Therefore it will be available as data to the players, regardless of whether the original library is open or not. Among other nuances, it lets you share data of one entry to the players without sharing the entire module. Play around with that; open a second instance of FG and connect to localhost so you can see what happens in various sharing situations. Experiment! (If you bought it through steam, go open fg manually to get a second instance; the steam launcher prevents multiple instances of a game.)

Nylanfs
May 9th, 2017, 19:01
I gave my players a coin purse of copper devouring once, it took them about a year to figure out why they could never find any copper for their dinners or various small purchases. :-)

Nickademus
May 9th, 2017, 19:06
I gave my players a coin purse of copper devouring once, it took them about a year to figure out why they could never find any copper for their dinners or various small purchases. :-)

Awesome. *stolen*

Trenloe
May 10th, 2017, 01:21
The copy will show with a book-and-quill icon, because it is customized content at that point, and saved in the campaign data.
The book icon shows that a record is stored in a module. The book and quill icon shows that the base record is in the module but the record has has been modified in the campaign (not a copy).

If you create a copy, which is stored in the base campaign data, there won't be an icon at all.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Campaign_Data#Campaign_Data_List