PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitor Support

LeeSmith
April 30th, 2017, 02:57
Does FG support dual monitors?

If so, how do I get the map onto the 2nd monitor?

Thank you

Trenloe
April 30th, 2017, 03:23
Don't maximize FG, but stretch it across the two monitors.

LeeSmith
April 30th, 2017, 14:39
Good idea, thanks Trenloe.

Silverwolf75
June 3rd, 2017, 22:28
Which is a pain if your 2 monitors don't support the same resolution .. really wish FG would do this natively

LordEntrails
June 3rd, 2017, 23:05
Which is a pain if your 2 monitors don't support the same resolution .. really wish FG would do this natively
With the current architecture FG will not do this natively. You will have to wait until sometime after the FG Unity release.

Moon Wizard
June 4th, 2017, 03:06
As far as I'm aware, the Unity engine does not allow multiple windows per application. So, FGU will be a single window tabletop application. If you want to spread across monitors, stretching the window will be the solution.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
June 4th, 2017, 03:39
As far as I'm aware, the Unity engine does not allow multiple windows per application. So, FGU will be a single window tabletop application. If you want to spread across monitors, stretching the window will be the solution.

Regards,
JPG
Ah, Ok, I was thinking it allowed for independent windows like Gimp, but that was based on nothing more than some random impression I picked up. Not any real knowledge of the platform.

Wolfheart
June 4th, 2017, 11:37
That's...bad news. But I suppose it's possible to have un/dockable windows? So you could move character sheets or maps or whatever "out" of the table area?

Trenloe
June 4th, 2017, 16:46
But I suppose it's possible to have un/dockable windows?
That would be multiple windows. So, from what Moon Wizards said above, this wouldn't be possible.

midas
June 13th, 2017, 23:09
I'd be happy with just the ability to go full-screen on two monitors of differing resolution. Having a 4K monitor and a 1980x1200 monitor doesn't play well with stretching.

LordEntrails
June 14th, 2017, 00:12
I'd be happy with just the ability to go full-screen on two monitors of differing resolution. Having a 4K monitor and a 1980x1200 monitor doesn't play well with stretching.
I think you're going to have problems with any application you try to stretch across displays of differing resolutions, not just FG. What you are effectively wanting is a rectangle (i.e. the application window) that is actually not a rectangle. You want it to be 1800 pixels high on one side and 1200 on the other (and that is no longer a rectangle :)).

You might see if your graphics driver can make your two screens into one. Nvidia drivers can often do this (though I don't know about if the resolutions differ), or you might just have to set the resolutions of both monitors the same.

frostbyte000jm
June 14th, 2017, 14:55
Well? I guess I just have to upgrade (https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/210-ahsq?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=210-AHSQ&cid=311610&st=&gclid=CjwKEAjwvYPKBRCYr5GLgNCJ_jsSJABqwfw7g5U8i42e 6JNLMEbbMsCAWCvfN9CNXK5jJXS6hQ3WPxoCMIfw_wcB&lid=5873775&VEN1=sqtcB4w84,194138482743,901q5c14135,c,,210-AHSQ&VEN2=,&dgc=ST&DGSeg=SO&acd=12309152537501410&VEN3=112503467258717258).

Nylanfs
June 14th, 2017, 16:36
Solidworks, one of the top major engineering modeling programs, doesn't let you undock or split screens either. It's probably the most annoying things about it.

Wookiee420
June 15th, 2017, 02:12
Well? I guess I just have to upgrade (https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/210-ahsq?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=210-AHSQ&cid=311610&st=&gclid=CjwKEAjwvYPKBRCYr5GLgNCJ_jsSJABqwfw7g5U8i42e 6JNLMEbbMsCAWCvfN9CNXK5jJXS6hQ3WPxoCMIfw_wcB&lid=5873775&VEN1=sqtcB4w84,194138482743,901q5c14135,c,,210-AHSQ&VEN2=,&dgc=ST&DGSeg=SO&acd=12309152537501410&VEN3=112503467258717258).
i have a 45 inch monitor, it doesnt make it that much easier :p

yeknom
June 15th, 2017, 14:07

Regards,
JPG

Isn't this the number one request here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/ ?

I am not sure why it's not going to be implemented if it is. I will buy the Unity Engine either way really as I am okay with stretching across multiple monitors, I just thought that list was a good gauge of what we could and couldn't expect, especially the top two or three.

Wookiee420
June 15th, 2017, 15:06
Isn't this the number one request here: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/ ?

I am not sure why it's not going to be implemented if it is. I will buy the Unity Engine either way really as I am okay with stretching across multiple monitors, I just thought that list was a good gauge of what we could and couldn't expect, especially the top two or three.
If Unity doesn't allow it then Unity doesn't allow it, its no Smiteworks' choice at that point

vizax
June 15th, 2017, 17:19
I think you're going to have problems with any application you try to stretch across displays of differing resolutions, not just FG. What you are effectively wanting is a rectangle (i.e. the application window) that is actually not a rectangle. You want it to be 1800 pixels high on one side and 1200 on the other (and that is no longer a rectangle :)).

You might see if your graphics driver can make your two screens into one. Nvidia drivers can often do this (though I don't know about if the resolutions differ), or you might just have to set the resolutions of both monitors the same.

I use my AMD Eyefinity option to convert my 2 screens into 1 when i play FG and then turn it off when i'm done. I use the quick setup, since both my screens are the same size/resolution. But, I've seen on the advanced setup you can have different resolutions align to the top/bottom/middle and "cut-off" the difference in resolution.

yeknom
June 16th, 2017, 10:16
If Unity doesn't allow it then Unity doesn't allow it, its no Smiteworks' choice at that point

Not trying to argue here but whose choice is it if it isn't Smiteworks? Are they doing the Unity Engine themselves or are they having someone do it, and, in either case, isn't it still there call as to what it does and doesn't include?

LordEntrails
June 16th, 2017, 13:05
Not trying to argue here but whose choice is it if it isn't Smiteworks? Are they doing the Unity Engine themselves or are they having someone do it, and, in either case, isn't it still there call as to what it does and doesn't include?
Unity is a commercially available engine. It's kind of like a programming language, but it has a library of functions that you can build your applications with. You can get more info here; https://unity3d.com/unity

In short, if Unity doesn't support multiple windows, then it won't be possible. I know the concept of detached windows is great, but as others have said, how many applications do you know of that can do this? The only one I know of is Gimp. And as Nylafs said, even programs that cost thousands of dollars (professional CAD) don't have this capability.

yeknom
June 16th, 2017, 13:41
Unity is a commercially available engine. It's kind of like a programming language, but it has a library of functions that you can build your applications with. You can get more info here; https://unity3d.com/unity

In short, if Unity doesn't support multiple windows, then it won't be possible. I know the concept of detached windows is great, but as others have said, how many applications do you know of that can do this? The only one I know of is Gimp. And as Nylafs said, even programs that cost thousands of dollars (professional CAD) don't have this capability.

Thanks, that cleared it up for me. I am not a programmer and know nothing about programming. If there are programs that use detached windows I wouldn't know of them to begin with. I am happy to use FG primarily because I don't need to do any programming. I appreciate the work that the programmers do because it helps me to enjoy my games, but honestly, for the most part, I don't ever think of it from a programmers perspective. I think of it from my perspective as a consumer and as such most of my questions relate to that point of view.

Again, thanks, that cleared it up for me.

Fauberoptic
June 16th, 2017, 14:01

hmmm Unless I am not understanding correctly but I use CADD program every day and it supports multiple screen effortlessly

Nylanfs
June 16th, 2017, 14:57
Depends on which one. Solidworks doesn't you can only spread it acrossed like FG, ProE has seperate windows for that can be on seperate screens, last I knew AutoCAD you could only stretch across.

Wookiee420
June 16th, 2017, 15:35
According to my very lazy Google search, multi-monitor has only been in Unity since version 5.3 and is very flimsy and unstable and requires multiple GPUs. Not a single source I have found recommends using it, in fact a majority of them say its not worth the effort, and it breaks the UI. Sounds like it is not worth the headache to make it work for FGU. They also say that it doesnt give you total multi monitor support, it treats it all as one monitor and combines your resolution to make one single torn image, that again breaks the UI and is very flimsy and crashes frequently. Again from my research, it seems that 99% of the people who have tried to multi monitor with Unity have given up and went back to single monitor.

pindercarl
June 16th, 2017, 15:48
That's not entirely accurate. Unity does support multiple monitors and does not require additional GPUs. There are issues if the monitors are different vertical resolutions. The primary issues with multiple monitor support in Unity are 1) requires Unity to be in fullscreen mode, 2) once an additional monitor is enabled, it cannot be disabled, 3) it breaks the UI.

Unity is not designed to be a windowing environment, i.e. the ability to move subwindows outside the main program window boundaries, and is very unlikely to be able to do so. It is worth noting that even if Fantasy Grounds was developed in an environment that supported multiple windows (which would require separate codebases for each platform), windows within Fantasy Grounds are not windows. At least not in the way that the OS defines them. Windows in Fantasy Grounds are defined in the ruleset XML and have no contextual meaning outside of Fantasy Grounds.

Fauberoptic
June 16th, 2017, 15:50
Depends on which one. Solidworks doesn't you can only spread it acrossed like FG, ProE has seperate windows for that can be on seperate screens, last I knew AutoCAD you could only stretch across.

microstation dual monitor support ( never was a fan of autocad) Not sure if i've ever heard of solidworks

Madyeti
January 27th, 2018, 21:07
Some more info on what Unity can do with multiple displays...
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39618597/unity3d-displaying-different-scenes-on-multiple-monitors

Gix
January 28th, 2018, 00:02
Don't maximize FG, but stretch it across the two monitors.

That works for PC's in certain configs, but not for Macs. With Mac you cannot span dual monitors, the windows must be seperate.

dmbrown
January 28th, 2018, 06:24
You can span a window across two monitors as I do it all the time when I run FG on my Mac.

This can be done by clicking the System Preferences icon in the Dock or by clicking the Apple icon on the top left of the screen and selecting System Preferences. You are brought to the Mission Control settings screen. Click to uncheck the Displays have separate spaces checkbox to disable it.

pindercarl
January 28th, 2018, 13:51
There may be some misunderstanding of the multi-monitor support in Unity. It is used for fullscreen, non-windowed use of multiple monitors like you might find in an FPS or other game. This doesn't allow access to the desktop, or other folders. Expanding a window across multiple monitors is, of course, supported just like any windowed program.

Sekator
March 11th, 2018, 17:23
You can span a window across two monitors as I do it all the time when I run FG on my Mac.

This can be done by clicking the System Preferences icon in the Dock or by clicking the Apple icon on the top left of the screen and selecting System Preferences. You are brought to the Mission Control settings screen. Click to uncheck the Displays have separate spaces checkbox to disable it.

This made my day! Thanks!

Elderith
June 23rd, 2018, 21:40

just in case you GPU can't do the two monitors in one thing; what I do to get around this issue is have two instances of FG running at the same time and share everything with my second round. it would make my setup a lot easier if you could GM privileges to another player on your game. just a thought for some of you that cant to the dule monior setup.

damned
June 24th, 2018, 01:01
just in case you GPU can't do the two monitors in one thing; what I do to get around this issue is have two instances of FG running at the same time and share everything with my second round. it would make my setup a lot easier if you could GM privileges to another player on your game. just a thought for some of you that cant to the dule monior setup.

The current architecture/design doesnt lend itself to this.

jrh18
July 19th, 2018, 20:48
I know this is an old discussion, but I was looking for how people play with two monitors. I happen to have 2 with the same resolution so stretching works for me. What doesn't happen though is that the stretched application doesn't save its state on startup. I have to stretch the program to the right size every time. I just assume this is how it is if it isn't can someone clue me in on how to get the stretching to stay on restart of FG?

On the ability to display different documents on different windows without stretching I was thinking a different solution to this problem that Smithworks could try is to allow a DM to connect to the DMs machine as a second DM. That way a DM with two monitors could start up 2 instances of FG connect one to the other and have different content on different windows. This could be a huge networking and performance nightmare, but if it wasn't it could be a solution for Unity not supporting multiple monitors.

Coren
July 25th, 2018, 20:57
I used FG on two monitors by using the Nvidia tools to span two monitors into one virtual display and it works great. It's a little annoying to have to configure it that way once a week, but that's more me being lazy than it being difficult.

If you you an Nnidia graphics card and want more detailed instructions of what I do, let me know.

Zacchaeus
July 25th, 2018, 21:50
I know this is an old discussion, but I was looking for how people play with two monitors. I happen to have 2 with the same resolution so stretching works for me. What doesn't happen though is that the stretched application doesn't save its state on startup. I have to stretch the program to the right size every time. I just assume this is how it is if it isn't can someone clue me in on how to get the stretching to stay on restart of FG?

I'm not sure what your issue is since mine stays stretched over two monitors if I close FG in the stretched state. It's possibly the way you have your monitors set up within Windows. Mine is set to 'Extend these displays'. I don't know if that makes any difference or not but if yours isn't set to that you could give it a go.

jrh18
July 25th, 2018, 23:10
Yup mine are set the same way. I don’t know what causes it, but I resolved the issue. I bought the humble bundle that had display fusion in it and I can have it detect the event of fantasy ground opening and return the window to a specific size. This works for me and doesn’t require me to do anything.

Voodoomagicman
October 12th, 2018, 17:56
I just got FG. Will Unity be an upgrade or a WHOLE NEW PRODUCT. sorry for my noob questions

Trenloe
October 12th, 2018, 18:08
I just got FG. Will Unity be an upgrade or a WHOLE NEW PRODUCT. sorry for my noob questions
Hopefully most of your questions will be answered here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43254-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-FAQ

curtcleancut
March 30th, 2020, 14:08
I'm new to Fantasy grounds and have been looking forward to GM'ing with it! So far from what I have explored from the product, I like :)

That being said, the FIRST thing that I notice was this missing piece of functionality. It's a HUGE loss, imo. Without it, I feel like I'm running a table top game and being restricted to how many documents / books I'm able to spread out during game play. Pop out windows are extremely helpful to DM's and players alike. Its important for DM and player to be able to view a player's character sheet and critical information at the same time as clearly viewing the map. We're able to best assess the a clear view of the map while making considerations on other screens as to our character's next move, while watching players move each turn. As a player, myself and other have used a similar software with three monitors and the ability of pop-out windows to spread out. I really, really hope they add this element to Unity. The ability for pop-out boxes is offered in other similar soft wares. If this function was included in FG, it would give all other programs a run for the money. Without it, it just becomes a large - CON - when comparing products. I hope to keep learning about the product, because it does still possess a number of strengths.

Again all is imo. Cheers!

Coren
March 30th, 2020, 14:28
I'm new to Fantasy grounds and have been looking forward to GM'ing with it! So far from what I have explored from the product, I like :)

That being said, the FIRST thing that I notice was this missing piece of functionality. It's a HUGE loss, imo. Without it, I feel like I'm running a table top game and being restricted to how many documents / books I'm able to spread out during game play. Pop out windows are extremely helpful to DM's and players alike. Its important for DM and player to be able to view a player's character sheet and critical information at the same time as clearly viewing the map. We're able to best assess the a clear view of the map while making considerations on other screens as to our character's next move, while watching players move each turn. As a player, myself and other have used a similar software with three monitors and the ability of pop-out windows to spread out. I really, really hope they add this element to Unity. The ability for pop-out boxes is offered in other similar soft wares. If this function was included in FG, it would give all other programs a run for the money. Without it, it just becomes a large - CON - when comparing products. I hope to keep learning about the product, because it does still possess a number of strengths.

Again all is imo. Cheers!

So, I have figured out some things with this since I originally posted the question. For FGC, I go in to my NVidia Control panel (I believe ATI has something similar) and set two of my three monitors to span into one display. Then just turn the third one back on as an additional monitor, this let FGC "full screen" stretched across two monitors. Works well enough. If you are also using Discord and have to close it, you'll want to make sure you primary monitors is *not* the spanned display or discord doesn't start properly.

For FGU (which we just started goofing with last night actually) it stretches across monitors a little more cleanly, but it doesn't seem to want to respect the spanned displays. By that I mean, even if the displays are spanned as above, when I full screen, it snaps to only one physical monitor, similar to how Chrome acts if folks are familiar with spanning.

If the dev team sees this (yeah, some thread necromancy has happened) do we know if this one physical monitors snapping is intentional and if there could be an option to enable/encourage snapping to the full spanned virtual display? Having the screen stretched is an ok work around, but full screening hides the windows tool bar and the top menu bar and is just generally cleaner.

Thanks and I hope that helps.

groovycthulhu
April 3rd, 2020, 18:23
What I'm giving a try is opening two Fantasy Ground sessions. One in each monitor. Seems to work OK so far.

DoubleDanGaming
April 12th, 2020, 19:47
What I'm giving a try is opening two Fantasy Ground sessions. One in each monitor. Seems to work OK so far.

Not something, however, that works on macOS. The OS only allows a single instance of FGU to run at any given time. Trying to force a new instance to open simply changes the active window to the initial instance. Dual monitor (or more) support would be much admired!

dmbrown
April 12th, 2020, 21:09
For Mac people if you want to use two monitors you'll need to go to "System Preferences" then click on "Mission Control" and uncheck "Displays have operate spaces". You'll either need to logout and back in or restart your machine. This will allow you to stretch FG across 2 monitors.

If you want to get 2 instance of FGU running on a Mac. Go to the Smiteworks folder in your applications and duplicate the Fantasy grounds app. Then you can name it PC (player character) or something like that. Then start your main FG app and then host a game locally. Then click on the second instance to start it up and then click on join campaign and enter "localhost" in the "Join by IP and Port". It will take a long time but eventually it will load and that will give you the view of a PC.

DoubleDanGaming
April 13th, 2020, 00:43
If you want to get 2 instance of FGU running on a Mac. Go to the Smiteworks folder in your applications and duplicate the Fantasy grounds app. Then you can name it PC (player character) or something like that. Then start your main FG app and then host a game locally. Then click on the second instance to start it up and then click on join campaign and enter "localhost" in the "Join by IP and Port". It will take a long time but eventually it will load and that will give you the view of a PC.

Neat trick, but only useful if you only plan to host a game over local LAN. Utterly useless if you want to run over the cloud.

The other suggestion is more useful, if slightly aggravating to those of us with OCD about such things. Thanks!

curtcleancut
April 13th, 2020, 14:14
So, I have figured out some things with this since I originally posted the question. For FGC, I go in to my NVidia Control panel (I believe ATI has something similar) and set two of my three monitors to span into one display. Then just turn the third one back on as an additional monitor, this let FGC "full screen" stretched across two monitors. Works well enough. If you are also using Discord and have to close it, you'll want to make sure you primary monitors is *not* the spanned display or discord doesn't start properly.

For FGU (which we just started goofing with last night actually) it stretches across monitors a little more cleanly, but it doesn't seem to want to respect the spanned displays. By that I mean, even if the displays are spanned as above, when I full screen, it snaps to only one physical monitor, similar to how Chrome acts if folks are familiar with spanning.

If the dev team sees this (yeah, some thread necromancy has happened) do we know if this one physical monitors snapping is intentional and if there could be an option to enable/encourage snapping to the full spanned virtual display? Having the screen stretched is an ok work around, but full screening hides the windows tool bar and the top menu bar and is just generally cleaner.

Thanks and I hope that helps.

Thank you for the advice and I previously explored the idea to stretch the app across multiple screens, but that still doesn't serve the purpose when the user would like or needs to flip through screens or information quickly such as being able to have separate pop out windows that function independently. Pop out windows are a form of built in functionality for most applications these days. For instance, I could open Roll20, MS Teams, or Excel and work through a single open program, but use pop-out windows to organize my information or quickly flip through the information. This mechanism would especially be helpful with multiple monitors. For example, the DM could have a dedicated fully expanded pop-out window on a dedicated screen for the game map used in tracking and interaction of the character's minis. On the other monitor, the DM dedicated adventure notes with player information before him. Now that two screens are set up, other app can now be opened at the same time to allow the user to flip screens on one monitor without interference of the dedicated map monitor.

The stretch monitors is still cluttered and requires a constant arrangement of open and closed windows if you run out of room to view things. Especially true if flipping screens and apps. It's just less user friendly and less simplistic. Don't get me wrong - I like this application, but this is just a low hanging fruit that most frequent computer users would expect as standard functionality. Again, it's a critique that I strongly think would add value to the product as people move toward this form of gaming.

damned
April 13th, 2020, 15:19
Thank you for the advice and I previously explored the idea to stretch the app across multiple screens, but that still doesn't serve the purpose when the user would like or needs to flip through screens or information quickly such as being able to have separate pop out windows that function independently. Pop out windows are a form of built in functionality for most applications these days. For instance, I could open Roll20, MS Teams, or Excel and work through a single open program, but use pop-out windows to organize my information or quickly flip through the information. This mechanism would especially be helpful with multiple monitors. For example, the DM could have a dedicated fully expanded pop-out window on a dedicated screen for the game map used in tracking and interaction of the character's minis. On the other monitor, the DM dedicated adventure notes with player information before him. Now that two screens are set up, other app can now be opened at the same time to allow the user to flip screens on one monitor without interference of the dedicated map monitor.

The stretch monitors is still cluttered and requires a constant arrangement of open and closed windows if you run out of room to view things. Especially true if flipping screens and apps. It's just less user friendly and less simplistic. Don't get me wrong - I like this application, but this is just a low hanging fruit that most frequent computer users would expect as standard functionality. Again, it's a critique that I strongly think would add value to the product as people move toward this form of gaming.

Some clarity here.
Most programs in this case means less than 1% of all programs.
Roll20 is a browser. It uses the browsers windowing capability.

Windows in Fantasy Grounds are not actually windows and cant be manipulated the way windows are in your operating system.
At this stage there is no immediate plans for pop out windows as the interface does not support them.

DoubleDanGaming
April 13th, 2020, 15:44
Some clarity here.
Most programs in this case means less than 1% of all programs.
Roll20 is a browser. It uses the browsers windowing capability.

Windows in Fantasy Grounds are not actually windows and cant be manipulated the way windows are in your operating system.
At this stage there is no immediate plans for pop out windows as the interface does not support them.

The ability to do so, or even add an option to allow a second window associated with the first, would increase usability quite a bit. I rock 2 27" monitors and a 21" Cintiq, and being limited to one screen even with all the real estate is kind of abrasive. Being able to stretch the window out across multiple screens does help a lot, but actual integration within the program itself would be preferred.

damned
April 13th, 2020, 15:50
The ability to do so, or even add an option to allow a second window associated with the first, would increase usability quite a bit. I rock 2 27" monitors and a 21" Cintiq, and being limited to one screen even with all the real estate is kind of abrasive. Being able to stretch the window out across multiple screens does help a lot, but actual integration within the program itself would be preferred.

i understand that.
But by saying or once or 16x doesnt change whether it can or will be done.
There are an infinite number of things in this world that could be better if....

DoubleDanGaming
April 13th, 2020, 15:52
i understand that.
But by saying or once or 16x doesnt change whether it can or will be done.
There are an infinite number of things in this world that could be better if....

Look, I'm not demanding that it be done. I'm just politely adding my voice to the group of individuals who would like it to be taken under consideration, that's all.

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2020, 16:50
This gets to be a frustrating discussion for folks that have been around the forums for awhile. Its not because we don't want the same things. But its because their are thousands of posts of discussion on this topic. And it is the #1 wanted item on the wishlist.

Jumping in and saying "I want this too" is understandable. But being frustrated by repetitive discussions is understandable too. We all want to answer and engage with every discussion or question, but it can be frustrating too.

If anyone wants to know why this won't be done, search for the dozens of threads on this topic and read the discussions. Pay particular attention to those replies by the Devs (Moon Wizard, ddavison, carlpinder). EDIT: And these comments from the Devs show that they understand the issue, that they would like it too, but that with the way FG is architected its not something that can be done with a reasonable amount of resources. When it can be, it will be.

Moon Wizard
April 13th, 2020, 22:23
This thread has run it's course, so I am closing.

Multi-monitor will only be supported via window resizing/stretching. For multiple technical/architectural reasons, this is not something that can be changed for the foreseeable future.

Regards,
JPG