PDA

View Full Version : Portraits will not show in the folder for selection

Bonebrig
April 29th, 2017, 15:30
Greetings, I am new user who has a very odd problem.
When I select a character to give them a portrait I only see the defaults. Normal so far. I click the "folder" option to show my fantasy grounds/portrait folder. I copy a jpeg to that folder, close out and try again. Still nothing. no matter what I add my portarits show blank in Fantasy grounds itself but full when I click to open the folder. any ideas?

damned
April 29th, 2017, 15:40
Welcome Bonebrig - it should accept both JPG and PNG files.
Ideally your files should not be large as they will only be displayed at (I think) 63x63px so keep them smallish and square.
They should show up as soon as you copy them into that folder - you should not need to restart FG even.
Is it possible that you have another earlier install of FG and some of the paths have messed up in the registry?

If you have used regedit before you can check that the Data Folder Path in there is the same as the Data Folder Path in FG settings and the same one that opens up when using one of the folder shortcuts within the application.

Trenloe
April 29th, 2017, 15:40
Welcome to the forums Bonebrig Sorry you're having issues.

What ruleset are you using?

Could you provide a screenshot of your portraits window within Fantasy Grounds and the Windows explorer window where the files are?

Bonebrig
April 29th, 2017, 15:47
Wow, thanks for the fast replies.
Here is the screen shot. this is directly after I click "folder" above the bag in the portrait select window.

It is most definitely likely that I have a reg key out of wack as this issue started after I uninstalled and reinstalled due to a windows 7 permissions problem. the first time it saved everything to my administrator profile rather then my personal profile as I keep the two separate for security. Do you know where that reg key would be?

damned
April 29th, 2017, 15:55
HKey_Current_User\Software\Fantasy Grounds\2.0
DataDir
Rename the key
Rerun the updater and it should fix itself....

Bonebrig
April 29th, 2017, 16:29
HKey_Current_User\Software\Fantasy Grounds\2.0
DataDir
Rename the key
Rerun the updater and it should fix itself....

unfortunately I do not seem to have the dataDir key to rename. 18744

could that be part of the problem? I also noticed that I am missing all the default campaigns and only have a test one I created. I wasn't going to use the Demo campaigns so its not a big deal, but it may shed light on the issue.

I am not opposed to wiping out Fantasy Grounds and starting from scratch, but that is what i was trying to do that started this whole mess so I must have missed a step.
I also did download it from steam rather then direct if that throws any monkey wrench in things.

Windows 10

Bonebrig
April 29th, 2017, 17:14
I found the DataDir
regedit had not run in admin mode the first time.
I am afraid that that did not do the trick however. It simply went right back to how it was before.

Bonebrig
April 29th, 2017, 17:52
Okay, because I cannot let something like this go I found the problem.
when I click on "folder" in the upper right hand corner of the portrait screen it opens
c:\users\<personal>\appdata\Fantasy Grounds\Portraits
However the actual window with the little brown bags shows me
c:\users\<admin>\appdata\Fantasy Grounds\Portraits

i can add portraits through the admin of course, but that seems needlessly complicated. any idea where the path that the Portraits folder uses is kept so I can fix that?

Thanks again for the prompt responces, it is really nice when things like this happens.

Trenloe
April 29th, 2017, 19:08
Click the settings button the main FG startup screen. Where does the "Data Directory" setting point to?

Bonebrig
April 29th, 2017, 19:37
that points to my desired location
c:\users\<personal>\appdata\Fantasy Grounds\Portraits
... and now everything is where it should be. Even the demo campaigns returned. I have no idea why it suddenly decided to work.
But I am now at the don't monkey with it phase.

Thank you very much for your help! It is most appriciated

Trenloe
April 29th, 2017, 19:57
Glad you got it sorted out. :)

damned
April 30th, 2017, 07:25
Fantasy Grounds was for some reason reading the registry values for your Admin user and not your User.
It should work properly from now...
Unless you roll another 1.