PDA

View Full Version : 5e Magic Items with non basic attacks

ChasMann
April 26th, 2017, 23:47
I may be missing a subforum or post, but have not found anything so far. I am essentially looking to see if there is an advice area on how to enter special weapons such as the Tentacle Rod or Bead of Force. I am trying to enter them in as a power so there is more flexibility but I am having trouble with a few items.

For example:

Tentacle Rod

Made by the drow, this rod is a magic weapon that ends in three rubbery tentacles. While holding the rod, you can use an action to direct each tentacle to attack a creature you can see within 15 feet of you. Each tentacle makes a melee attack roll with a +9 bonus. On a hit, the tentacle deals 1d6 bludgeoning damage. If you hit a target with all three tentacles, it must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, the creature's speed is halved, it has disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws, and it can't use reactions for 1 minute. Moreover, on each of its turns, it can take either an action or a bonus action, but not both. At the end of each of its turns, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Is there a way to make it so that the saving throw does not trigger unless all three attacks are centered on the same target and then apply the conditions?

I am still very new to Fantasy Grounds, but thus far I am loving it.

LordEntrails
April 27th, 2017, 00:24
Hey ChasMann, welcome to FG and the community. Glad to have you.

I can't think of any IF statement that would test if all three attacks hit (someone else may come along with a creative solutions). What I think you will have to do is make a second effect/power that the is activated by the player only when all three attacks do hit. That action can then force the save and apply the effects.

ChasMann
April 27th, 2017, 01:08
Good to know. That is what I have in place right now, but my players sometimes get confused so I wanted to find a way to simplify it.

Is there a list or tutorial on how to setup the IF statemants that do work?

LordEntrails
April 27th, 2017, 01:40
The only thing I know of is the wiki artcilce. Check the "A Note on IF and IFT" in the wiki effects article; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects