PDA

View Full Version : Noob needs help [actions & effects]

OfMiceAndDM
April 25th, 2017, 21:13
Okay, I thought I was pretty handy with a computer until I tried to create homebrew actions and effects on Fantasy Grounds character sheets based off items. I'm not going to lie, I keep trying with FG but it is really starting to make me feel stupid. :(

I know about this wiki 5E Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects) but my brain just cant figure out how to make it work in practice though because of inputting the syntax and other bits in the correct places. :cry:

So here goes.

I need to create the following actions and effects and please don't shout at me for being completely incompetent if it's actually much simpler than I think:

1) A weapon attack for the Alchemist's Fire item which is in the Adventuring Gear items (can also be applied to things like the acid flask):
It states, "This sticky, adhesive fluid ignites when exposed to air. As an action, you can throw this flask up to 20 feet, shattering it on impact. Make a ranged attack against a creature or object, treating the alchemist's fire as an improvised weapon. On a hit, the target takes 1d4 fire damage at the start of each of its turns. A creature can end this damage by using its action to make a DC 10 Dexterity check to extinguish the flames."

Creating a thrown weapon that deals 1d4 damage is nice and easy... but how do I make it so it deals the damage at the start of every turn unless they succeed the save? Or is that not possible? I wondered if it would be better to set it up as a spell but then how do I account for ammo?

2) A magic thrown item that shatters so the enemy needs to check against the players save DC (eg. 8+stat+prof) or avoid all damage. Player will have a choice of 3 damage types and limited ammo (so the same problem as above really). Again, would it be better to set it as a power/spell to account for the different damage types rather than a weapon... and if so, how?

3) ... and this is the one that is driving me insane at the moment... a power that applies a poison to a weapon for a limited period of time. The poison will do something like 2d4 damage on a failed con check against a save DC and can be applied to either a melee weapon or a set number of ammo which will last for a minute.

I couldn't quite figure out if this should be posted here, the workshop or the 5e thread either sorry.

LordEntrails
April 25th, 2017, 21:56
Hey, don't worry, no one around here should be yelling. First, you can not apply effects to items. You either have to apply them to the character in the combat tracker, or put them on the character sheet as a power/action/spell.

Now, that's not all that helpful, so I know there are a couple of blog posts examples. I'm going to go find those and will be back. In the meantime, Trenloe or Zacheaus or someone will come in and beat me to it :)

LordEntrails
April 25th, 2017, 22:14
Check out this post. It has a similar question and a bunch of advice. If you still need help, just let us know.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37951-Dagger-of-Venom-Effects&highlight=poisoned+weapon

Zacchaeus
April 25th, 2017, 22:41
Hi Ofmice, welcome to FG.

Have a look through this article on the wiki (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Powers) which might help you begin to understand some things about creating effects in the character sheet.

For all of these create a new power and proceed like the graphic attached. Click the button at the bottom to add a new power and then right click to add a new one. Right click on the line to get the menu option for attack, damage, healing and effect and then click the little magnifying glass to get the dialog. Fill them in like the picture.

OfMiceAndDM
April 28th, 2017, 04:27
So I think I have managed to do what I needed to (it helped that I figured out that the poison I'm using just deals poison damage and not the poisoned status effect) but I'm not 100%.

Would someone who is better at the whole syntax thing just cast an eye over this to see if I have made any glaring errors?

Spin-Man
April 28th, 2017, 08:18
If you delete the brackets around the 1d4 fire damage for the alchemist's flask, it will apply the damage automatically at the beginning of the affected creature's turn. You won't need to roll damage manually since it does no damage upon impact, so you can remove the damage action. You should also remove the saving throw from the cast effect, since they don't get a saving throw to avoid it. They would have to make a Dex check on their turn (without their Proficiency bonus, since it is not a save) and then the effect can be removed from them.

Hope that helps!

Zacchaeus
April 28th, 2017, 09:10
In additiin to what Spin-man says in the last one the condition is poisoned. Poison on its own won't do anything.