PDA

View Full Version : Draconic Ancestor help

Morik
April 25th, 2017, 14:17
Working on an effect for part of the Draconic Ancestor Feature for the Aasimar. The text states: whenever you make a Charisma check when interacting with dragons, your proficiency bonus is doubled if it applies to the check.

The character has a proficiency bonus of 2. So my effect is written as - Draconic Ancestor; IFT: TYPE (dragon); CHECK: 4 charisma

It has no duration and targets Self. It doesn't work. When I remove the [IFT: TYPE (dragon);] it works perfectly. But when I put that back in, it doesn't add the additional 4 whether I'm targeting a dragon or not. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but it's bugging the heck out of me.

Thanks in advance :)

Zacchaeus
April 25th, 2017, 16:14
It's not working because the IFT statement will only work if you are targeting something with an attack. It would work if the attack included a Charisma saving throw or allowed extra damage or additions to the attack roll, but I'm assuming that the interaction here is other than an attack since you are needing to make an ability check. There isn't really any way to automate that feature; all you could do is have an effect which could be placed on the PC when needed. You can also prepare the effect thusly CHECK: [2PRF], charisma

Morik
April 25th, 2017, 18:16
Aha! Couldn't find the PRF for the Proficiency stat in the Wiki. OK, thanks :) I must have messed with that for 45 mins. lol

Dracius
April 25th, 2017, 18:55
I just made a separate skill on the skill tab titled "Draconic Ancestry" to use when interacting with dragons. Set it to be CHA based and give it double prof. You're going to be using the skills tab anyway when making the skill check, so it's much easier to just click a purpose built skill. It's also a good reminder that you have the skill because when you go to make a deception/persuasion/intimidation/performance roll you'll see "Draconic Ancestry" right there next to them.