PDA

View Full Version : FGU Images and Layers Demo Titles

ddavison
April 25th, 2017, 03:12
Now that we've finally gotten Carl past most of the boring stuff, he's been able to stretch his legs and have a little fun with images. This is still very much a prototype, but as you can see, it's coming along very nicely and he's making pretty short work of it so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJBXbxfTwB4

dulux-oz
April 25th, 2017, 03:16
Looking good :)

celestian
April 25th, 2017, 03:24
Great stuff, asked this on the youtube channel but I'll ask it here... will it be possible to hide a layer from players but not a DM? I'd love to drop a pre-made player map image and then drop the same size/scale DM version of it on top and the players see theirs and I see mine.

It seemed like hiding was there but not sure if it's at that level?

LordEntrails
April 25th, 2017, 03:25
Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Bidmaron
April 25th, 2017, 03:29
OK. I am ready to pay my $100 for FGU Ultimate right now.

El Condoro
April 25th, 2017, 04:17
Do the images come with FGU or are they separate (bought from another party or in our own collection)?

Nyghtmare
April 25th, 2017, 05:22
Do the images come with FGU or are they separate (bought from another party or in our own collection)?
I was wondering that very same thing... but I doubted that the assets would be included with the Unity engine itself, outside of perhaps the weather effects.

pindercarl
April 25th, 2017, 05:23
will it be possible to hide a layer from players but not a DM? I'd love to drop a pre-made player map image and then drop the same size/scale DM version of it on top and the players see theirs and I see mine.

We're still building features and working out the UI, but you can expect to be able to hide layers from players. While you could have two maps, one for the player and one for the GM; layering GM-only information onto the map that is invisible to the players may be a more practical approach.

pindercarl
April 25th, 2017, 05:27

The specific images in the video are modified images from https://madcowchef.deviantart.com/gallery/48647465/Free-Map-Tiles and from https://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=16821

I haven't done any 2D based tilemaps in a long time and they were readily available.

celestian
April 25th, 2017, 05:41
We're still building features and working out the UI, but you can expect to be able to hide layers from players. While you could have two maps, one for the player and one for the GM; layering GM-only information onto the map that is invisible to the players may be a more practical approach.

Understood. I just have a lot of dual maps for player/DM. Not something I'd do all the time but it certainly makes my mapping a bit easier since I can do it all in CC3+ and not have to worry about having the same assets in FG.

Thanks for the update. Looks great!

Asmo
April 25th, 2017, 06:58
Thx for the demo, looking good!
A DM only layer would be really helpful. Using small texts to see info at a glance instead of hovering over pins (i use this as a workaround) would be nice.
Speaking of DM only, it would be nice to have a DM only text format (ala Chatframe) so we can share a story but not the DM marked text.

gaara6666
April 25th, 2017, 07:02
Tis a thing of beauty Carl. To gaze upon it with a heavy heart lifted. Atmosphere and art, time and temptation. TRULY AWESOME. Also wait til Damned and johnD get a load a of this...

damned
April 25th, 2017, 08:03
Tis a thing of beauty Carl. To gaze upon it with a heavy heart lifted. Atmosphere and art, time and temptation. TRULY AWESOME. Also wait til Damned and johnD get a load a of this...

Hey! What have I done now?

Zacchaeus
April 25th, 2017, 09:11
Great work Carl; nice to know that you are still alive and well too :)

Asterionaisien
April 25th, 2017, 10:39
A DM only layer would be really helpful. Using small texts to see info at a glance instead of hovering over pins (i use this as a workaround) would be nice.
Speaking of DM only, it would be nice to have a DM only text format (ala Chatframe) so we can share a story but not the DM marked text.

This is a really good Idea! Especially the second part, that way a DM can have a very handy reminder.

leozelig
April 25th, 2017, 11:35

There is a link in Moon Wizard's signature for suggesting features. If someone else has already suggested it, then you can add your vote.

NotRussellCrowe
April 25th, 2017, 11:56
Looking really nice!

What kind of system are we going to need to run weather effects and still have a smooth experience rolling dice and moving tokens around and such?

mhorgunn
April 25th, 2017, 13:10
This looks amazing. Absolutely ... Worth the wait.

Patou
April 25th, 2017, 14:03
Sweet Mother Theresa!!!!! I'm like Coco for Coco Puffs!! This is like showing your pack of gum but holding out and making peoples tongue drip....

Looks freaking awesome!!

Ken L
April 25th, 2017, 14:27
Really cool, i didn't expect the weather effects layering so bravo. I'm curious about the graphics implementation given the current FG build on Mac and Linux rely on Dx9 wine emulation. Relying on emulation kinda puts us in a rut unless it's OpenGL or something cross platform for FGU.

Great seeing incremental progress!

LordEntrails
April 25th, 2017, 14:33
I believe Unity runs native on Macs.

ddavison
April 25th, 2017, 14:35
Really cool, i didn't expect the weather effects layering so bravo. I'm curious about the graphics implementation given the current FG build on Mac and Linux rely on Dx9 wine emulation. Relying on emulation kinda puts us in a rut unless it's OpenGL or something cross platform for FGU.

Great seeing incremental progress!

With the Unity rebuild, we will have native compiling on Mac and Linux and no need for DirectX libraries anymore and no more WINE.

pindercarl
April 25th, 2017, 14:38
What kind of system are we going to need to run weather effects and still have a smooth experience rolling dice and moving tokens around and such?

The weather effects, as well as the rest of the rendering in FGU, are GPU accelerated. Checking the profiler, the rain effect takes 0.05ms on a GeForce GTS 450—which is a five year old graphics card.

I'm curious about the graphics implementation given the current FG build on Mac and Linux rely on Dx9 wine emulation. Relying on emulation kinda puts us in a rut unless it's OpenGL or something cross platform for FGU.

FGU will be Mac and Linux native.

Talyn
April 25th, 2017, 15:03
As can be seen here (https://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform), the Unity engine is specifically built to be multi-platform. For Fantasy Grounds purposes, they're aiming at native Windows, Mac and Linux builds, as @pindercarl and @ddavison have stated. No WINE, no workarounds, no legacy DirectX.

JohnD
April 25th, 2017, 15:04
This looks very reminiscent of putting a map together with Neverwinter Nights; tile based terrain with individual or a collection of placeables. As long as there's variety it shouldn't look like every tree is the same etc...

ddavison
April 25th, 2017, 15:07
@pindercarl, what are you doing up already? You need your sleep so you can keep adding awesome new features to FGU!

:p

gaara6666
April 25th, 2017, 15:16
Carl you beautiful son of a gun go rest. But sweet baby Moses do I want a slight rumble weather effect for earthquakes or stampedes or impending danger. Or a fire version for being on fire. Or mist....YOU SPOILED ME CARL.... YOU MONSTER :) :)

pindercarl
April 25th, 2017, 16:27
Carl you beautiful son of a gun go rest. But sweet baby Moses do I want a slight rumble weather effect for earthquakes or stampedes or impending danger. Or a fire version for being on fire. Or mist....YOU SPOILED ME CARL.... YOU MONSTER :) :)

https://vimeo.com/214687672

@gaara6666 you'll have to try harder next time :)

LordEntrails
April 25th, 2017, 16:35
As can be seen here (https://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform), the Unity engine is specifically built to be multi-platform. For Fantasy Grounds purposes, they're aiming at native Windows, Mac and Linux builds, as @pindercarl and @ddavison have stated. No WINE, no workarounds, no legacy DirectX.
Maybe a FGU viewer app for my TV?

gaara6666
April 25th, 2017, 18:36
https://vimeo.com/214687672

@gaara6666 you'll have to try harder next time :)

Never try..... that's my motto Carl

Asterionaisien
April 25th, 2017, 18:53
Unity build is native/will work for mobile tablets and phones too? That would be a really big bang for fg!

MarianDz
April 25th, 2017, 19:25
uff?!? uff!!! no comment needed:ninja:

LordEntrails
April 25th, 2017, 19:39
Unity build is native/will work for mobile tablets and phones too? That would be a really big bang for fg!
Unity is capable to support many platforms. But, that doesn't mean FG will be available on all of them.

I'm not a developer, but I suspect it depends what libraries and functions are used as to which platforms you can port to.

Also, SmiteWorks has only said native Windows, Mac and Linux support. I think everyone is hopeful for more,but not commitments as to anything other than those.

gaara6666
April 25th, 2017, 19:44
I'll take just those 3. We don't need to add 3 years to release just for mobile :)

Asterionaisien
April 26th, 2017, 06:10
Yeah, but that way a good chunk of a possible playerbase is cut off. I had 2 people who could nto play in one shots because they had only mobile (mac).

damned
April 26th, 2017, 06:24
Yeah, but that way a good chunk of a possible playerbase is cut off. I had 2 people who could nto play in one shots because they had only mobile (mac).

Mobile device support will in all likelihood require a massive UI rewrite because there are many things that require a right click or a click and drag etc.
SW would love to support Android and iOS so Im sure they will do it if they can.

Myrdin Potter
April 26th, 2017, 07:05
I love the effects at the end for weather and such.

Not really sold on the map editor features otherwise as I have 3rd party programs that specialize in it.

I would prefer a wysiwyg adventure editor including reference manuals over a map editor that is not as good as a dedicated program.

damned
April 26th, 2017, 07:22
I love the effects at the end for weather and such.

Not really sold on the map editor features otherwise as I have 3rd party programs that specialize in it.

I would prefer a wysiwyg adventure editor including reference manuals over a map editor that is not as good as a dedicated program.

My understanding is that its not intended as a full blow map editor but does allow you to do it as required.
Additionally this support will allow you to do things that the Enhanced Images Layers Extension does but inbuilt.
It is quite a highly requested item.
I think also that one of TableTopConnects big features was ingame map building - with 3d assets! - and this might be a first step towards that feature.

And of course the effects layer might be a lot of fun :)

What is it that you cant do for the Adventure Editor already? Most Adventures in the store are made in game. Reference Manuals are probably not a high priority for FGU...

Myrdin Potter
April 26th, 2017, 07:30
Savage Worlds has reference manuals kludged in and there are a ton of threads on the need to learn XML to do reference manuals/ in line images and such in 5e.

Since what the average DM (and players) sees is the content, a much more developed editor is more important for me than a map editor which there are a lot of alternatives.

I am one guy, that is my opinion.

Talyn
April 26th, 2017, 12:25
True, but if an average GM is just building his own content for his own homebrew game with friends... does he need a reference manual? Does he need collapsible indexes, and other things that have to be done in XML?

And nothing has them "kludged in," reference manuals are part of CoreRPG so they're all the same (except 4E which still uses the original version of reference manuals and is incompatible with what we use everywhere else).

Myrdin Potter
April 26th, 2017, 14:15
The "kludge" is the basic editing functionality built into the Savage Worlds ruleset that only works for that ruleset (and can be used in other rulesets with some jumping through hoops).

As I said, tile-based map making is done by several good external map programs. I was very impressed with the weather effects, that is a great addition fo FG as when you are running the adventure you can add a lot of atmosphere.

Everyone has slightly different expectations. I want a much better built in editor and already have map making software.

pindercarl
April 26th, 2017, 15:17
Improvements to the image control doesn't preclude improvements to the formatted text control. damned is correct that the majority of the highly requested features on the wish list are map improvements. There are additional features still in development and they will all make for an improved experience at the virtual table. However, we do have discussions very much like this. We'd also like to see more improvements to the text features. I won't disagree with your assessment that the reference manuals are a "kludge." It makes use of FG features in a way that they were not originally intended and I think that meets the definition. Requiring the reference manuals to be created only with raw XML is not the best solution.

While we have already added some improvements to the formatted text control, the new image control features are lower hanging fruit. The layer functions are based on the existing character sheet technology I developed for Tabletop Connect. Additionally the current image control is less complex that the formatted text control allowing for more leeway in development without breaking existing FG content. The first rule of FGU is don't break Fantasy Grounds.

I am confident that we will be able to address the issues with the formatted text control in a way that will satisfy your needs. I'm glad you like the weather effects. I appreciate the feedback and look forward to more of it in the future.

celestian
April 26th, 2017, 15:37
Everyone has slightly different expectations. I want a much better built in editor and already have map making software.

I certainly hope that those needs can be meet at some point as well. I REALLY want to be able to build modules/reference books within FG. I'm already a klutz with xml so I'd prefer to avoid it ;)

Trenloe
April 26th, 2017, 16:35
I REALLY want to be able to build modules/reference books within FG.
You absolutely can build modules within FG. With v3.3.0 there are even more data entities you can enter through the FG interface. The main thing lacking is the reference manual - which is really a nice-to-have, you can still do a lot with story entries. Not using the reference manual functionality shouldn't stop you being able to build fully fledged FG modules.

yarnevk
April 26th, 2017, 16:41
A tile based mapper needs to have thumbnail previews of the tiles to be productive (like the tokens selector) Also can story templates link to tiles?

You really should take to WOTC about getting clean art from their old map tiles series from the last decade. They had released clean art for the basic tiles once on their old web site, and I am well aware of sites that have scanned and violated copyrights of the other tiles at poor quality.

Myrdin Potter
April 26th, 2017, 16:42
There are a few new features that are not easy to show in a youtube teaser that I am also excited about. For example, moving from 32 bit to 64 bit memory model means much bigger maps and more ability to share content without the program crashing. Improvements to the networking code will make it much simpler to connect players. I am sure you can manipulate and move the windows much easier and there will be better controls to resize maps to handle all the different screen sizes out there.

So I am eagerly looking forward to this, I just want editor improvements so I can create and convert content to take advantage of all the new features.

Most of the map requests are around layers and effects, which the demo does show at the end with weather and other effects and filters applied.

I certainly will be a backer on the Kickstarter and have already backed the program with an Ultimate license and external blogs on it.

The included content editor is much better than it was when I first started not that long ago and I was able to create a module that is for sale in the store now using only in game tools. If you do not want reference manual format, they are pretty decent now and a bunch of the "programming" in XML went away for classes and other things that were a ton more complicated before.

celestian
April 26th, 2017, 16:47
You absolutely can build modules within FG. With v3.3.0 there are even more data entities you can enter through the FG interface. The main thing lacking is the reference manual - which is really a nice-to-have, you can still do a lot with story entries. Not using the reference manual functionality shouldn't stop you being able to build fully fledged FG modules.

Maybe I should have just said "I REALLY want to be able to build modules AND reference books within FG.".

Indeed I can build modules w/o reference manuals.

swbuza
April 26th, 2017, 17:35
Awesome!

ddavison
April 26th, 2017, 17:43
Many of these requested features are also on our internal wishlists. This addresses a big one that is often requested. Probably the biggest challenge with editors is the need to also support our existing back catalog and older community built content. Maps and drawing support within FG was very poor in the current version, though, and it was long overdue for an overhaul even if it wasn't also one of the most requested upgrades.

Asterionaisien
April 26th, 2017, 18:14
My hopes for FGU are related especially to ease of use, or more specifically, a better "plug and play" approach. With that i mean native videochat and native ambient music streaming.

LordEntrails
April 26th, 2017, 18:28
I will chime in that better GM tools for module creation are high on my list. But, I'm confident they are coming. I will still poke John and Carl about the idea of having a "GM Mode" for content development. The configurable buttons are the first step in this direction. I have hope that more improvements will be made in time.

mythikwolf
April 26th, 2017, 22:17
*throws money at the screen*

Seriously. That looks amazing.

DGM
April 27th, 2017, 09:37
That looks amazing especially the weather effects, it's the thing I never knew about and always needed.

Xydonus
April 27th, 2017, 10:26
Nice video. Didn't expect the filters at the end, that took me by surprise, and pretty awesome as well to see an immersive feature like that. Be curious to see how all these improvements come into play and effect performance and that.

whiteTiki
April 28th, 2017, 05:34
Excellent work and congrats for the dev team! Everything looks great and promising. Keep up the good work!

yarnevk
April 28th, 2017, 16:46
As I said, tile-based map making is done by several good external map programs....already have map making software.

I think you miss the point of having tiled maps built in. If you use an external tiler - you have to save it as a very large image to load it into FG even though it has repeated details. The entire point of doing it in FG is you only have to push the details onto your players once and their client repeat those details to form the image.

Myrdin Potter
April 28th, 2017, 16:55
I think you miss the point of having tiled maps built in. If you use an external tiler - you have to save it as a very large image to load it into FG even though it has repeated details. The entire point of doing it in FG is you only have to push the details onto your players once and their client repeat those details to form the image.

But the program would push the tile and the position of the tile and then the client would have to work to display all the tiles. If you use the same tile over and over I can see some savings, but I am sure tiles other than a basic set will be DLC and the GM will have to own them. And the external map maker would have a lot more features and such.

Once you get past the memory limits the current program has, I am not sure what sending a jpg will mean compared to sending tiles. Especially since many (pretty much everyone) would have maps from outside the program and that is already a core function that would be replicated.

I am fine with having the ability built in and the weather effects are awesome, I am just. It as excited as I would be for other features. I am obviously a minority.

LordEntrails
April 28th, 2017, 17:34
I see built in mapping as another valuable capability. It's probably not where I will make my maps. But we all know that it is a repeated request and/or complaint. Plus, being able to send you players on a bio break for 5 minutes while you throw together a quick map because they went off the rails (again!) will be nice.

pindercarl
April 28th, 2017, 19:09
While it is true that a big advantage of maps that are tiled withing FGU is the reduced network bandwidth and on-the-fly map creation, there are a few other advantages that are not immediately evident in the demo (in part because all of the features are not present, or because they do not directly relate to tiles).

1) Once the layer opacity is exposed, you'll be able to adjust the opacity of layers. For example, you could put the tree foliage layer above the tokens and decreased the opacity. This would allow you have the foliage on the map, but still see tokens that are below the tree cover.
2) Roof ripping. An image of the roof of a building can be placed over the building itself. Once the players are inside of the building, you can hide the roof layer. In this way, the contents of the building wouldn't be revealed until necessary.
3) Traps and secret doors. Keep your traps and secret doors hidden until the players trigger or discover them.

Andraax
April 28th, 2017, 19:14
I also see applications with passageways that go over / under other passageways (currently very difficult to work with in a VTT.

JohnD
April 28th, 2017, 19:16
Carl, can you comment on the in game view for these maps? Will it be strictly top down or will there be camera movement possible to allow something approximating a 2d map view or something else?

JohnD
April 28th, 2017, 19:17
I also see applications with passageways that go over / under other passageways (currently very difficult to work with in a VTT.

Oh yes there are many really nice maps out there that would benefit from this.

pindercarl
April 28th, 2017, 19:26
Carl, can you comment on the in game view for these maps? Will it be strictly top down or will there be camera movement possible to allow something approximating a 2d map view or something else?

I can't comment on additional views at the moment. I'm not being coy about it. There is a significant amount of work the improve/update the existing image control before any extraordinarily new features can be added.

JohnD
April 28th, 2017, 21:40
I can't comment on additional views at the moment. I'm not being coy about it. There is a significant amount of work the improve/update the existing image control before any extraordinarily new features can be added.

No worries!

LordEntrails
April 28th, 2017, 22:13
While it is true that a big advantage of maps that are tiled withing FGU is the reduced network bandwidth and on-the-fly map creation, there are a few other advantages that are not immediately evident in the demo (in part because all of the features are not present, or because they do not directly relate to tiles).

1) Once the layer opacity is exposed, you'll be able to adjust the opacity of layers. For example, you could put the tree foliage layer above the tokens and decreased the opacity. This would allow you have the foliage on the map, but still see tokens that are below the tree cover.
2) Roof ripping. An image of the roof of a building can be placed over the building itself. Once the players are inside of the building, you can hide the roof layer. In this way, the contents of the building wouldn't be revealed until necessary.
3) Traps and secret doors. Keep your traps and secret doors hidden until the players trigger or discover them.
I had not thought of these possibilities. But now of course how am I going to have a building larger on the inside than that outside? (Like so many CRPG's have!)

Keep up the good work, you're getting us all anxious :)

damned
April 29th, 2017, 01:59
***guessing here - no insider knowledge***

tabletop connect showcased a number of 3d mapping elements including building 3d maps in-game.
that is going to use at least some of the same tiling mechanisms etc so its quite possible this is an early step towards some of Carl's cool stuff.

Moon Wizard
April 29th, 2017, 06:25
As Carl mentioned, the priority is to make sure we can at least do what we do today with as much backward compatibility as we can get. Of the things we have talked about overhauling for FGU, image records and token assets are the primary targets. It's a very iterative process bringing up a system with backward compatibility as well as maintaining existing code, so we don't want to talk too much about our planning. We have "many" plans, but we're not sure which ones will make the final cut for the first version of FGU.

Cheers,
JPG

Gooberosity
April 30th, 2017, 12:13
I'm curious about the graphics implementation given the current FG build on Mac and Linux rely on Dx9 wine emulation.

The Unity engine has multi-platform support. I am sure it requires a bit more work, so I don't know exactly how many platforms FGU will support, but here's a link to Unity's multi-platform page. Quite a few choices!

https://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform

damned
April 30th, 2017, 12:44
The Unity engine has multi-platform support. I am sure it requires a bit more work, so I don't know exactly how many platforms FGU will support, but here's a link to Unity's multi-platform page. Quite a few choices!

https://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform

Being able to export a client for Android or Xbox doesnt mean that it will be usable or enjoyable to use. The current UI/UX doesnt really lend itself to touch or console controllers for example. Porting to other devices is a far bigger job than simply being able to export a client app that will run.

Gooberosity
April 30th, 2017, 13:41
Being able to export a client for Android or Xbox doesnt mean that it will be usable or enjoyable to use. The current UI/UX doesnt really lend itself to touch or console controllers for example. Porting to other devices is a far bigger job than simply being able to export a client app that will run.

Exactly. I was just pointing out that Unity's engine allows for much easier cross platform development, so relying on emulators for Linux or Macs MIGHT not be required, depending on whether or not FG publishes in those formats.

NotRussellCrowe
April 30th, 2017, 13:42

I didn't know I wanted to run Fantasy Grounds on my Xbox One until you mentioned it, damned!

damned
April 30th, 2017, 13:43
Exactly. I was just pointing out that Unity's engine allows for much easier cross platform development, so relying on emulators for Linux or Macs MIGHT not be required, depending on whether or not FG publishes in those formats.

Linux and Mac are 100% on Fantasy Grounds target list for native clients :)
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37980-FGU-Images-and-Layers-Demo-Titles&p=334617&viewfull=1#post334617

Of course there is always that thing about mice, men and plans...

kevdog45
April 30th, 2017, 16:49
This looks cool but what is FGU? I know what it stands for but what will it be adding to Fantasy Grounds once released? Is there an intro post I missed?

pindercarl
April 30th, 2017, 16:53
This looks cool but what is FGU? I know what it stands for but what will it be adding to Fantasy Grounds once released? Is there an intro post I missed?

FGU is the informal name used to refer to port of Fantasy Grounds to the Unity platform currently in development. FGU will replace the current Fantasy Grounds client and will include improvements to rendering, UI, and networking. FGU will be backward compatible with existing rulesets.

kevdog45
April 30th, 2017, 16:56
FGU is the informal name used to refer to port of Fantasy Grounds to the Unity platform currently in development. FGU will replace the current Fantasy Grounds client and will include improvements to rendering, UI, and networking. FGU will be backward compatible with existing rulesets.

So I will lose no functionality that I currently have?

Trenloe
April 30th, 2017, 17:03
So I will lose no functionality that I currently have?
That is the number one design goal.

kevdog45
April 30th, 2017, 17:10
That is the number one design goal.

Great because that is my number one concern! I'm really glad Fantasy Grounds is working to make the product better though. I subscribe to the ultimate license but was really thinking about moving to a full license soon. Glad to hear improvements are coming, even if they cost a little more.

ShotGun Jolly
June 20th, 2017, 05:39
Will FG:U have the ability to adjust font sizes native in the GUI? My eyes are not getting any younger. lol. It would be a nice feature to have.

Ellspeth
June 20th, 2017, 14:52
You don't have the Big Fonts extension Jolly? My eyes were just as bad when I was 6 as they are now at 60, that extension has saved me a lot of squinting induced headaches.

Nilram the Grey
July 12th, 2017, 13:11
The font extensions are clunky at best and in reality don't work very well because of how FG is architected. No matter what the developer does things start overlapping and becoming illegible.

Valacar
July 24th, 2017, 04:45
I'm waiting on the 3D stuff :) way to go Carl (Tabletop Connect fan!)

RevenantBob
August 3rd, 2017, 15:42
Maps have always been where Fantasy Grounds has been behind the curve compared to other softwares. I'm glad there are plans in the works to make the map handling better in the software.

Ken L
August 3rd, 2017, 17:34
A map as a background would be great. Most usecases have only 1 active map, it would decrease the window management as everything else would just float above it. Alas, that won't happen..

pindercarl
August 3rd, 2017, 17:39
A map as a background would be great. Most usecases have only 1 active map, it would decrease the window management as everything else would just float above it. Alas, that won't happen..

I am always cautious not to promise features that are not complete or currently in development, but I wouldn't say that it won't happen.

LordEntrails
August 3rd, 2017, 17:45
I am always cautious not to promise features that are not complete or currently in development, but I wouldn't say that it won't happen.
You're in trouble now! Or at least if Doug sees this *G*

Seriously though, we all see such great potential that we hope for many things. But we also know, and appreciate, the approach you all take in not promising anything until it is certain you can deliver.

sturtus
August 4th, 2017, 14:51
Getting the system into Unity properly, with great care, will attract young talent, encourage CI/CD, open countless UI/UX opportunities, and improve performance immensely. Before we start making UI requests or judging interface changes, let's just applaud them for being courageous enough to go through a process that regularly KILLS software companies when done improperly.

With that, as a DM I would greatly appreciate any UI updates that improve the popup fatigue I suffer during content heavy sessions (Curse of Strahd in Vallaki was particularly hard to manage with so many NPC's, locations, and plots spread across the chapter in different FG story cards and having a single story page that could populate with pages instead of a new popup every time would have helped to find stuff I had loaded to keep on hand.) The hot links on the bottom are a great way to get around this to force the popup/screen to the front, but there are times when I have to have the players hold while I try to find the popup on my screen because it's not hot linked.

Nilram the Grey
August 5th, 2017, 15:06
Sturtus,

I was having the same issue. I have found two things make it much better for me. First, I make my own story boards within the module. I just add story entries linking the modules key entries together along with notes on how I want to handle things. I name them prefixed with my first name, so they are easy to find. Second, I edit the module story entries to make them specific to my party/preference. Third, I link the story boards I've created as well as maps and images that are soon to be revealed, to the hot keys at the bottom of the window. If there are a lot of images likely to be revealed together I collect them in a single story board and link that for quick reference.

I hope this helps to make the existing framework work better for you.