PDA

View Full Version : No microphone

Tureon
April 24th, 2017, 23:54
Hi all. I was thinking about getting the base game and the complete core pack. But I don't hace a microphone right now. I have headphones so I can hear but no mic. Do you think there are many groups that would accept me or should I wait and get my microphone first?

Thanks

damned
April 24th, 2017, 23:58
Hi Tureon there are a smaller number of text only games. Keep your eye out for those. You will find it easier to get a game if you do have the Mic option too though.

Tureon
April 25th, 2017, 00:04
Hi Damned thanks for the fast reply. I figured something as much. I mean you want to hear the excitement in someones voice during the game. I also don't have a camera. Will that also hurt do you think?

swbuza
April 25th, 2017, 00:04
Only in games that require video; which are much rarer.

Tureon
April 25th, 2017, 00:13
Thanks for the reply swbuza. I am super excited to start this adventure.:)

SirGraystone
April 25th, 2017, 00:16
I have been running games in text only since last September, so we are out there :-)

Tureon
April 25th, 2017, 00:22
Really SirGraystone. So there IS hope!

LordEntrails
April 25th, 2017, 00:51
I have no idea what the percentage is, but there definitely is a core group of people that prefer text only games. And then probably an equal size group that require video. Check out the LFG forums to see what you can find :)

And welcome :)

Tureon
April 25th, 2017, 01:08
Thanks for the reply LordEntrails. I will look around.

Nyghtmare
April 25th, 2017, 05:14
I used to run a campaign that was streamed (audio but no video of the players)... it was actually the streamer himself that got me back into DMing again.

Since then, however, all of my games have been text only. We do connect on TeamSpeak, but it is only for out-of-character kind of chatting — everything happens inside of FG itself.

Me and my players actually prefer it this way... even my players that are in other campaigns with other DMs where they use voice for their actions and in-game conversations.

celestian
April 25th, 2017, 05:16
Hi Damned thanks for the fast reply. I figured something as much. I mean you want to hear the excitement in someones voice during the game. I also don't have a camera. Will that also hurt do you think?

I think most folks don't care about video but voice is pretty important these days for a faster paced game.

Nyghtmare
April 25th, 2017, 05:20
I think most folks don't care about video but voice is pretty important these days for a faster paced game.
I think video only matters if you are streaming the game or the like.

And not everyone is looking for a "fast paced game" for the record. ;)

SirGraystone
April 25th, 2017, 11:01
Voice don't always make for a faster game, often you get more out of context chat which slow the pace of the story.

You do get more social interaction from voice but the players. It all depends of what you are looking for.

Black Hammer
April 25th, 2017, 16:29
I usually type over ten pages a day, so voice is a way to get a break.