PDA

View Full Version : Chat window border graphics and side buttons

Niles
April 24th, 2017, 19:06
I've seen some themes where there are custom graphics surrounding the chat window. How do you create this? I'm trying to build a module for Pure Steam. I'd also like to change the graphics of the side buttons and wanted it to look more "steampunk".

Talyn
April 24th, 2017, 20:19
Are you doing an official conversion? If so I'll take that off my queue...

Niles
April 24th, 2017, 21:14
Are you doing an official conversion? If so I'll take that off my queue...

No, not an official conversion as of yet. I started it just for myself, but the more involved I got in it, I've begun to think it could be an official conversion. I remember in a former post you said you may take on this. I'm far from an expert at this kind of thing. I was actually going to get hold of you at some point to show you what I had. Like I said, I'm sure I'm not as good at this thing as you are, but I'm learning fast. Is this something we could perhaps tackle together?

Talyn
April 24th, 2017, 21:19
Yeah, if you're on the FG Discord I'm usually on there. I mentored another new fellow and his first project turned out awesome. I totally don't mind if you take it! I was gonna sic SmiteWorks on the publisher anyway because there's currently no license agreement with them, but I'm sure they'd be open to the idea just like d20pfsrd was with Starjammer. Plus once the agreement is in place, they can provide the official art assets for theming... which was going to be my second request of SmiteWorks. :)

Niles
April 24th, 2017, 21:27
Cool, Talyn! I'm quite a ways in to the first Pure Steam pdf. I don't know some of the technical things like coding, however. I'm building a module using the side buttons. I have an extension that can change the background but can't change the graphics on the buttons or chat window. I'd like to keep in contact to get your advice. What is the FG Discord, by the way?

Talyn
April 24th, 2017, 21:34
It's in my signature! :)

I've made quick-reads of the PDF a few times but nothing super-deep. I didn't see anything that stood out as requiring Lua scripting to modify the existing PFRPG ruleset, which right now is above my capabilities. My specialty right now is easy-to-read optimized XML for all the playable content and reference manuals. I've pulled off some basic theming (though I still haven't found good docs in layman's terms for some of the numeric parameters) but that was going to be the last thing on my list to do for Pure Steam anyway, which would give SmiteWorks time to hash out the licensing with the publisher and put the PSD art assets in my DropBox.

Niles
April 24th, 2017, 21:38
It's in my signature! :)

I've made quick-reads of the PDF a few times but nothing super-deep. I didn't see anything that stood out as requiring Lua scripting to modify the existing PFRPG ruleset, which right now is above my capabilities. My specialty right now is easy-to-read optimized XML for all the playable content and reference manuals. I've pulled off some basic theming (though I still haven't found good docs in layman's terms for some of the numeric parameters) but that was going to be the last thing on my list to do for Pure Steam anyway, which would give SmiteWorks time to hash out the licensing with the publisher and put the PSD art assets in my DropBox.

Wow, it seems like you really know your stuff. I hope I don't disappoint. OK, so Discord is a voice and chat server you can use in your browser. I'll download it. If this turns out good, I'd like to tackle Pure Steam Westbound as well. I love the genre. Thanks for the support!

Talyn
April 24th, 2017, 21:39
Absolutely, man! I'm all for having new community developers cranking out awesome professional-quality DLC! Happy to assist in any way I can.

Niles
April 26th, 2017, 05:56
OK Talyn, let the mentoring begin. Here's my first question...I'm saving images from the .pdf and storing them in the images file in the app data file. I'm using the images in other parts of the module, like showing certain races or classes with their description. But when people use the module, they aren't going to want to see those images under the images button. That is for their images when they run their own campaign. If I take out the images in the "images and maps" file, will they also disappear in the rest of the module?

Also, if you have time and can look at the Pure Steam .pdf, I'm listing Effect and Target Schematics under "Spells", and wanted to get your opinion that that is the right category to put them under.

Niles (Mike)

Talyn
April 26th, 2017, 12:40
Um... my coffee hasn't kicked in yet so I'm not totally sure what you're asking. I'm the oddball who doesn't even use the Images & Maps to add stuff, I do it directly in the XML so I have better control of things.

I pinged you in Discord. If you see that, bunch of us can help in there. :)