PDA

View Full Version : D&D Monster Maker and parsing

Maasq
April 22nd, 2017, 13:25
Hi folks. Firstly, I hope this is the correct place to post this, and if it isn't I am happy for someone with arcane powers to move it elsewhere!

I have quite a few pdfs I'd like to use to convert monsters to FG. I have been using D&D Monster Maker (https://thegeniusinc.com/dd-monster-maker-download/?ref=2.3.3) (I hope posting a link is acceptable!) for other purposes, and I find it simple and convenient. I noted that 3 of its output options are text options, and was wondering if any of them magically match up with either Par5E or FG5E Parser.

Anyone have any ideas?

I suppose the follow-up question if it isn't possible is: how difficult is parsing creatures from pdf?

Zacchaeus
April 22nd, 2017, 16:40
If I am reading it correctly the output from that tool is either HTML or a png file. Neither of these are going to be any good for easy conversion into FG. For par5e you need a .txt file so if you can convert the HTML into text that might work. You'd still need to mark up the .txt file so that any of the 5e parsing tools can do it's work. Looks like you could also print out as a pdf. If you can do that then you can copy/paste the information into a .txt file and then do the mark up.

It actually might be easier to use kp9911's tool (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?30560-Fantasy-Grounds-5E-Parser) which I think does NPCs or use the pdfs that you have and copy paste from them into .txt files for use in par5e.

Maasq
April 22nd, 2017, 17:04
You can also set the output to be one of 3 text formats. Comparing the output to kp9911's tool looks like the Reddit option is closest, but there are extra characters as markup. It's on a wee dropdown menu at the very bottom of the window.

Does kp9911's tool just produce a text file for Par5E to parse?

Thanks for the help, Zacc.

Maasq
April 22nd, 2017, 17:28
I downloaded par5e and read the manual. Or at least the monster maker part :)
At least now I am on the right track.

Zacchaeus
April 22nd, 2017, 17:46
Does kp9911's tool just produce a text file for Par5E to parse?

I believe that this is exactly what it does.