PDA

View Full Version : Optimising FG performance

El Condoro
April 22nd, 2017, 12:25
I am hoping someone can point me to a post/thread or discussion about how to optimise the performance of FG. Some sort of tech specs doc on best practice FG-ing.

For example, I am curious exactly what is happening between hitting the 'Start' button for a campaign and when it displays on screen. There seems to be quite a lot going on and I'm hoping to discover how best to minimise this load time.

I assume the campaign is being loaded with all its images but also tokens. What else is loading and how can this process be sped up? Do modules that are marked with a red cross still get loaded locally at startup?
What are the optimal file sizes for images? Best formats (PNG, JPG etc.)?
How many tokens should be loaded and what file size should they be? How can redundant tokens be excised from the loading (only load the ones used in the loaded modules)?

In short, how can I get my FG to load as quickly as possible? Apart from my local version, I assume these considerations will affect online play, too (I use FG mostly locally). I've looked at the Wiki and FAQ but not found the stuff on this (could be a boy look, as my wife calls it)
Thanks in advance for any help.

Zacchaeus
April 22nd, 2017, 12:32
Yes, all campaign images and tokens will be loaded when you start the campaign as well as any modules that you have open.

Image size should be < 1Mb (.5Mb) even better and in .jpg and below 2048x2048px if possible. Tokens are always .png and usually token size is 100x110px for small are medium and 200px x 200px for all others

Put tokens in modules rather than in the campaign tokens folder or in the shared or any other folder. That way you can just open the module you need and then once the token is selected you can close it again (the token will still work even if the token module is closed).

El Condoro
April 22nd, 2017, 13:15
Put tokens in modules rather than in the campaign tokens folder or in the shared or any other folder. That way you can just open the module you need and then once the token is selected you can close it again (the token will still work even if the token module is closed).

Thanks for the tips. Can tokens be added to a token module en masse (like maps, story entries etc.) or do they need to be dragged to the Export window individually? Or is there some other way to do it?

Zacchaeus
April 22nd, 2017, 16:45
Instructions for creating a token module (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?21396-How-do-I-create-a-Token-Module) here.

damned
April 22nd, 2017, 16:46
Have a look at the FG Con Free Downloads - there is a Token module example there - several actually - The Pulp Token set and a couple of Letter Sets.

El Condoro
April 23rd, 2017, 00:45
Thanks for the tips. In trying to get a token library module to work (haven't succeeded yet, although everything looks as it should) I noted that there are about 6 or so .mod files that are not appearing in the Library/Modules that should be (e.g. Animals.mod, Animal pogs.mod and others). I'm pretty sure they were there even yesterday. They are not appearing at all in the Library/Modules list.

Trenloe
April 23rd, 2017, 00:46
I noted that there are about 6 or so .mod files that are not appearing in the Library/Modules that should be (e.g. Animals.mod, Animal pogs.mod and others). I'm pretty sure they were there even yesterday. They are not appearing at all in the Library/Modules list.
Get to token only modules from the Tokens window -> click the modules button there. You won't see them in the library.

El Condoro
April 23rd, 2017, 00:54
[facepalm] It's amazing the difference it makes when I do things the right way! Thanks for that - my tokens module/library is now working, too. Cheers