PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on where to ask about a new Linux build (CPU/MB)

Varsuuk
April 21st, 2017, 07:04
I am thinking about just replacing my CPU/MB/Mem on the system I used to run Linux on.

I always used to browse sites and mags like PCGamer whenever I build myself a new main PC. My linux PCs tend to be "hand-me-downs" from my old "main" pc whenever I would upgrade to a new gaming PC.

This time, I am not gaming enough so not doing that. My old system Quad still works fine. Just no longer near "premium" any longer. So, where would I go forum wise or so to post something like this? :

I was thinking to go inexpensive with an i3 Kaby Lake at like $114 and proper MB. Then, I wondered, is there a Quad core out there only slightly older that would be better for a (admittedly LOW load/use) server style linux box (really only for game server to play Minecraft local with son and also things like Git server, TS3 server plus finally occasional C++ or other language development.

Most likely, there are no non-real-old quads available to come close to $114. I am guessing if it is a recent pre-kaby CPU at <$200 it might be worth it. I'd like to have built in video (assuming it is now on all but I never got a chip with it in past thatI know of - always used discrete game cards but this pc will not experience heavy graphics use.

Only thing that worries me about going Kaby vs older Skylake is if it's "too soon" for Linux Ubuntu and/or Mint installs on the new processor.

Thanks!

Varsuuk
April 21st, 2017, 07:21
Sorry, one more thing in case anyone here has suggestions: I'd like it to have Displayport & HDMI for most options with my monitor inputs.

I'm guessing prob nice to get usb-c and usb-3.1 but not sure will matter much to me in this build.
Wish could get 2 Ethernets like my old Black Pearl had but since switched to Verizon from Cablevision, no longer have the linux box as my firewall and router. If in future I need 2 NICs, can always buy a discrete one.

Varsuuk
April 25th, 2017, 01:53
OK - been collecting the parts.

Got an i3 7320, Asus Z270 Prime A mb, Coolermaster T3 fan.

Planning on ordering the 8GB HyperX Black 2400 chips (2x4GB)... really wanted to get 2x8 but really, the old one has only 4GB and I am spending enough to start. Mother pcs range from laptop at 16gb to desktop @32gb so it's hard to resist but I shall persevere! ;)

Now, I plan on keeping my existing >old< PC Power & Cooling 750W PSU and instead buying a cheaper low wattage PSU for my parents (they are getting a rebuild of the old PC for Windows) - unless I cannot get a case where the cable will reach lol - since so far the cases I've looked at have the PSU thing at bottom like my main PC does and that was a stretch - will measure tomorrow to see what have to work with. Will also google to see if "extenders" is a "thing" or not for PSU cables hehe.

Any tips on "quietish" cases, I want several drive bays, currently all are normal 3.5 HDs. I have 5 but will likely give 1 or 2 to parents and retire a small one I have of only 160 it was in there only cos was too lazy to take it out in past. It's ... quite... old... ;) probably 2005 or older.

This case is more than I WANTED to spend (figured I'd go cheap in the 59-69max range) - but when scanned Amazon saw words like "quiet" and started thinking about getting a Coolermaster or some such for quiet fans etc. I do not think I will need to worry about loss of thermal stuff cos this is not a game machine, but it will be on 24x7.

Cooler Master Silencio 652S
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PIFQ8KI/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
(un or fortunately out of stock so I am still deciding if it is worth the extra $50 it has lots of drive stuff and seems "quiet aimed")

I started by looking at:
Corsair 100R & 330R
( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RORBQSW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R0ZHWC2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
)

Basically the case is probably the last thing I need to order. The MB is not delivered until May 2 according to Amazon so no BIG rush, I have prime so presuming its not out of stock, I'll get it fast. Figure will build a week from this weekend.

but then read about vibrating drive bays and or cheap bays etc and was hmmmm....

LordEntrails
April 25th, 2017, 03:28
I would think the fans and power supply are where the noise mostly comes from. I would think most any case would be close to the same. That said, you could probably line the two side panels with something like 2mm foam if sound where a big concern (as long as you don't cover any ventilation and the foam doesn't touch anything.

Varsuuk
April 25th, 2017, 05:16
I decided the MB was coming on 2nd, the other cases I was considering either had 2-4week shipping or "out of stock"(Silencio) and based on several gamer review sites (although, as I said, it isn't for gaming) I went with the Corsair 450D (only regret vs the cheaper tier 330R was 330R had 4 5.25 internal drive bays, and that is my "sweet spot" but heck, I'll prob splurge on SSD for it eventually and there are 2 more MB mounts for those. I had SSDs in my other pcs this is more of an "afterthought PC" until recently, I suspect it might change now that it is a better build that before.

So, ordered the last parts (450D case and the 8GB (2x4GB) 2666 memory) EDIT: And I went back canceled the memory and changed it to 16GB (8gbx2) cos I'm weak like that...

Only remaining things may be either PSU cable extenders if my current old (but quiet enough in the meh 8 yo Sonata case I have now) PSU don't reach MB sockets when it is mounted on bottom vs top as is now.
If it wasn't already a 750W PSU, I'd just buy another but once this one is built, I'll order a lower 400-450W for parents PC instead. I bought them a Dell system years ago but now it "isn't working" (it's ~10 years old lol) but it WAS working until their cable was changed to another carrier and the pc was moved and reconnected. Since it does not have Net access, I cannot troubleshoot as I normally do with the remote software. It's OK - I suspect I can get it working AND give them this one which is faster than their old AMD. My folks are >80 and mom's twin is living with them most times now so a second PC is prob useful for their mail/browsing. All they will need is a cheap second monitor. I'll be also taking my extra 2 HDDs and give them to them filled with pictures of our son Alex... whenever I visit I tend to bring a HDD loaded with sick amounts of pictures, now that he is 10, we've FINALLY slowed down enough to maybe fit a 128GB flash drive instead next time lol...

Galach
April 26th, 2017, 22:26
Well, I may be a bit late, but...

If you are planning on building a new machine, or purchasing a pre-assembled one to use it with Linux, I would strongly recommend picking one with a NVidia GPU, and preferably, avoid completely equipment’s with “Hybrid” or “Onboard” GPUs.

While this kind of setting have some support in Linux from NVidia side, it is almost non-existent on AMD side, and AMD GPUs have a very limited support in Linux right now, except for very old cards (4+ years old).

I am already considering the possibility to get back to Windows because as things are in this moment, I cannot make use of my “mobile”, “hybrid” AMD GPU, because the “old” fglrx driver is now deprecated, and cannot be installed in any modern distro, while the “new” drivers (open source AND proprietary) do not work with it.

Since I had updated to Mint 18.1, I had lost the ability to record my game sessions (because my AMD card is not working anymore), and the integrated Intel Card (part of the i5 processor) can’t handle borh FG and OBS under Linux (I doubt it would handle it in Windows too).

Also, FG performance decreased a lot after the update, for the same reason: the integrated GPU is not enough for a smooth experience. At least, I own a Windows license, and have this option, but if you do not have one, think twice about AMD and Linux right now.

Anyway, good luck =)

Varsuuk
April 27th, 2017, 00:45
Thanks man for the reply.

I don't have to worry much about graphics. I will be using the onboard Intel HD 630 graphics because I don't use this pc for gaming. I have Windows for that. I use it as a software development server and for running "game servers" like several Minecraft instances for my son to use in multiplayer and TS3 server, plus a few other things.

In fact, prior to buying a 24" for it so can have it and my macbook sharing a bigger screen - I had a really old damaged Dell 19 square monitor on it ;) bottom right the screen's "lamination" or what have you was all scraped up. Didn't matter - 98% of the time time I was looking at an SSH session to it vs doing anything on the machine directly. Even my C++ coding was done via Netbeans and remote connection.

Now, I intend on typing at the PC itself time to time since have a nice enough screen for it too.

I haven't owned an AMD Vid card since around 2004, so if I had gone discrete, it would have been nVidia. Long ago I selected that brand when at the time it was best perf/deal since then even when they ping ponged, I preferred to keep to one single type since I tend to have 3-6 computers at a time and it gets messy dealing with multiple brands and knowledge imo.