PDA

View Full Version : NPC rolls missing spell casting modifier

DMZeff
April 20th, 2017, 20:49
I'm unable to get NPCs to roll spells that include their spell casting modifier. Is there a more simple solution than manually changing the +/- on the bottom left every time I cast a spell that should include a spell casting modifier?

Example: Using the default "priest" stat block from the monster manual with +3 WIS modifier, when I use cure wounds, instead of rolling 1d8+3, it just rolls a flat 1d8. I've made no modifications to the stat block.

I use a lot of spellcasters and if there is a solution, I'd be grateful!

Zacchaeus
April 20th, 2017, 21:16
Hmm, I don't think that is working as expected. But leave it with me and I'll find out.

DMZeff
April 20th, 2017, 21:43
Thank you sir.

DMZeff
April 28th, 2017, 17:35
No luck?

Zacchaeus
April 28th, 2017, 17:41
I added it to Moon Wizard's list. He'll get to it when he gets to it ��

DMZeff
May 2nd, 2017, 21:01
Thank you sir

DMZeff
June 7th, 2017, 20:42
I'd just like to bump this for visibility since it's been nearly two months since I brought this up. All spell casting modifiers are still not working for NPC spells. Kind of a big deal for anyone who uses NPC casters in their campaign.

Zacchaeus
June 7th, 2017, 21:05
It's not a simple change and will require testing on all published material (and possibly having to redo every NPC in those publications). All of this takes time. No release date yet and I wouldn't expect it soon. It is, as I said, on Moon Wizard's radar.

L. R. Ballard
June 7th, 2017, 21:43
I have a related question on divine spellcasters. I made an 8th-level NPC using parse. The NPC is based on the priest in the MM, but he is entirely written up in parse. I chose the spell inflict wounds for the NPC. Inflict wounds is a 1st-level spell, but the priest can cast it at higher levels to do extra damage. So, by using a 3rd-level spell slot, an 8th-level priest can cast the spell for 5d10 necrotic damage rather than 3d10. I designated inflict wounds for use in a 3rd-level spell slot using the parse utility. The spell shows up correctly in the 3rd-level spell slot in the parsed NPC stat card. But after I move the NPC to the combat tracker, inflict wounds appears as a 1st-level spell. The automated damage indicator reads [DMG: 3d10 necrotic] instead of [DMG: 5d10 necrotic]. What is the best way to add the two extra damage dice given the present configuration of FG?

Zacchaeus
June 7th, 2017, 21:47
Two options. Either create a new line in the spell in the actions tab showing the revised damage. Or instead of clicking when you do the damage click and hold over the existing damage and right click to add two more dice and then drop on the target.

It shows on the CT as a 1st level spell because spells are 'parsed' when they land on the CT using the actual spell information. Hence it will show as correctly 1st level on the CT.

L. R. Ballard
June 7th, 2017, 22:34
Two options. Either create a new line in the spell in the actions tab showing the revised damage. Or instead of clicking when you do the damage click and hold over the existing damage and right click to add two more dice and then drop on the target.

I like the idea of adding a special line in the Actions tab.

After targeting the opponent, I tested right-clicking the damage dice and adding two extra dice. That works. Thanks.:)

It shows on the CT as a 1st level spell because spells are 'parsed' when they land on the CT using the actual spell information. Hence it will show as correctly 1st level on the CT.

That makes sense that the combat tracker returns the spell to its default level. It appears that adding an extra line to the Actions tab can both 1) automate correct damage and 2) cue the DM to the spell being cast at a higher level. That's probably the option I'll use. Thanks again.:)

L. R. Ballard
June 7th, 2017, 22:51
I have another question about divine spellcasters. (I'm converting clerics this week!) I parsed an NPC based on the priest from the MM. The priest can cast beacon of hope. One of the effects of beacon of hope is that its targets receive maximum healing from healing spells. So, with the priest and the ally already in the combat tracker, the priest targets the ally and casts beacon of hope on the target. The effect appears in the combat tracker on the targeted ally. However, when I click on the cure wounds spell, the target still receives a 1d8 (plus the spellcasting ability modifier when entered into the "Modifier" box). What is the best way for the ally to receive maximum healing from healing spells when an entity in the combat tracker is also under the effect of a beacon of hope?

Zacchaeus
June 7th, 2017, 23:03
The only way again would be to create a new line in the spell but instead of adding in a dice use the bonus box to enter the maximum possible healing.

LordEntrails
June 7th, 2017, 23:18
Basically Beacon of Hope is handled manually and the CT effect is just a reminder.

L. R. Ballard
June 7th, 2017, 23:28
The only way again would be to create a new line in the spell but instead of adding in a dice use the bonus box to enter the maximum possible healing.

Got it, thanks. I want to make sure I'm not missing anything as I'm creating NPCs.

L. R. Ballard
June 7th, 2017, 23:29
Basically Beacon of Hope is handled manually and the CT effect is just a reminder.

Okay, thanks. I want the NPCs I'm creating to reflect current best practices at all events.