PDA

View Full Version : Effects as reminders to forgetful DM's in the combat tracker

Gwydion
April 20th, 2017, 15:52
So, I know this is an obvious point, but if it helps one new DM then I consider it worth the post! I use "note" effects in the combat tracker to remind me of things and one thing I never thought to add (until today) is a note on darkvision. I don't look at the party sheet too often as a DM, so having a short note in an effect that says "no darkvision" or "darkvision 60ft". Is a good visual reminder for me to consider the lighting source as the party moves into new areas.

A picture of the combat tracker for my POTA game showing this is attached.

Obviously the application of effects as notes is much broader than using for vision reminders.....

Dracius
April 20th, 2017, 16:40
You should start looking at the party sheet more often. I find Darkvision the easiest thing to remember since it's static and almost never changes. I strongly encourage you to keep the party sheet open and next to the combat tracker. There is a lot of useful information on there, it also allows players to enter things into "Special Defenses" that you and the other players can see.

lordjeb
April 20th, 2017, 16:40
I use note effects as a player as well, for example, I have a "Concentration" effect that helps me remember I have a concentration spell in effect, and should help the DM remember that any damage I take may have an additional effect.

LordEntrails
April 20th, 2017, 16:42
You should start looking at the party sheet more often. I find Darkvision the easiest thing to remember since it's static and almost never changes. I strongly encourage you to keep the party sheet open and next to the combat tracker. There is a lot of useful information on there, it also allows players to enter things into "Special Defenses" that you and the other players can see.
Myself, I don't have room to keep the party sheet open. DM from a laptop screen. Hopefully though in the next few weeks I will have a dual monitor setup...

Gwydion
April 20th, 2017, 16:44

I hear you and its a fair point. However, given I stream the DM's perspective on twitch, real estate is a premium for me so I prefer to keep as many windows closed as possible.

JohnD
April 20th, 2017, 16:59
I put in things lkke the Alert feat, as a reminder.

Xorn
April 20th, 2017, 17:49
I have 4 monitors. 2 for my DM client, 1 for Rabb.it (video/voice) & OBS Studio (stream), and 1 for the player client I'm streaming.

#nopoors

Dracius
April 20th, 2017, 19:39
FG is definitely not friendly towards screen space.

For anyone who's not, make sure to use /scaleui so you can fit more on your screen, then pick up one of the 12 or 14pt font extensions floating around so that you can still read the chat window.

The Hawk and Sparrow
April 21st, 2017, 09:57

Great idea (special defenses line) and thanks! I am figuring out ways to integrate and track CP (control points) from Dungeon Grappling rules. Huzzah!