PDA

View Full Version : Players controlling combat tracker

BluHornet
April 19th, 2017, 21:49
I am doing a ruleset for a game system where the initative works differently than most. I need players to be able to alter their own initative value during gameplay. The system uses a seconds based system. I don't want the gm to have to alter the initative value everytime a player acts. I want the player to do this.

ddavison
April 19th, 2017, 21:55
It many of the systems, the players are allowed to roll their initiatives and tell when their turn is done. You can build this same sort of functionality into a custom combat tracker as well.

Trenloe
April 19th, 2017, 21:57
The easiest way might be to have an linked Initiative field from the PC sheet to the combat tracker, allowing the player to change the value on the PC sheet . I believe damned's excellent MoreCore ruleset does this (at least it used to, I haven't checked this specifically recently). If it still works the way it used to, the players can enter the initiative on their PC sheet and it will reflect in the combat tracker.

MoreCore ruleset here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset

damned
April 19th, 2017, 23:02
MoreCore still does this yes.

Nickademus
April 19th, 2017, 23:27
This would be nice for rulesets that have NPCs/traps that go on a specific initiative.

damned
April 19th, 2017, 23:33
This would be nice for rulesets that have NPCs/traps that go on a specific initiative.

In most cases the GM will be controlling NPCs/Traps so the GM should still be able to do this in the CT in most rulesets.
I suppose Manual Roll could probably also achieve a similar result?

LordEntrails
April 20th, 2017, 03:48
In most cases the GM will be controlling NPCs/Traps so the GM should still be able to do this in the CT in most rulesets.
I suppose Manual Roll could probably also achieve a similar result?
As a DM I just over-type the value in the CT for the trap before I make it visible. Don't know how else I might want to do it.

BluHornet
April 23rd, 2017, 00:57
I have looked into the MoreCore ruleset. I cannot figure out how he pulls it off. I am not the greatest at scripting for Fantasy Grounds. I just can't seem to find out how the Character sheet is connected to the combat tracker.

damned
April 23rd, 2017, 01:28
I have looked into the MoreCore ruleset. I cannot figure out how he pulls it off. I am not the greatest at scripting for Fantasy Grounds. I just can't seem to find out how the Character sheet is connected to the combat tracker.

Hi BluHornet Im not real great at this stuff either.
What you shoudl do is get a copy of notepad++ and unpack a copy of CoreRPG, MoreCore, and any other ruleset that has something you wish to steal.
You must remember that any time there is an FG update to these rulesets you must delete the unpacked ones and re-unpack the new ones.
Find something you do know - eg a Word or a graphic that is unique or nearly unique to the location/object/thing that you are trying to copy/understand.
Use Find in Files to find that word or that graphic filename.
It will be used in another definition, search on that one, and the next one. You will start to see that most things require 2 or 3 pieces of code/definition to make them work.

So in the case of MoreCore you will see that the 6 Combat fields are linked to the CT - Order is one of those. Part of the Order code is in CoreRPG and the linking bits are in MoreCore .
The Attacks strings are also imported to the CT and for NPCs I import the Rolls too.

BluHornet
April 23rd, 2017, 14:27
Found it thanks!