PDA

View Full Version : A response from AVG - False Alarm

ddavison
April 19th, 2017, 16:42
AVG recently reported a virus in the FantasyGrounds.exe file. We submitted this to AVG for an in-depth review and they have corrected this report with the latest update. Please see the response below.

Hello John,

Thank you for contacting AVG.

The detection of this file by AVG was incorrect, and we can confirm that the file is safe. The detection was removed in a recent AVG update.

Please make sure that your AVG is updated with the latest virus database:

Open AVG.
Click the button Update now, or Protection is up-to-date to check for updates.
In case the file was removed by AVG, it will be automatically restored after the update. Alternativelly, you can restore the file manually, as described in the article How to restore or remove file from the Virus Vault.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Petr Mik
AVG Customer Care

HoratioDrank
April 19th, 2017, 18:40
You got a Dear John letter from AVG? I'm so sorry. *hugs*

ddavison
April 19th, 2017, 19:27
You got a Dear John letter from AVG? I'm so sorry. *hugs*

He's pretty broken up about it.

Arion
April 20th, 2017, 09:53
Fantastic. I spent an hour and a half trying to remote support a player with this issue (i wasn't aware of what it was at that point) and another two and a half hours yesterday trying to get round it. Still didn't succeed, but i got a message at midnight last night that it now worked...

Jolvaris
April 25th, 2017, 10:54
Just turn off antivirus

deepdarksecret
May 4th, 2017, 13:28
AVG recently reported a virus in the FantasyGrounds.exe file. We submitted this to AVG for an in-depth review and they have corrected this report with the latest update. Please see the response below.

up to date and still getting the error here. Also I may have to reinstall FG as now the .exe is reporting I don't have authority to the file and even running as Admin not getting around the issue.

damned
May 4th, 2017, 13:41
You may need to whitelist the directory and then reinstall...

Moon Wizard
May 4th, 2017, 17:29
We did have a very minor update for limited XP support yesterday, so just in case, I resent the files to AVG again just now.

Regards,
JPG

Augray
May 5th, 2017, 02:21
I am also having this problem today. I updated AVG, but it did not fix it. I "removed it from the virus vault" but it still won't let me access the file.

damned
May 5th, 2017, 02:31
Hi Augray you may need to whitelist the directory and then reinstall...

leozelig
May 5th, 2017, 11:58
FYI, my game on 5/3 had connection problems until I disabled my antivirus app (Kaspersky). Everything was fine on 4/26.

jasoncascio
May 5th, 2017, 13:50
I am having the same issue since I updated a couple of days ago. I made sure this morning that AVG definitions were up to date, but the problem persists. I cannot run FG without completely disabling AVG.

damned
May 5th, 2017, 14:01
Its not an issue with your AVG being up to or not up to date.
AVG have flagged it as dangerous again because the file signature has changed.
I suggest you do whitelist the fantasy grounds program files directory.

Bilz
May 5th, 2017, 15:40
I had this issue as well. I added an exception on just the FantasyGrounds.exe file and not the entire directory, and I haven't seen the problem since.

Draven
May 6th, 2017, 00:50
Getting a msg from installer that says could not save file FantasyGrounds.exe. Try to add it to avg and tells me the syntax is wrong. Checked the file folder and there is no FantasyGrounds.exe anywhere. What to do? Want to see just how this thing works before I purchase anything, have been an avid D&D player since basic. Would REALLY!! like to try this. Get msg from windows saying can not find file C:\Program File (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGrounds.exe'. Error Code 1223. Anyone else get this msg? Well just tried to get it through steam and it stopped mid way through install with same msg error- HandleFile could not install Fantasygrounds.exe. is this just for the demo...because I really don't want to just say heck with the demo and just spend the 40 bucks for this if it still wont work.

damned
May 6th, 2017, 01:28
Getting a msg from installer that says could not save file FantasyGrounds.exe. Try to add it to avg and tells me the syntax is wrong. Checked the file folder and there is no FantasyGrounds.exe anywhere. What to do? Want to see just how this thing works before I purchase anything, have been an avid D&D player since basic. Would REALLY!! like to try this. Get msg from windows saying can not find file C:\Program File (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\FantasyGrounds.exe'. Error Code 1223. Anyone else get this msg?

Welcome Draven it seems that AVG has taken a dislike to the Fantasy Grounds executables in the last month.
It happens because the installer downloads and updates other executables and they are blocking the behaviour rather than the application.

You could try whitelisting the directory. You could try disabling the AV for 10mins while you install. Then start the AV and whitelist the directory.
Without running AVG myself Im not sure if there are other options you can try.

Draven
May 6th, 2017, 01:34
is whitelisting the same as exceptions?

damned
May 6th, 2017, 01:39
is whitelisting the same as exceptions?

yes it should be.

Draven
May 6th, 2017, 01:43
Brain fart on my part....saw the virus msg so put it in virus vault (fantasygrounds.exe) DUH. went into vault restored it, already in exceptions, avg recognized it, installed and loaded just fine. WOW what a fart!!!!!

Erin Righ
May 6th, 2017, 10:31
Hey man, happens to us all. To paraphrase a genius "Party On Draven" ;)

jasoncascio
May 6th, 2017, 15:21
Its not an issue with your AVG being up to or not up to date.
AVG have flagged it as dangerous again because the file signature has changed.
I suggest you do whitelist the fantasy grounds program files directory.

Thanks for the guidance...simple fix!