PDA

View Full Version : Connection test fails unless firewall is completely disabled

soundave
April 18th, 2017, 01:32
I've read through a number of threads and followed the excellent advice there about connection issues. I've isolated the problem so that the connection test succeeds with the firewall down. I've added FG as an exception to the firewall. No luck. I've added port 1802 as an exception. Still fails. Any advice? Getting very frustrated.

I'm running things on Windows 10 and am not very good at this stuff.

Thanks

Trenloe
April 18th, 2017, 02:11
Welcome to the forums soundave

Check what Windows report your network as - if it is Public, Windows Firewall will block FantasyGrounds.exe. Double check that your exception covers FantasyGrounds.exe and for your network type (Public or Private) to allow communication.

damned
April 18th, 2017, 02:13
Hola soundave

If disabling your firewall allows the connection test to work then it is indeed a configuration issue on the firewall.
What firewall are you talking about? Windows Firewall or Firewall on Router or some other software Firewall (like from your AV)?

Posting a screenshot might also help us get to the right answer quicker.

soundave
April 18th, 2017, 02:27
It's Windows firewall. Running webroot security, and was able to isolate the issue to turning on and off windows firewall. Screenshot of what? The firewall settings?

soundave
April 18th, 2017, 02:30
Set exceptions in both public and Private.

damned
April 18th, 2017, 02:59
Is your current connection - in network and sharing centre - set to Private or Public or something else?
What is the exact exception that you have set?
You might also try adding a Port/protocol rule to allow TCP 1802 from ANY network on any profile.

soundave
April 18th, 2017, 03:18
Current connection = public
Exceptions for: fantasygrounds, FantasyGroundsUpdater, Port 1802 Exception

So, as far as I can tell, I have already set up a rule to allow TCP 1802 from ANY network (ANY is in all the fields in the advanced firewall settings).
The exceptions for FG have UDP as the protocol...is that right?

damned
April 18th, 2017, 04:01
Change your connection to "Private" and it will probably work.
The first FantasyGrounds rule is also incorrect - it should be TCP - possibly the second one should be too but Im not 100% on that.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2017, 04:09
Yep, protocol needs to be TCP for all Fantasy Grounds communication.

Erin Righ
April 18th, 2017, 04:39
And your fantasygrounds profile is set to private without override so it wont work on a public connection, and you need to change UDP Protocol to TCP, also, is your IP static?

soundave
April 18th, 2017, 12:29
Sorry, I hadn't expanded the profile column for the screenshot! It's set to "private, public". Is that okay? Or does it need to be exclusively private? Changed protocol for fantasygrounds and FantasyGroundsUpdater to TCP. Do I need change the override?

Also, I think I have a static IP. If I'm to understand correctly, I looked to see if DHCP is enabled when I did an ipconfig from the command screen. It says: Ethernet adapter = no, wireless LAN connection 2= yes, wireless LAN WiFi = yes, Eythernet bluetooth = yes, tunnel adapter router= no, tunnel adapter LAN = No.

I changed protocol to TCP and still fails. Do I need to restart after changes?

Erin Righ
April 18th, 2017, 12:51
Actually, you have to change your network to private, are you on a public network or a home network?

soundave
April 18th, 2017, 12:54
I'm on my home network, so I assume private?

Changed to private and still fails

Erin Righ
April 18th, 2017, 13:04
Open your Network and Sharing Center (right click on your Wi-fi icon) and see if it says public or private

damned
April 18th, 2017, 13:05
If you are playing from home or other "safe" network change the network profile to Private.

damned
April 18th, 2017, 13:05
Send me a PM please.

soundave
April 18th, 2017, 13:06
Ah. Public.

Erin Righ
April 18th, 2017, 13:09
Thanks for jumping in on this damned, I don't know how to set the profile to private

damned
April 18th, 2017, 13:11
The best/easiest/fastest way is using powershell... if you dont know what powershell is then it may not be the best/easiest/fastest way...

Get-NetConnectionProfile
Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex <index number> -NetworkCategory Private

soundave
April 24th, 2017, 20:16
I thought I had replied to this a while ago! Not familiar with powershell, but I found it, and I found those commands. Just not sure what to do next...

soundave
May 5th, 2017, 03:07
I just wanted to update that damned was able to fix the issue for me! Thanks again!!

damned
May 5th, 2017, 07:35
Adapter was set to Public - changed to Private.
DHCP had allocated a new IP address to PC - set a static reservation.
Happy days.

chopkins779
March 4th, 2019, 22:09
Reviving a dead post because Im having a similar problem. When I set the computer to public...I have to turn off the public firewall, when I set the computer to private...I have to turn off the private firewall.

I checked my firewall settings and I am allowing it on both private and public under the correct port and TCP. The port forwarding is correct because I get a success if I turn off the computers firewall.

So it must be my firewall...but the rule says it allows it.

Trenloe
March 4th, 2019, 22:37
Reviving a dead post because Im having a similar problem. When I set the computer to public...I have to turn off the public firewall, when I set the computer to private...I have to turn off the private firewall.

I checked my firewall settings and I am allowing it on both private and public under the correct port and TCP. The port forwarding is correct because I get a success if I turn off the computers firewall.

So it must be my firewall...but the rule says it allows it.
Remove the rules and re-add them. Sometimes this works.

damned
March 4th, 2019, 22:38
What firewall are you referring to chopkins779?
Is this the windows firewall?
Antivirus firewall? What brand?
Router firewall?

If it is the windows one delete the rules for Fantasy Grounds. You probably have one that is blocking FG. As in actually blocking FG. You may have incorrectly answered a Windows prompt and it created the rules for you.
Go into Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> Advanced -> Inbound Rules
Delete the existing rules.
Create a new one.
Port
TCP, specific port 1802
Allow the connection
Tick all Domain, Private, Public
Name: FG1802, Desc: TCP 1802 for Fantasy Grounds

Retest.

chopkins779
March 4th, 2019, 22:48
Its the windows firewall. Let me try your suggestions.

chopkins779
March 4th, 2019, 22:51
Thanks Damned. It worked. No idea why the rule was blocking it.