PDA

View Full Version : One module to rule them all.

WansumBeats
April 17th, 2017, 23:39
So I'm just looking for some advice on the best way to go about doing this.

I would like to take the modules i have and condense them into one module. Now I am not looking to put ALL the material into a single module... BUT I would like to have edges, hindrances, items and gear, skills and powers ect ect.. the lore and the settings and plot points ect ect could stay in original book.

So I would like to be able to buy a new setting say like Fear Agent if it ever comes out.... Purchase it from Fantasy Grounds and then take the new Edges and Hindrances and Items ect ect and add them into my master database.

Im just not sure what the best way to go about this is... as it is right now i cant used enhanced library to export anything cause im getting errors.

and if i try to create everything say using items... i can access groups and categories. In items you can make 3 things. Weapons, Armor, Items. but you cant define further what an item is. Ie Hand Thrown Weapon ect.

Lastly i would like to do this because it would save me having to always the different manuals.

anyone have pointers on the best possible way to create a single database ingame i can add material to later?

Moon Wizard
April 17th, 2017, 23:45
That was the purpose of the v3.2.x redesign for the master campaign lists. You can open all the player modules for those settings, and all of the edges, hindrances, items and gear would be included in the master database. In most settings, there is a separate GM vs. player module for this reason.

Regards,
JPG

Topdecker
April 18th, 2017, 02:19
Wansum -

If you get yourself an XML editor (I am using XML Copy Editor - but have low hours on it and no opinion), you can copy and paste any of the stuff that isn't encrypted into a custom module. If you are like me, you are primarily interested in Edges, Hindrances, and Skills and I've hacked in a few of each just to prove that I can do it. (Honestly, I just replaced text as a test, but it worked well enough that I am fairly confident that I can add those types of records in bulk).

MOD files are just zip files. Copy them someplace away from the ones you want to use, rename it, and poke around in the XML (client.xml, usually).

Now, the reason that I was looking at it was because I was going to bring in an unsupported setting. You would have the advantage of being able to just copy and paste large tracts of the XML files as you composed your uber listing.

WansumBeats
April 18th, 2017, 03:06
Hence the reason i wanted to do this... So sundays game.. i found two NPCS the guardian angel and ROOSTER someone, neither of them has GUNS to shoot my players... if i had the ability to remake these guys... i would like to do it inside a module or beastiary... but i think i would have to seperate deadlands from regular...

The other reason to do it this way is, for example, its really hard to find stuff in the core book.. if i could take the stuff from the core book and re organize it my way i would have a better understanding and easier time finding stuff.. PLUS i would get the added bonus of adding edges and hindrances links inside my own monsters with images...

im not explaining it properly im sure.. but there are advantages to organizing collectively.. also i see what 3.2 did and its amazing and its what inspired me to try this out.

part of the problem is that everything is locked up willy.... i cant just drag a gun onto a screwed up npc and away we go... i had to tell everyone to take 5 while i REMADE the npc in the campaign with a gun.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2017, 03:11
part of the problem is that everything is locked up willy.... i cant just drag a gun onto a screwed up npc and away we go... i had to tell everyone to take 5 while i REMADE the npc in the campaign with a gun.
Make a copy of any record that is locked (including this NPC) by dragging/dropping within the campaign data list where it came from. This will make a copy of the record (the copy you've just made won't have the module book icon after it - this is how you know it's the new copy) and you can edit it then - drag guns onto it, etc..

Topdecker
April 18th, 2017, 03:13
I am pretty sure that you can drag the dude from whence he came into your NPCs. Once there, it is an unlocked complete copy - then you modify the copy and use it. I do this all the time to make custom versions of various critters.

EDIT: Seeing Trenloe's post above, I am now more that 'pretty sure.' :bandit:

goodmanje
April 26th, 2017, 19:59
I started doing something like this for Hellfrost. I have both of the Rassilon expansions which contain a ton of new Hindrances and Edges. I started manually entering them in groups called Rassilon so I have all of them available when creating characters. Not sure if I can export them into a module though that would be ideal....