PDA

View Full Version : Not a valid Win32 application

Maspalio
April 17th, 2017, 21:59
Hello,

I had troubles with the previous update, but i could deal with it. Today, i tried to update to the current release. It seemed to be good, but now i just can't launch FG. It says Not a valid Win32 application...

How can i use / reinstall / repair my Fantasy Ground application ?

Many thanks.

Zacchaeus
April 17th, 2017, 22:07
Are you using AVG?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?37783-FG-3-3-0-update-AVG-reports-infected-FG-exe

Maspalio
April 17th, 2017, 22:16
Not that i know of. I'm pretty sure that i don't

Trenloe
April 17th, 2017, 22:27
Try reinstalling from here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGWebInstall.exe

Erin Righ
April 18th, 2017, 12:18
Hey Maspalio, what anti-virus do you use?

Maspalio
April 18th, 2017, 17:13
Try reinstalling from here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGWebInstall.exe

I just reinstalled. Thought it did the trick, but at the end of install, the launcher can't restart FG. Error 193. I had this error for a long time but could launch the programm. Since the last patch, it'i absolutely broken and do'nt even want to run the programm : "not a valid Win32 application".

And i don't have AVG installed.

Here is the error window i get at the end of update : 18601

Moon Wizard
April 18th, 2017, 17:29
This usually means that the FantasyGrounds.exe executable has been quarantined by some security software. This can happen from time to time as a false positive in some security software, because the FG software is self-updating.

You will need to determine if your virus protection software (whether AVG or otherwise) has quarantined the executable, and add an exception. Please provide any details on which security software you are using, and the details of the warning message, so I can submit to the security company.

Thanks,
JPG

daggerfortysix
April 19th, 2017, 02:03
I have an older Dell laptop with Windows XP that I use to connect to my games (for various reasons). There is NO antivirus software on it at all. Either way, this new 3.3.0 will not run. I get the "... not a valid Win32 application" every time. For some reason the uninstall tool refuses to uninstall Fantasy Grounds. On a fresh install it also throws out an error 193. It is NOT an AVG issue and I did use the link listed above. Something is definitely different about 3.3.0.

Mortar
April 19th, 2017, 03:29
In your case it might be an issue with XP. I have FG on 3 different computers, and they all updated with no issues. One of them is running in test mode while I rebuild my Rome theme.

Moon Wizard
April 19th, 2017, 03:30
Hmm, we were forced to upgrade our dev tools on the last round. Based on what you are seeing, I did some research, and the MS development tools no longer build for Windows XP at this point. Given that Windows XP is 16 years old, I think we may have to increase the requirements.

Regards,
JPG

daggerfortysix
April 19th, 2017, 03:31
You know I'm going to use the "but honey, all of my friends said I need a new laptop" excuse today....

Moon Wizard
April 19th, 2017, 05:58
OK, after some digging into some backwards compatibility and a lot of trial and error, I *may* have got it working on Windows XP again. I don't have a Windows XP machine to test with though.

Can someone with Windows XP change to "Dev" mode in the Settings, update, and see if they can run on Windows XP for now?

Note: Given this, I am working on a new updater which will definitely not work with Windows XP, so this may be the last version to support XP.

Regards,
JPG

daggerfortysix
April 19th, 2017, 06:18
Thanks for working on this. It DID NOT, create a fix. I'm still getting the Win32 error.

damned
April 19th, 2017, 06:25
Thanks for working on this. It DID NOT, create a fix. I'm still getting the Win32 error.

Can you confirm you re-ran the updater after switching to DEV mode?

daggerfortysix
April 19th, 2017, 06:26
Yes. I did the rerun of the updater.

daggerfortysix
April 19th, 2017, 06:29
It did show that it updated FantasyGrounds.exe

Moon Wizard
April 19th, 2017, 07:20
What is the exact version you are running?

Try running the updater, set the debug option, take a look at the update.log file in the FG data directory. (from your Settings) It should contain your OS version info.

The only thing I can think of is that the current version I have requires the latest XP service pack/version, and maybe your laptop was not on the latest version they released. Otherwise, I'll have to research more to see if there are any gotchas.

Thanks,
JPG

Holy_Rage
April 19th, 2017, 13:17
I got Windows XP on a very old desktop of mine. I had the exact same issue as the OP. After running the updater in Dev mode right now, just as Moon Wizard suggested, I am confirming that the problem is solved and that FG v3.3.0 runs as smoothly as an elven arse (thank you Baldur's Gate)!

Tineren
April 19th, 2017, 13:58
Dev mode did not fix the issue for me. The log shows

PROGRAM INFORMATION
OS Major = 5
OS Minor = 1
OS Build = 2600
OS SP = Service Pack 3
That said, since I was fairly certain that the problem was XP, I already ordered a new computer (since my wife is my GM, I didn't have to convince her, it was more like she told me I had to).

Holy_Rage
April 19th, 2017, 15:36
I got Windows XP on a very old desktop of mine. I had the exact same issue as the OP. After running the updater in Dev mode right now, just as Moon Wizard suggested, I am confirming that the problem is solved and that FG v3.3.0 runs as smoothly as an elven arse (thank you Baldur's Gate)!

In case the OS is of any importance, the desktop is running Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

Maspalio
April 19th, 2017, 16:31
And this is my issue. I run windows XP. How can i step back to 3.2.2 ? I'd rather continue to play with a less accurate version of Fantasy Grounds that no version at all....

Mortar
April 19th, 2017, 16:38
There isn't a way to step back. Every time you purchase new content through Steam or the FG store the only way to access that content is to update.

daggerfortysix
April 19th, 2017, 16:41
Here is my log as well. DEV mode did not work here either.

PROGRAM INFORMATION
OS Major = 5
OS Minor = 1
OS Build = 2600
OS SP = Service Pack 3

I think its best to upgrade on my end as well. No sense of you guys wasting time on this and then have to revisit it on 3.3.1

Nylanfs
April 19th, 2017, 17:08
<nip> that FG v3.3.0 runs as smoothly as an elven arse (thank you Baldur's Gate)!

BTW, GOG has BG that runs perfectly fine on Windows 10. Plus all the gold box series.

https://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_enhanced_edition

damned
April 19th, 2017, 23:14
And this is my issue. I run windows XP. How can i step back to 3.2.2 ? I'd rather continue to play with a less accurate version of Fantasy Grounds that no version at all....

Can you switch to DEV mode and run the updater.
Then post your results and your OS version and service pack.

3.2.x cannot connect/host with/for 3.3.x so somewhere very soon you will be forced to make a decision...

Moon Wizard
April 20th, 2017, 00:01
Can you please try again? I just tried another build to see if that helps...

Also, we have updated our system requirements to Windows 7 both on the web site and on Steam.

Regards,
JPG

Tineren
April 20th, 2017, 02:23
Can you please try again? I just tried another build to see if that helps...

Also, we have updated our system requirements to Windows 7 both on the web site and on Steam.

Regards,
JPG
This one works for me :).