PDA

View Full Version : Battlemaps vs. Exploration Maps; Tracking Progress

bigbluepaw
April 17th, 2017, 20:10
Hey folks! Wanted to get the community's wisdom on another topic.

Most of the campaign I run is 'mapless.' That means I describe it evocatively, relying on the player's imagination to build something cool in their heads. When we do have combat, I use a very constrained battlemap like the following.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f8/61/3b/f8613b918e9e9b116888428f2bb397f5.jpg

However, I do think the concept of exploring a large scale map like this...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b4/89/45/b48945e11f370c26acbb7c4ce0b20c83.jpg

... is super cool as well. I think it gives the game that old school dungeon crawl-ey feel. But at times, you need to have the player's characters stop in certain locations for traps or monsters or whatnot.

So here are my questions.

How much do you rely on exploration maps (large) vs. battlemaps (small)?
How do you track and control character movement on the larger map? Lock the tokens? Let them roam free? Just communicate verbally?

Let me know your thoughts!

Zacchaeus
April 17th, 2017, 20:37
1) For me every map is a battlemap. There are no exploration maps, except maybe something like the Sword Coast Map in SKT or similar.
2) Lock the tokens.

Griogre
April 17th, 2017, 20:56
I'm like Zacchaeus - every map is a battermap but large scale overland maps. Doing separate battle-maps per encounter in a dungeon/cave environment is more work than it's worth, IMO. Overland encounters are different since they are not usually next to each other.

I don't personally bother to lock tokens myself - but it is an option. Remember that if you are using a mask there is no auto unmasking so it doesn't matter where their tokens are. Just have your guys set up a standard order and you can narrate the exploration verbally or unmask the map but don't feel constrained to keep unmasking every 5 feet of movement.

LordEntrails
April 17th, 2017, 21:24
I often use both.

So, on something like PotA, I mask most of the Dessarin Valley map and as they explore it I unmask it. No tokens are used, only verbal description though sometimes I use pointers (this is to your ? #2). But, I'm also big on battle maps and tactical positioning, so 99.99% of every combat has a map used (even if only a grid I draw very crudely on). (Note, a token from the CT can only be on one map at a time, so use a non-CT linked token for the party if you are tracking them on the large/overview/region map).

On a mega dungeon crawl (i.e. Undermountain) I have a large map, but I never show the players it. They have to map it themselves. And then each room/area/combat has a unique map for it.

Talyn
April 17th, 2017, 21:35
I haven't done this yet, but I've considered looking into a way to use a single token to represent the entire party (assuming they don't split) on an exploration map then for the battles bring the whole party's tokens onto that map. Kinda like the old JRPGs where you steered your character around but he represented the whole party until the battle music startled the crap out of you and loaded into the battle screen. I dunno how much of a pain that would be but a single icon sounds more efficient than 6.

LordEntrails
April 17th, 2017, 21:38
I haven't done this yet, but I've considered looking into a way to use a single token to represent the entire party (assuming they don't split) on an exploration map then for the battles bring the whole party's tokens onto that map. Kinda like the old JRPGs where you steered your character around but he represented the whole party until the battle music startled the crap out of you and loaded into the battle screen. I dunno how much of a pain that would be but a single icon sounds more efficient than 6.
It's easy to do. You just have to remember their is no linking. It's just a visual indicator. If the party all belong to one faction (i.e. Harpers, Lord's Allinace, etc) then you can just make a token with their symbol on it. Add the token to your campaign tokens and then drag it onto the map. Or you can find any other token you like (a sword, group portrait, etc) and use it.

Nickademus
April 17th, 2017, 22:23

I do this. It's made even easier if you have the party set their marching order in the Party Sheet. Then you can place their tokens in the associated order when you need combat.

damned
April 18th, 2017, 03:02
I use both styles of maps but also sometimes just do TotM and often just use a picture as the battle map. You can try different things and see what your players and you like the most.

Mavrik6666
April 18th, 2017, 11:27
Same - it depend on the type of adventure.. large maps if good enough quality allow for wide scale, and close up encounters, sometimes TotM stuff with a close up battle map works... I like to mix it up, thats often the things your players will like.

Not letting them worry about mapping for an adventure or two, then making them map, and worry adds an extra dimension .. its all bout keeping them on there toes :)

ravenloft713
April 18th, 2017, 13:21

I made a token with the text 'PCs', and another 'NPCs' for times like that. PCs is a given, like when they are in town where I share the town map and then place the PCs token onto it. For members which separate from the group, I add their one token as needed. When I'm done, I'll leave the tokens where they were when I close the map, or maybe pick them up and set them into a corner of the map in a jumble so it's easier the next time they visit the same town. NPCs is the same concept except for when the group of NPCs which temporary joined the party splits and the party may still need extensive interaction.

In short, I get most done with two bulk tokens and only use additional tokens as needed. Though in combat, it's a full cluster of tokens and a zoomed in map.

ravenloft713
April 18th, 2017, 13:23
You could also just the preinstalled letter tokens instead of making your own. 'P' for Party or PCs, 'N' for NPCs, 'T' for those guys, 'H' for Harpers...