PDA

View Full Version : All players get tremendous, unplayable lag after opening modules

radgh
April 15th, 2017, 19:50
Playing a 5e campaign which we've been doing for awhile. A few months ago we were dealing with magic items from the DMG. For players who load the DMG module, a few minutes later fantasy grounds would lag.

The symptoms is exactly the same for everyone:

1. Load the DMG
2. Wait 2-5 minutes
3. Suddenly out of the blue, the game freezes for a few seconds. There's a momentary single frame where it seems to catch up, and immediately locks up again.
4. This behavior repeats until you close the game and delete the cache file, or unload the module(s) and restart the software. The second option can be difficult during the lag.

Today we had a session and updated to FG Version 3.3. Now it seems this same behavior happens when opening the player's handbook.

The temporary solution is to not use the books except when levelling. But obviously, for software I've paid 100's of dollars for, this is a serious issue.

Is this a known bug? Are there any fixes or suggestions? We're just using the DMG, PHB, and sword coast book for 5e.

LordEntrails
April 15th, 2017, 20:03
Players are not supposed to load the DMG. FG's current architecture does not support the DMG being shared to the players.

You can share the individual magic items or tables etc, but the DMG has too much content for the player clients to be able to handle.

LordEntrails
April 15th, 2017, 20:05
Oh, and welcome to FG and the community! Can't believe I forgot that :)

The PHB should be fine to share, and the players part of the SCAG (I think it has a second player focused module right?)

Zacchaeus
April 15th, 2017, 20:18
As LordEntrails points out don't share the DMG.

If you want your players to have magic items then put them in a parcel for them to find (just like the ones in the module you are playing). If you don't like the magic items that are already in the module you can swap them out for something else (delete the item in the parcel and drag in a new one from the DMG).

radgh
April 15th, 2017, 20:56
Ok, we used it to browse the magic items.

But I guess that doesn't solve the problem, loading just the players handbook causing the lag issue now. From my original post: "Now it seems this same behavior happens when opening the player's handbook"

Haven't touched the DMG today, that was just where the problem originated. Maybe it's related to the DMG still being available as a module, even though it's not enabled on the player's clients?

LordEntrails
April 15th, 2017, 21:00
Your players will have to clear their player cache again and you will need to unshare the DMG (make it a red x). Once that is done let us know.

Moon Wizard
April 15th, 2017, 21:34
The cache file format has changed. This means that the players have to redownload any modules that you shared. This happens in the background which creates the lag. It will resolve over time, or you can have them log in several minutes early to let it finish. Also, you want to disable the DMG for full sharing, as it is a large set of files.

Regards,
JPG