PDA

View Full Version : Effects question

Varsuuk
April 15th, 2017, 06:11
I am interested in seeing if I can create an extension to handle feats like "reroll damage, take highest - once per turn".

Now, currently, are there already any effects (yes, I have only played a Fighter) that do not run out BUT only work one time per round as it were? If there are, I can look at that as a template for defining a new effect. Assuming effect is the way to go with that.

Moon Wizard
April 15th, 2017, 06:49
There are two fields that affect when an effect expires in the 3.5E, 4E and 5E rulesets. They're called "duration" and "apply".

For duration, the duration value and init value determine when an effect expires. When the initiative value is reached/passed during turn advancement, the duration is decremented by 1. If the duration was positive and reduced to zero, then the effect expires and is removed. If the duration is zero when applied, the effect never expires based on duration.

For apply, there are four options that control whether an effect is expired when it is applied. They are: None, Action, Roll, Single
* None = Does not expire on application
* Action = Expires after the next set of rolls during which at least one part of the effect is used. (i.e. multi-attack, etc.)
* Roll = Expires after the next roll during which at least one part of the effect is used. (i.e. single attack, single damage, etc.)
* Single = Each clause in the effect is treated just like the "roll" application above. As each clause in the effect is used, it is removed from the effect. If all clauses are removed, then the effect is removed.

The single application isn't used much outside of 4E, but I kept it around since it was already written.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
JPG