PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ruleset v 3.3.0

swbuza
April 14th, 2017, 21:00
For purposes of module creation, can someone explain the details about the four abilities categories (Feats, Class Abilities, Proficiencies, Racial Traits)? How should these be categorized in a module so that they land in the right box on the character sheet when dragged and dropped?

Can you provide an example?

Moon Wizard
April 14th, 2017, 21:49
Responded in the v3.3.0 Issues thread as well.

On the racial traits, class abilities, feats and proficiencies, I just checked these for someone else earlier, and they appear to be working. Class Abilities and Racial Traits will only be placed in the correct lists when added from a class or race record (either using drag and drop of class record to level up, or by dragging from the class/race record onto the PC abilities tab). Proficiencies specifically look for a class ability named "Weapon and Armor Proficiency" using the same wording as the official OGL material. Feats should be able to be added by dragging and dropping from the feat records. Note, the official class and race record data with abilities/traits built-in won't be available until the official Paizo material is released.

If you are asking for creating data through XML, the correct window classes to use are "referenceclass", "referenceclassability", "referencerace", "referenceracialtrait", and "referencefeat".

Regards,
JPG

swbuza
April 14th, 2017, 22:17
Responded in the v3.3.0 Issues thread as well.

On the racial traits, class abilities, feats and proficiencies, I just checked these for someone else earlier, and they appear to be working. Class Abilities and Racial Traits will only be placed in the correct lists when added from a class or race record (either using drag and drop of class record to level up, or by dragging from the class/race record onto the PC abilities tab). Proficiencies specifically look for a class ability named "Weapon and Armor Proficiency" using the same wording as the official OGL material. Feats should be able to be added by dragging and dropping from the feat records. Note, the official class and race record data with abilities/traits built-in won't be available until the official Paizo material is released.

If you are asking for creating data through XML, the correct window classes to use are "referenceclass", "referenceclassability", "referencerace", "referenceracialtrait", and "referencefeat".

Regards,
JPG

JPG -- Excellent, thank you.

Talyn
April 14th, 2017, 22:50
Proficiencies specifically look for a class ability named "Weapon and Armor Proficiency" using the same wording as the official OGL material. Feats should be able to be added by dragging and dropping from the feat records. Note, the official class and race record data with abilities/traits built-in won't be available until the official Paizo material is released.

Is that implying that once the Paizo content is out, there will be <feats> or <traits> whatever embedded within the character XML like 5E does or is it going to continue parsing text?

Moon Wizard
April 14th, 2017, 23:08
The character XML should already include XML for those lists. ("featlist", "specialabilitylist", "proficiencylist", "traitlist")
When data is added to one of these lists, all the text will be copied to that character, so it can be customized for each character.

Regards,
JPG

Talyn
April 14th, 2017, 23:12
Err... I meant in the class data files, not the resulting character file. My bad, wrong terminology.

Right now that's just formatted text, at least in the Basic Rules module. Whereas in 5E, I would embed that in the XML for that class.

Moon Wizard
April 14th, 2017, 23:17
Try creating a new class/race record and adding some abilities/traits to those records, then you can see how the data is built in the campaign XML file.

Regards,
JPG

Talyn
April 14th, 2017, 23:19
Yeah, I did that part, I was just trying to figure out where it was coming from in the source SRD files because I never saw that data actually embedded within the class data there. I'll need to know because I've got a third-party PFRPG project in my queue down the road. Not anything critical right now, just trying to forearm myself with information. :)

Moon Wizard
April 14th, 2017, 23:22
The OGL data currently provided with FG does not contain any of the information. We are waiting on Paizo product release for the official data.

Regards,
JPG

Talyn
April 14th, 2017, 23:24
Yep, that's what I was asking: if once that content is available, will FG continue parsing for the OGL terminology or will the data be embedded? It sounds like embedded? If so, that's awesome and hopefully I'll be able to learn the new data out of the SRD...

Moon Wizard
April 15th, 2017, 00:11
As of the moment, I believe the data is embedded with the exception of the Weapon and Armor Proficiency class ability, which is parsed.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
April 15th, 2017, 00:12
Maybe I don't understand fully, but I believe it was stated: both. The data won't technically be embedded in the ruleset as it will be in the official modules, but even FG doesn't find an official module that has the desired link it will do what is currently does. Moon said during the announcement of the Paizo licence that all the old OGL modules would still be usable.

Moon Wizard
April 15th, 2017, 00:16
Correct, the data is not embedded in the ruleset. It will be embedded in the data modules. I was just explaining that there is still some parsing that happens for certain abilities.

Regards,
JPG

Blackfoot
April 16th, 2017, 17:02
What purpose do the Skill Ranks Total and Used serve? They don't seem to have any mechanical function and I can't figure out their purpose as a reference. Is this supposed to represent skill points per level or something? The Used field doesn't seem to be connected in any way to the Skills Tab.. I'm at a loss.

Moon Wizard
April 17th, 2017, 00:32
That is correct. The per-class skill tracking has not been handled past having fields to track the data in. The Total field will be increased as you level up, but the Used field will have to be filled out for now.

Sometime down the road, we will look at updating the skills tab to support per-class skill point and class skill tracking. It's actually a fair bit of work, which was why it wasn't built yet.

Regards,
JPG

Blackfoot
April 17th, 2017, 00:42
This is one of those situations where I'm skeptical that it's worth it. Seems like it's going to be a nightmare to have it actually work correctly. :)

Moon Wizard
April 17th, 2017, 01:00
Exactly. There were much bigger features to add for Pathfinder in v3.3.0 that made more sense. In fact, the per-class skill fields and desire to track only arise from using the new enhancements anyways. ;)

Regards,
JPG

swbuza
April 17th, 2017, 01:32
With regard to Class Features, the numbered box is (presumably) an indicator of the level when that particular Class Feature is earned. I would assume this only works if you properly drag the class onto the character sheet each time you level.

Question 1: For class features that exist for all members of that class, do you simply set this to a 1?
Question 2: What does the default value of '0' do in that box? Is this appropriate to use for Class Features that are selected like Barbarian Rage Powers?
Question 3: Class Skills is a free form textbox above Features. Is this parsed using the standard OGL formatting similar to 'Weapon and Armor Proficiency'?

Blackfoot
April 17th, 2017, 01:37
Uhh.. what are you talking about? Which Tab is this on?
I don't see anything about 'Class Features' or any numbered field associated with it. Hrm.

swbuza
April 17th, 2017, 01:45

swbuza
April 17th, 2017, 01:50
It is in the "Other" tab of a character class sheet and is clearly used by the ruleset.

swbuza
April 17th, 2017, 01:52
I took JPG's advice and am entering Races and Classes (complete with all text) and I think I have them functioning. I've completed the Core Rulebook races and almost done the classes. Was just working on Ranger.

ddavison
April 17th, 2017, 02:11
With regard to Class Features, the numbered box is (presumably) an indicator of the level when that particular Class Feature is earned. I would assume this only works if you properly drag the class onto the character sheet each time you level.

Question 1: For class features that exist for all members of that class, do you simply set this to a 1?
Question 2: What does the default value of '0' do in that box? Is this appropriate to use for Class Features that are selected like Barbarian Rage Powers?
Question 3: Class Skills is a free form textbox above Features. Is this parsed using the standard OGL formatting similar to 'Weapon and Armor Proficiency'?

We did optional or selectable abilities a little differently since it didn't make sense for us to list every single cleric domain, bloodline + power, rage power, etc. in the class level ability list. We have those set up as special abilities you can drag over separately and just have a basic option like "Barbarian Rage Power" as the class ability. Hopefully we will be able to release soon so we can just show you what it all looks like.

swbuza
April 17th, 2017, 02:25
We did optional or selectable abilities a little differently since it didn't make sense for us to list every single cleric domain, bloodline + power, rage power, etc. in the class level ability list.

Like this, you mean? :) I've only got three classes left to add.

ddavison
April 17th, 2017, 02:28

Yep. We decided not to add those in because it will clutter the character sheet with every one of those domains when you use the drag and drop character creation and leveling and then the player has to delete all the excess ones.

swbuza
April 17th, 2017, 02:32
Interesting. I'd really rather have yours to work with; but then, it's probably going to be encrypted, right (or will just the ruleset be encrypted and not the data modules?). In any case, the reason why I was asking about a zero value is it doesn't appear to land on the character sheet when the class is dragged to it. So then it seemed to make sense to me to set them all to zeros so you can manually add them to the character sheet when the player selects them.

Moon Wizard
April 17th, 2017, 02:48

1. Yes, if you set to class ability level field to 1, then this data will be added when the first level is added to the PC.
2. Any value less than 1, including zero, will never be added automatically. As Doug mentioned, we do not store the extra abilities there in our version, but just include them in the class text as links.
3. Yes. (Ex: (Barbarian) = "Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str)"

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
April 17th, 2017, 03:41
Yep. We decided not to add those in because it will clutter the character sheet with every one of those domains when you use the drag and drop character creation and leveling and then the player has to delete all the excess ones.

This was addressed in the Unearthed Arcana thread. If you set the level of the subfeature (or subability, ability choice, etc.) to zero, it would add to the character sheet when drag-and-drop leveling. Then you can link the subabilities in the main ability where the player can drag which choice they choose to their ability section.

Not the tidiest of designs, but there are no tidy designs with the architecture you are using. At least this way players don't have to do as much typing.

Callum
August 12th, 2017, 18:42

Did you finish this, swbuza? If so, would you be prepared to share the module with the community? Presumably all the content is from the SRD, and thus okay to share?

swbuza
August 12th, 2017, 19:15
I did not. I worked through some of it, but in the end, I simply bought the Pathfinder Core Rules. Smiteworks has done a fabulous job with it, and I didn't feel the need to replicate it.

Talyn
August 20th, 2017, 22:18
Oh, a few days late, but congrats @Trenloe for Bestiary 2 in the store!

Xtee
October 26th, 2017, 03:12
How does one best incorporate the unchained classes in? I can't seem to buy an official mod any where.

Talyn
October 27th, 2017, 16:10
How does one best incorporate the unchained classes in? I can't seem to buy an official mod any where.

I think there's a community OGL module in the forum somewhere you can use just fine. The official one will be out whenever it's out. There are only so many DLC Developers and only a few who have been authorized to work on official Paizo material. :) These big products can take a couple months to create, then go through the QA and Certification process.