The Cast:
Bertrand Hum Ftr 5
Ilordas Elf Ftr 4
Delphion Hum Clr 5 of Pelor
Jynx Hum Rog 5
Trageon Hum Wiz/Evo 5
Burious Hum Mnk 5

Session 26

Started off in the room south of the pillars in the moathouse. The players were resting, as they were fresh out of spells. Unfortunately, being 2 hours after dawn, they pretty much had to rest almost 24 hours. They stuck to it though.

Jynx had contracted a fever from an undead's viscious bite, and it was starting to show. He had the chills, sweats and the bite marks were resistant to healing.

A scream pierced out through the night. It sounded like someone was torturing the hell out of him.

Then the players heard shouting in some weird gutteral language, then after all was quiet in the moathouse.... too quiet.

The players rested, and a couple of spells later, Jynx was cured by Delphion.

The party trudged off to the room with the pillar secret door, and after some searching, the elf finally notices it.

After arguing for a minute or two on the order of marching, the party plunges into the passage, entering the crypt.

The party enters into a chamber and are suprised by pale undead that vaguely resemble the humans they once were.

A short but sweet battle ensued, a few magic missles from the evoker, and all is quiet again.

Then they discovered the warrens clawed out from the rock, presumably from the insane undead creatures.

They trudged their way through the caverns, and came finally to a caved in pocket with a dead corpse on the other end. They shoot an arrow into the leg of the corpse, and It tore the leg off of it like a rotten chicken carcass.

A swarm of flies erupted from the corpse and enveloped the Elf.

Moving along, the players were getting confused with the passage ways, until they started to feel a chill. They followed the passage until it opened up into the shrine.

[This is where the session really shone.]

The first thing the players did was ohhh.... ahhhh.... then the Jynx goes to search the altar for traps, as the party is examining the statue/pillar.

Jynx touched the altar as he was searching for traps, so the altar turned translucent amethyst with the black blob swimming in the middle of it.

Bertrand, the party's chief fighter has a sentient axe. (A variant rule that I am playtesting right now.... about a sentient magic item that is treated like an NPC/Cohort) The main charge of the axe is to destroy the cult...
As soon as the altar started to act up, the axe went nuts... and the party had to restrain Bert from smashing the altar.

Delphion channeled positive spirit into the altar, and Ilordas fired his bow into it. All made their saves.

Meanwhile, Jynx is taking 20 searching the pillar/statue. He finds the chimes first, and rings them. The altar hummed and glowed... with the mass swimming angrily at this.
He searched and found the other items (drum/incense and black bead)... and the altar seemed to get angrier. The party deduced that playing the instruments will allow them to get at the blob in the center of the altar to kill it.

Delphion lit the incense and beat a hymn to Pelor on the drum, and the altar came to life.

An orange Eye appeared at the top of the altar and bathed the room with light. The eye appeared to look for something, then seemed to make a decision, and spoke to the party telepathically.

Bertrand - "[I]Infidel! You dare defile my shrine! I will take what you value most! Your Strength!" -3 Str

Ilordas - "Your kind will not stop me! You have may years to live, you can spare a few!" 2 negative levels.

Delphion (Made his save) "Your puny god is no match for my power! I will crush him under my bootheel first, once I am free!"

Jynx - "You know not what you tamper with! See a glimpse of what eternity you will face!" - Permanent insanity

Trageon - "Your puny spells are no match for my might! But your power... tastes soooo good!" 2 negative levels

Burious - "Do not think your purity of soul protects you. You are a strong warrior! But no more!" -4 Str

After that, the eye winked out of existance, and the altar returned to normal. We left the session off at this.

Session 27:Synopsis:

After catching up with Jynx and tying his insane butt up, the party
engaged in a little banter with Jynx. There was several things said,
mostly just ramblings from Jynx.

One thing though that seemed to pique the interest of the party was
"the mines..." and "the test for Champion".

The party spent about 4 hours making their way through the dug up
tunnels, until they came back to where they had started their foray
into the caves. There they met up with a fighter and a palidan of
Pelor, named Jarret and Prometheous repsectively.

Some exploration was in order, and the southeast exit was explored.
The party made their way through a twisted passage to a T
intersection, and found to the left, the passage continued. To the
right, stairs leading down. Curiously, there was a pile of bones and
bits of armor on the middle of the steps. Bert and Del went to
investigate, and then the bones stirred to life.

An unholy skull floated up and stared balefully at the party as the
bones, weapons and armors spin in a whirlwind like attack. Jarret was
the first to act, and quickly engaged the unholy undead creature.

The attacks on the creature seemed to be reduced in effect, probably
from the bits of armor and weapons spinning around.

Jarret was victim to the slam attack of this viscious creature, and if
he hadn't raged, he would be dead. The party had their challenges
dealing with this tough creature, that seemed to resist their attacks,
but in the end, Bert laid it out with the Axe of the Clan Leader.

All in all, a good encounter! We left off with Prometheous examining
the remains of the creature.

Thank you all for the great game!

Session 28:Synopsys:
A good game, with a lot of drama.
The party made thier way north of the staircase after the encounter with the whirlwind undead, and came to the T intersection. (The one leading to the secret passage out.)

They continued north to the clerics rooms and found that they had been emptied. The party was curious, so they explored Garriks room, and found the black cloak with the flaming eye. As of this time, the party has no idea what the symbol means, so they saved it for later identification, possibly in Hommlet.

As the party continued though the various passages in the moathouse, they were struck with the fact that the place seemed abandoned. Strangley, everything was quiet, They even made it to the room with three doors, and after opening the middle door, assumed the porcullis trap they encountered before had been sprung.

Back at the intersection, the party continued its way to the end of the corridor. Upon examination, the stonework had seemed different there, but the party could not find any secret doors, so they moved to the staircase once again.

Going down the staircase, the group could feel the air growing chilly, and the smell of death was strong there. A chamber with a pool and some sort of pulley apparatus sported the remains of a cult member who had been slain by a spear strike in the back, and burned badly by some sort of spell. As luck would have it... the cult member still had thier backpack and belongings on him.

Inside was found two potions, two scrolls and a sheaf of papers. The papers turned out to be a journal that summarized some of the goings on in the Moathouse. The two scrolls were stoneshape and animal messanger. The two potions were of a curing type, and water breathing.

The party looked at the pool in the chamber and discovered that there seemed to be a draining in the bottom of the pool, and further investigation revealed that there was some sort of stone "plug" in place holding the water here. Curiously enough, the wooden platform attached to the pulley system seemed to be directly over the water.

After some discussion, it was agreed that the plug could be removed. Using the water breathing potions and the stoneshape scroll, the party managed to break the seal and found a cavern underneath this chamber.

Next the quandry was what to do about Jynx, struck insane by the altar some time ago. It was decided to leave him tied up safely? in a room in the chambers to the north.

The party came back and descened into the cavern below. The cold was almost too much to take. They lowered themselves down on some sort of purple marble foor with writhing veins, and were just deciding to check out the other platform to the left. They were then surprised by a tentacled horror with a head shaped like a massive brain.

Delphion was immidiately paralyzed and grappled, and the rest of the party had their hands full with this encounter.

Trageon had a difficult time casting his spells due to the reach of the tentacled monster, and was eventually paralyzed and constricted. Bert made some headway, after Vorn bestowed him a powerful rage, but eventually succumbed to the paralyzing attacks of the Horrible Monster.

Del finally woke up and broke free, and an epic battle took place. The Horror verses the Hand of Pelor. (Both sides rolled terribly, 1's were flying left right and center!) Finally Delphion Critically wounded the abomination, and sent it over the side of the floor.

Unforunately, Bertrand did not make it through this encounter. The tentacles on him proved to be too much, and the party just could not reach him in time.

The party left off after collecting Jynx, and are considering a trek to Hommlet to have Bertrand Raised.

kalmarjan
January 1st, 2006, 14:12
Session 29 - Part 1
On route to Hommlet

The party started off to Hommlet with Mad Jynx in tow, and carried Bertrand on a litter. Spirits were heavy as the party mulled over the events at the Moathouse.
After a couple of hours on the forgotten road, the skies began to darken, and the rain started to pour. Shortly after, the wind picked up speed, and the party was forced to find shelter. A copse of trees seemed the best bet, so the party harried for those.
Meanwhile, Another two adventurers on the path were just beginning to encounter a hail of arrows. The party arrived just as the Hobgoblins and Goblins were making their way out to ambush the two strangers.

A short combat ensued, that ended when Trageon cast Sleep on one of the Hobgoblin Leaders, and Corp charged and slaughtered a goblin. The raiders wisely left with haste.

The two strangers were Xoad and Corp, two drinking buddies that decided it was time to find the missing Elmo. The plan was to follow the Moathouse path, then go near the old temple if the Moathouse proved to show nothing.

The party questioned the Hobgoblin, and decided the best course of action was to turn the creature over to the Authorities in Hommlet.

The party learned of dire events from Xoad, about the dissappearance of the children in Hommlet, and the curfew.

Delphion was shocked. It seemed no sooner than he had read the cults plans in the strange scroll case, did it seem to come to pass. He suggested to make haste to Hommlet as soon as possible.

The rains progressively turned to the worst. Thunder and lightning blasted through the late afternoon that sent the fury of a wind whipping through the trees. The party had no choice but to wait out the storm.

At twilight, all seemed to calm down, and the party and the new additions headed to Hommlet. They finally reached the town as the sun dissapeared over the horizon.

--------------Hommlet-----------------

Delphion started to make haste to the Keep, to the objection of Xoad.

"I thought you would like to go straight to see Y'dey," Xoad said.

"I think it is best if we all meet in a central place. We can give our report, and send for Y'Dey and Yether." Delphion raised an eyebrow, "Is there something you are not telling me Xoad?"

"Well, I just never knew you were on good terms with the Keep." Replied Xoad, "You after working for Rufus?"

"We've been working with them as well. I get the sense there is something you are not telling me Xoad?"
"No, just not used to your ways.... Plus, I am not very well liked there..."
"Why aren't you liked there? You are a Paladin!"
Xoad lowered his eyes, "Something about trying to rough up Burne. Not my fault you see.... He spilled my ale! He thrashed me soundly, and that was about it. He's after not talking to me since."
"Hmmm, perhaps you should spend less time at Terrigans and more time at temple?"

"There's no temple to Heronieous here though! Besides! Who in shades are you to pass judgement on me?"
"Are you not his servant? Start one!"
Xoad started to walk away, "Hmmpphh! When you can be more civil to me.... I shall return!"
"I'm not passing judgement"
"Whatever. You Pelorites are all the same!"
Delphion sighed as he watched Xoad take a heavy swig from his ale flask, headed in the direction of Terrigans.

Corp put a hand on Delphion, "Let him go, there's no talking to him when he's like this."

Trageon shook his head, "His temper will get us in trouble one day."

Xaod yelled after the party, "You know where to find me!"
Delphion replied, "Yes, at the temple to the Ale God!"
"Whatever!"

After making their way to the keep, they come to see their friend, Captain Sanchesa manning the gates. The party hands over the captured hobgoblin, and Sanchesa takes them to see Rufus and Burne.
The party quickly finds themselves in a conference room in confortable chairs over a long oak table.

Burne and Rufus enter, looking haggard, and take a seat.
Rufus gestures to the party, "Please, have a seat."
Delphion sits in the confortable leather chair, "Have Y'dey and Yether been called for? We have urgent information."

Delphion laid out the documents on the table, causeing Burne to arch an eyebrow.
"Yes they have. They should arrive shortly."
"Also, as you can see, we have casulties. Jynx has been driven mad, and Bert is dead."
"A lot has occured since we last saw you."

Rufus asked, "Do you know anything regarding the dissapearance of the children?"
Delphion shrugged, "We bumped into Xoad and he mentioned something. I am afraid it is related to these documents."
"How so? Is that what you found from this moathouse?"
"It is disturbing that the foul place is involved in this." added Burne.
Delphion agreed, "The documents mention a ritual in which they sacrifice virgins to release their God."

"My Son!" Exclaimed Yether as he entered into the conference room with Y'Dey, "How good it is to see you!"
Yether clasped Delphion's hand warmly to the frosty stare of Y'Dey as the both sit down.
"Continue...Please." Asked Y'Dey.

kalmarjan
January 1st, 2006, 14:52
----------------Session 29 Part 2---------------------

"We came as soon as we heard." Said Y'Dey.

Delphion went right back to business. “There was an artifact there that the cult was after that lets them communicate with their God. They were able to retrieve it before we arrived."

Canoness Y'dey looked at the documents on the oak table. "Artifact?"
"How distressing!" Said Yether.
Delphion jerked a thumb to the documents. "The obelisk mentioned in the documents."

Burne picked up the black scroll case. "Canoness, do you think this is related to the disappearance of the children?"

"Obelisk?" Asked Y'Dey, suddenly intent.

"We found some dead cultists and the chamber where it resided, but they were gone already with it"
"Now, describe the chamber you saw...."
"It was in a cavern underneath the Moathouse. It was hidden under a pool of water in the lower level of the Moathouse"

Rufus sighed and started to read the documents on the table.
Burne looked angry, "I was assured that that place was empty...Canoness?"

"All reports stated the place was just full of undead." She replied, "Calmer could attest to that."

Delphion interjected, "We did manage to smite many lingering cultists and the undead that inhabited the Moathouse."

Rufus dropped the paper from the black scroll case. "By the gods! The cult's activity here was even more than we thought!"

Burne asked the room, "How did we let this go unnoticed?"

Yether sighed, "Well, this is rather grave news indeed! I think sir, that that is not the issue here. Rather, what are we to do about it?"

Y'dey looked worried, "First, let’s get some things straight."

Delphion rummaged through Bertrand's backpack, showing them the black cloak with the strange symbol. "Also, we found this; it doesn't seem to be a symbol of the current cult."

"Those are from a long time ago." gasped Y'dey, "The bearers of this symbol were worshippers of a cult dedicated to the worship of the Elder Elemental Eye."

"Oh, and the cult is working with Gnolls."

"That is really disturbing, as the cult was eradicated when we killed the Master of the Moathouse. I delivered the killing blow myself with my Starlight!!"

"There is an altar to this false God still in the Moathouse. That was what drove Jynx mad!"

Trageon looked confused, "Elder Elemental Eye?"
"Remember the eye that appeared over the altar, Trag?"
"Yes."
"It "zapped" Jynx. He has been," Delphion gestured, "crazy since."

Rufus interrupted, "This other document states the cult is active now. Can you describe this room? And the altar?"

"Yes," replied the Canoness, "I would be interested in hearing about that."

"There is a room full of sarcophagi in the 2nd or 3rd level," explained Delphion, "In that room there is an entrance to a maze of tunnels. The altar is an open area in the middle of that maze. There is also a statue there."

"Can you describe that statue to me?"

"It was four sided. All I can remember is a mage and a fighter." Delphion motioned Trageon to show the instruments recovered from the statue. "We recovered these objects from the Statue in hidden compartments."

Y'dey took the black instruments and started to examine them intently.

Rufus looked up from over the journal of Geynor, "Hmmm....This is interesting. Apparently there is an obelisk hidden under the basement of the Moathouse."

"It was made out of a purplish stone I think, is that correct Trag?"

kalmarjan
January 8th, 2006, 16:29
Session 30 --------Part 1 -----------------

“The floor was purple?” Rufus said thoughtfully. “Hmmm… some kind of rock?”

Yether looked worried. “It would seem that there was more to this Moathouse than we originally thought.”

“Much more,” replied Delphion, “just as we have been warning all along.”

Yether looked at Delphion as if to warn him to cool it. “That statue Delphion; you said it had how many sides?”
“It had four; each with a different visage on it. One of a mage, one of a Fighter, etc”

“Were you able to recover it?”

“No, this was much too large to move.”

The Canoness looked doubtful, “I do not remember anything about a statue.”

“I am sure we could bring you to it.”

“Indeed.” Burne replied. “The Cult’s uprising was quashed years ago, but we never did find that hidden chamber you speak of.”

“Of course!” Rufus put in, “That is how they were able to rise up again and again.”

Rufus sat down rubbing his gnarled hand over his brow, “I fear we will never be free of this scourge.”

“Pelor Guide us!” said Yether, “By my rebirth and salvation, we shall put these cultists to rest!”

“I promise you,” added Delphion through gritted teeth, “this cult will face divine judgement!”

Trageon sighed, “Its not going to be easy though, seems like they are always one step ahead of us…”

“Delphion, you say that you cleared out the Moathouse?” Y’Dey asked.

“Mostly, there may be a few rooms and stragglers left.”

“My particular interest is the missing children. I fear the cult is behind it.”

“The cult is definitely behind it.” replied Delphion.

Rufus asked sadly, “Where do you think they would take them though?”

“Xaod mentioned an old temple?”

“What of the old temple?”

“In the past, was the Moathouse the only place these cultists occupied?
Perhaps it is also their lair?”

“Reports state it is still a ruin, infested with Hobgoblins.”

“Right, just like the reports on the Moathouse...”

Burne looked grave. “We should alert the Magistrate in Verbonc then.”

Yether looked doubtful, “I fear they will have their hands full with the Gnomes' uprising.”

“Well, Xaod went there not to long ago... but then again... can we trust him?”

Rufus put a hand on Burne’s shoulder, “I think you have a bias on that, old friend.”

“He is just too crass!” replied Burne, “A wonder he is still a paladin!”

“What did Xaod find?” asked Delphion.

Rufus blew out his moustache, “He said that the temple was infested with Hobgoblins, and that was all.”

Yether agreed, “I sense he was telling the truth.”

Corp raised his hand to get attention, “He has been mentioning these stage visions he’s been having lately.”

Burne snorted, “Gaw! Probably the ALE!”

Rufus scowled at his long-time friend, “Now, Burne! You’ve already thrashed him, enough!”

Corp could not believe it, “Normally I'd agree with you, but the visions inspired him enough to leave the tavern and go take a look. Perhaps you and Xaod can hide your enmity for each other long enough to at least talk to him”

Yether sighed, and changed the subject. “Once again, the town's safety is at stake.”

Y'dey looked serious, “Agreed. This is very grave. The townsfolk are beside themselves with the disappearance of the children. The proper authorities must be informed.”

“There may be more agents of the cult still in Hommlet,” warned Delphion.

Yether put a hand on Delphion’s arm, “Let us deal with that Delphion.”

“Agreed.” said Y’Dey, “The priority is finding the children now.”

Canoness Y'dey stood up and bowed to Burne and Rufus. “Might I suggest a course of action Burne?”

“Go ahead...”

“Perhaps since this company is already involved with the cult’s actions, it would be best to send them to the old temple to investigate what is going on.”

“What of the Moathouse?” asked Yether.

Rufus thought it over. “We could send some badgers there to clean up, and bring some evidence to present to the council of Magistrates in Verbonc.”

“Be careful,” cautioned Delphion, “most of the creatures we faced there were well beyond what the badgers could handle.”

The Canoness dismissed that with a wave of her hand. “It will not be easy to dissuade the council to act. They have their share of problems involving the Kron hills and the Gnome uprising.”

Yether grinned. “Perhaps a foray into the adventuring life will be a nice change of pace for me?”

Delphion though it over. “That might be a good idea, in case we missed any undead.”

Rufus slapped Burne on the back, “We would accompany you Yether.”

Y'dey smiled. “Then it is agreed.”

The Canoness looked at the group of adventurers around the table, drew herself up with a regal air.

“Go to the Old Temple and investigate the disappearance of the Children of Hommlet.”

At the murmurs of the Company, she added, “I imagine that there will be some preparation you all need to take?”