PDA

View Full Version : Can you survive your own encounter?

ravenloft713
April 14th, 2017, 13:47
'The metallic clink of your gold coins is heard as you place them on a black velvet tablecloth. The coins are hastily whisked away by the Vistani fortuneteller. "Your future shall be know." the Vistani purrs as the pastel colored handkerchief is removed from the large crystal ball centered on the table. The room fills with mists of all colors and swirls around the center of a hidden vortex. The ghostly sounds of life and death are heard from newborn babies, teachers providing instructions, and the sounds of the battlefield dying in simultaneous maddening concert. Blocking the distractions and focusing intently on the crystal ball center, a clear vision is formed before your eyes. All extraneous sounds and visions and the incense infused tent is gone.'

I'm looking for individuals who have an encounter they would like to create and play through using Fantasy Grounds. Part of the idea is to have fun playing D&D without the need for a massive commitment with campaigns and other people. Simply, "here you are… Go!" and play for 30 minutes to a few hours.

Requirements: Provide an encounter (Using the D&D 5e Ruleset/books) for a party of 4-5 members, of levels 1-6, and a single character (optionally, more) between level 3-8. The encounter can include maps and NPC stats or generic information such a "Within a large city warehouse … goblins appear throwing daggers …"

Submissions can be in the form of chunks of text which I will copy/paste as needed, all the way to a fancy .mod file which has maps, tokens, and what have you. I'm open to suggestions on transferring files (maybe I'll setup a Google drive folder…)

If you would like would like to play your own encounter, let me know a range of times (and time zone!) you are available. It may take a bit of coordination to get it worked out. The other alternative is someone else can play through the encounter and I'll let you know how it turned out.

One of the recent encounters I read about is a group of 12 standard goblins which use simple resources (digging pits with their hands/weapons and lined/covered the traps with sticks and leaves from the nearby forest) to waylay travelers on a cliffside road. The mount's legs would fall into shallow lattice-like devices preventing them from running or possibly breaking their legs. Spiked rolling logs and clever use of bushes and shortbows made it a challenging encounter for a party of level 6.

The intent is to not pick a CR 6 monster, and then attack it with a level 8 warlock in a standard 40'x40' flagstone room. Or to pick a character immune to fire fighting fire elementals.

Get that creative juice flowing!

Gwydion
April 14th, 2017, 15:07
'The metallic clink of your gold coins is heard as you place them on a black velvet tablecloth. The coins are hastily whisked away by the Vistani fortuneteller. "Your future shall be know." the Vistani purrs as the pastel colored handkerchief is removed from the large crystal ball centered on the table. The room fills with mists of all colors and swirls around the center of a hidden vortex. The ghostly sounds of life and death are heard from newborn babies, teachers providing instructions, and the sounds of the battlefield dying in simultaneous maddening concert. Blocking the distractions and focusing intently on the crystal ball center, a clear vision is formed before your eyes. All extraneous sounds and visions and the incense infused tent is gone.'

I'm looking for individuals who have an encounter they would like to create and play through using Fantasy Grounds. Part of the idea is to have fun playing D&D without the need for a massive commitment with campaigns and other people. Simply, "here you are… Go!" and play for 30 minutes to a few hours.

Requirements: Provide an encounter (Using the D&D 5e Ruleset/books) for a party of 4-5 members, of levels 1-6, and a single character (optionally, more) between level 3-8. The encounter can include maps and NPC stats or generic information such a "Within a large city warehouse … goblins appear throwing daggers …"

Submissions can be in the form of chunks of text which I will copy/paste as needed, all the way to a fancy .mod file which has maps, tokens, and what have you. I'm open to suggestions on transferring files (maybe I'll setup a Google drive folder…)

If you would like would like to play your own encounter, let me know a range of times (and time zone!) you are available. It may take a bit of coordination to get it worked out. The other alternative is someone else can play through the encounter and I'll let you know how it turned out.

One of the recent encounters I read about is a group of 12 standard goblins which use simple resources (digging pits with their hands/weapons and lined/covered the traps with sticks and leaves from the nearby forest) to waylay travelers on a cliffside road. The mount's legs would fall into shallow lattice-like devices preventing them from running or possibly breaking their legs. Spiked rolling logs and clever use of bushes and shortbows made it a challenging encounter for a party of level 6.

The intent is to not pick a CR 6 monster, and then attack it with a level 8 warlock in a standard 40'x40' flagstone room. Or to pick a character immune to fire fighting fire elementals.

Get that creative juice flowing!

Hey, Ravenloft. Not sure if it would be useful in this case, but if you want a pre-set encounter, I converted Forgotten tomb and posted it here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36983-Free-Mini-Adventure-by-R-amp-D-Adventures-Forgotten-Tomb

It's basically one encounter with variable difficulty encounters (e.g. 1st level, 3rd level and 5th level) pre-loaded in FG as a module. Anyway, I love your idea and hope you can use the conversion!

Zacchaeus
April 14th, 2017, 16:12
There's also this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTCFG5EDDLATOU) and this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTCFG5EDDLA1)

ravenloft713
April 14th, 2017, 18:13
Thank you for the resources. They look useful and will be added to my Ultimate DM Binder (I use OneNote to keep track of all my goodies).

Though my intent (with this specific thread) is not to convert something or run a full group; it's to give an individual a chance to be creative without feeling the need for an entire module, coordinating numerous schedules, or feel like they have expressive ideas which are better than premade encounters but never get the chance of trying them out.