PDA

View Full Version : FG 3.3.0 update - AVG reports infected FG.exe

EraserTX
April 14th, 2017, 13:39
I just ran the updater through Steam and AVG is throwing flags, saying that FantasyGrounds.exe is infected with Heri. Wanted to make sure that it's a false positive.

damned
April 14th, 2017, 13:56
It is a false positive based on teh executable calling another executable which downloads new versions of the executables...

Sasmira
April 14th, 2017, 13:56
Hello,

No problem for me with ESET NOD32.

S.

spoofer
April 14th, 2017, 14:04
I updated and FG no longer runs. AVG claims that it is infected with a virus called Win32/Heri.
How do I resolve this so that I can use FG again? Help, please! It looks like I am not alone with this problem.

Niles
April 14th, 2017, 14:44
I updated and FG no longer runs. AVG claims that it is infected with a virus called Win32/Heri.
How do I resolve this so that I can use FG again? Help, please! It looks like I am not alone with this problem.

I got the same thing!

Sasmira
April 14th, 2017, 14:46
1/ Exclure FG.exe in AVG
2/ restart the update laucher in the FG repertory

Niles
April 14th, 2017, 14:49
damned, how do we fix this?

Sasmira
April 14th, 2017, 14:50
damned, how do we fix this?

1/ Exclure FG.exe in AVG
2/ restart the update laucher in the FG repertory

ddavison
April 14th, 2017, 14:59
As Damned mentioned, AVG (and possibly other anti-virus) doesn't like when an executable downloads and replaces itself. I just ran an update with the most up-to-date version of AVG and didn't get it flagged for me. Can you make sure to update AVG and then run the FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe again? I also performed a folder scan on C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds and it didn't report anything; however, that may be because I have told AVG in the past at some point that Fantasy Grounds is okay.

dulux-oz
April 14th, 2017, 16:34
Personal opinion, but since AVG got bought out by an Indian firm about 12 months ago its been going downhill (lots of ads, etc, even for the paid version) & I no longer recommend it to my family, friends nor clients. These days I recommended Avira in both its free & paid versions.

But don't just take my word - do some research on Google :)

Cheers

EraserTX
April 14th, 2017, 16:53
I had done some several months ago when I finally got the wife and kids off Norton. I'd been using Avast, but her manager suggested AVG so figured it was worth a try; didn't know about them being bought out, even digging around looking for the "best" options (probably too focused of a search on how well the program runs and system impact, not enough on corporate history).

Even after updating the virus database and trying to rerun the updater, AVG was still having its hissyfit. I finally went into the options and whitelisted the folder like Doug said he'd done and that freed it up.

Thanks for looking at it, guys.

EraserTX
April 14th, 2017, 16:57
Open AVG Internet Security and click on the Options by the close/minimize buttons. Follow the drop-down menu to Advanced settings.
Should get a new window, on the left pane, go to Exceptions, then the right side Add Exception. Easiest way is just hit the entire directory ([drive]:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\).

Moon Wizard
April 14th, 2017, 18:45
I've submitted all the FG EXE files to AVG for whitelisting.

Regards,
JPG

wthrasherb
April 14th, 2017, 21:46
Did not work for me. Still getting heri detection.

Moon Wizard
April 14th, 2017, 22:12
If it's still detecting, then maybe not all the files are being excluded. Try excluding FantasyGrounds.exe, FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe and UpdaterEngine.exe.

Also, you may have set up two different installation directories for FG, so you should look at the properties for the link you click to start FG and make sure that the exclusions are the same directory as the one in the properties.

Regards,
JPG

spoofer
April 15th, 2017, 02:15
This worked!! Thanks EraserTX.

1. Open AVG Internet Security and click on the Options by the close/minimize buttons.
2. Follow the drop-down menu to Advanced settings.
3. Should get a new window, on the left pane, go to Exceptions, then the right side Add Exception.
4. Choose Folder. Click Browse.
5. Select ([drive]:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds\).