PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Game Statistics

ddavison
April 13th, 2017, 17:00
What are your thoughts on having a semi-automated way to build and display game statistics for each of your campaigns?

Background
I've considered building something like this for quite some time and one of the recent discussions about dice rolling high or low for players prompted me to build out at least part of it. My thinking centered around having the capacity to point a tool to a campaign folder, have it extract all this information from the chatlog and also player data, images and other campaign information from your campaign files to post into a nice looking campaign portal online. In order to flush this out more fully, we'd have to invest some additional development time and that would most likely mean some form of cost.

1. Would this be the sort of feature you'd be willing to pay an annual subscription for?
2. Would doing something like $10 every 6 months be reasonable?

This is something that would fall to me for development, so it wouldn't impact FGU.

It currently supports 5E but should be able to work for other d20 based campaigns with minor tweaks. Supporting other rulesets would require additional development but should be possible.

Here is a link to our weekly D&D Storm King's Thunder statistics:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=2499

If you already have a campaign record set up in the game calendar section here on the forums, it is for a 5E game and you are one of the first 3 people to upload your chatlog.html file and provide me a link to your campaign, I will set up your campaign as well and give you a link. If you have a non-5E game, you can upload your chatlog.html as a zipped file here too and I might be able to run that through my script as well -- but no promises.

Remedeez
April 13th, 2017, 17:12
This looks awesome ddavison!

Question, I have my campaign on the Game Calendar ( https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2503 ) but I'd like to not put the connection info there as my game is full, not recruiting, and playing with friends at the moment. (We've been going for several months now, we just dont really use the Game Calendar here for tracking, we have our own Discord server) How else could I go about sending you a link to my campaign/chatlog? Would private message be ok?

Edit: Never mind, I see it doesnt show the connection stuff even after I turned on the "Accepting Players" option. Heh. I'm silly.
Well I suppose I'll just add to this post the chatlog you asked for, and hope :P

ddavison
April 13th, 2017, 17:30
This looks awesome ddavison!

Question, I have my campaign on the Game Calendar ( https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2503 ) but I'd like to not put the connection info there as my game is full, not recruiting, and playing with friends at the moment. (We've been going for several months now, we just dont really use the Game Calendar here for tracking, we have our own Discord server) How else could I go about sending you a link to my campaign/chatlog? Would private message be ok?

Edit: Never mind, I see it doesnt show the connection stuff even after I turned on the "Accepting Players" option. Heh. I'm silly.
Well I suppose I'll just add to this post the chatlog you asked for, and hope :P

PM is fine.

Remedeez
April 13th, 2017, 17:36
PM Sent!

I never did answer your question, but, as for myself, I'd definitely pay in the ballpark of $10/6mos, seems totally fair and reasonable. I'd love something like this!

ddavison
April 13th, 2017, 17:39
Here you go:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=2503

Remedeez
April 13th, 2017, 17:41
Here you go:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=2503

Oh my gosh! SO COOL! Thanks so much!

sturtus
April 13th, 2017, 17:43
YES PLEASE, but from what I know about the cheap data costs in AWS DynamoDB or Redshift or Google Firebase, I think any subscription cost is too much. Perhaps limit to Ultimate license holders?

bawsr
April 13th, 2017, 17:45
It does look interesting. I would rather pay once for it though than paying a subscription cost.

It would certainly be good data to use against the PC's telling them. .see you roll a lot of critical hits.. You just don't like when they hit you!

bawsr
April 13th, 2017, 17:52
It does look interesting. I would rather pay once for it though than paying a subscription cost.

It would certainly be good data to use against the PC's telling them. .see you roll a lot of critical hits.. You just don't like when they hit you!

here is my game link and my chatlog file

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1737

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2017, 17:56
I'd sign up for something like this and the cost you quote would not be a deterrent for me.

ddavison
April 13th, 2017, 18:25

here is my game link and my chatlog file

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1737

Okay, your version is now available. I had to rework the sizing to be dynamic because you had a much longer running campaign and many, many more values to chart.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=1737

wagedomain
April 13th, 2017, 18:26
I would absolutely love something like this, as would my players. They are constantly debating who rolls the worst. Need hard facts to back up the debate!

Also, I think the charts are very nice, but one suggestion I have is a way to possibly group players vs NPCs? That way we can "call out" the PCs separately from monsters. That seems logical to me.

ddavison
April 13th, 2017, 18:34
I would absolutely love something like this, as would my players. They are constantly debating who rolls the worst. Need hard facts to back up the debate!

Also, I think the charts are very nice, but one suggestion I have is a way to possibly group players vs NPCs? That way we can "call out" the PCs separately from monsters. That seems logical to me.

I think we should be able to split out players and NPCs/monsters. Most likely, we would need for the names in the campaign entry to match up with the names in game. Another approach to that might be to actually look at the campaign's xml file to find which character's have a name in each character sheet.

bawsr
April 13th, 2017, 19:07
I am glad to help your testing by pushing the limit. I didn't give you my longer running campaign because it was never posted to the calendar :) Thanks this is very cool.

I guess a pricing question. Is that for all my campaigns or per campaign? I am running a couple of games and going to be looking at a third very soon.

licktoren
April 13th, 2017, 19:10
I'm not a huge fan of subscriptions since gaming can at times be feast or famine for me. So a one time buy option would be nice if offered.

ShadowLinks
April 13th, 2017, 19:21
I'm not a huge fan of subscriptions since gaming can at times be feast or famine for me. So a one time buy option would be nice if offered.

Per session or Per Campain might be a cool option to have. Especially to just try it out.

ddavison
April 13th, 2017, 19:24
Pricing would probably allow for an unlimited number of campaigns. Part of it would go to support the server space and processing -- which shouldn't be too bad but also fund enhancements to add more capabilities, support for more rulesets, etc. An annual sub would allow us to clean up as we went too. If people quit playing or move away, that space could be freed up unless they re-up at some point. It could theoretically even be longer. I'm not sure what the max sub timeframe is. It also allows us to lock it down to confirmed, real people and not spammer/hackers.

Nylanfs
April 13th, 2017, 19:38
How do you get rolls of 0 & 22 on a d20?

ddavison
April 13th, 2017, 19:49
How do you get rolls of 0 & 22 on a d20?

I assume that was a manual roll test

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2017, 19:57
I like the idea. But am (as always) a little leary of subscriptions, but I think I would do it. I do see it as the first possible add-on tool that could be developed. Not sure what next... (maybe a dialog/transcript?)

I would like to see more than what you are showing though. One way to address the PC vs NPC would be to be able to select names with check boxes and then just report on those. That would allow you to compare one set of PCs vs another set of PCs or similar. (Depends onif you are dropping this into a database or just scrubbing the log once).

Also, how would it be updated? Would we have to upload the chatlog or could it be done automatically? Might there be a way to "archive" the chatlog once it is uploaded so that a new one starts? Would you be able to show statistics by session?

I guess in the end, $10/6month I would expect more than just the charts you have shown, maybe not at release, but Soon (TM).

Torgaard
April 13th, 2017, 19:57
On the one hand, I love bells n' whistles; and cost is rarely a consideration. I feel like it would be yet another little carrot that leads my players down the road to being more and more invested in their characters, and draws them deeper into their already dangerous obsession they have with my campaign - which is right where I want 'em! :p

My only (minor) concern is this: When it comes to having fun on the computer - when I'm not playing or preparing for D&D - I'm playing MMO's. One of several hot topics that comes along in most MMO's is something called a "Damage Meter". Usually used by guilds on raids, to kind of casually compete to see who can do the most damage during a fight, but more to kinda make sure that the DPS'rs are all doing the kind of damage that needs to be done (in the shortest time possible) to kill the bad guy quickly. This isn't too come down on them and be all, "Hey - you're not doing enough damage! Get to work!" (though the internet being what it is, that is sadly how it often plays out), it's more to identify where the raids overall damage could be improved. The idea is to have a guild member take you aside and say, "Hey, lets work on your attack routine and see where we can find some more DPS".

That in mind, I would worry that somebody might feel a little self-conscious if they looked at the "Damage Done" category. I don't think any of my players would blink at it (though they would probably dish out some good-natured ribbing, etc), but ya never know. Everybody should be able to just see it for what it is: It's just a fun little statistical tool. Which is why I totally would/will buy it!

Perhaps throw an option in there that would allow the DM to only display the stats they want?

bawsr
April 13th, 2017, 19:58
I don't ever remember doing a manual roll... I was trying to figure that out myself :) TBH, I am not sure how to do a manual roll. I know I saw it was possible somewhere just never intentionally have done it! I wonder if problem with Data Collection or if players ( possibly even on my computer :D) were playing around with options one day and they were testing manual die rolls. I might have to go and look through the data when I get a chance!

spite
April 13th, 2017, 20:16
I'd love to get this if it supported the other rulesets aswell. I use 5e no more than I use 4e, Savage and now Cthulhu.
And 10/6month or 2/month would be right up my alley for pricing.

ddavison
April 13th, 2017, 20:32
I like the idea. But am (as always) a little leary of subscriptions, but I think I would do it. I do see it as the first possible add-on tool that could be developed. Not sure what next... (maybe a dialog/transcript?)

I would like to see more than what you are showing though. One way to address the PC vs NPC would be to be able to select names with check boxes and then just report on those. That would allow you to compare one set of PCs vs another set of PCs or similar. (Depends onif you are dropping this into a database or just scrubbing the log once).

Also, how would it be updated? Would we have to upload the chatlog or could it be done automatically? Might there be a way to "archive" the chatlog once it is uploaded so that a new one starts? Would you be able to show statistics by session?

I guess in the end, $10/6month I would expect more than just the charts you have shown, maybe not at release, but Soon (TM).

Agreed. I don't thing the charts by themselves are really sufficient functionality yet. I'm thinking of something more in line with Obsidian Portal, but with a nice, nifty little tool that you can use to sync your campaign data to the web portal without having to format everything yourself. That tool would process and upload the data from the latest chatlog.html (which is constantly added to), pull data from your local campaign and allow you to share it with your group in a persistent format.

ddavison
April 13th, 2017, 20:38
Perhaps throw an option in there that would allow the DM to only display the stats they want?

Like anything else, that should be possible. It would just need a new interface to list all the categories and allow you to turn one or more of them off so they don't show up in the dropdown.

@bawsr, the roll is actually being calculated by taking the 1d20+X = Y and calculating what the roll might have been. I would have to try to figure out where those few crazy numbers came from and see if it was from an effect or something. Any modifier box value should have been recorded in the +X value, I think. Maybe I should check to see if there are any that were 1d20+X+Y = Z. If so, then I'd need to remove X and Y from Z to find the actual roll value.

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2017, 20:47
Ok, I've already got responses back from my players that they would love to see this stuff. So just let me know when I can send you more money *G*

ddavison
April 13th, 2017, 20:50
Send me the chatlog (or attach it) along with a campaign id from the calendar and I'll load it up for you. If some brave soul wants to send me a chatlog for a different ruleset, I can take a look at that. It's Spring Break for my family, so this counts as vacation/fun stuff for me to play around with.

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2017, 21:02
My games aren't on the calendar. Though I could make a calendar entry if that's needed...?

Here are the two big ones.

ddavison
April 13th, 2017, 21:04
Yeah, I just need a placeholder for it with the name so I can link all the stats to that campaign ID value. You can create one for each and just mark them as private.

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2017, 21:08
Yeah, I just need a placeholder for it with the name so I can link all the stats to that campaign ID value. You can create one for each and just mark them as private.
Undermountain: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2504

Dutchemen: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2505

Thanks!

ddavison
April 13th, 2017, 21:47
These should now be available:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=2504

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=2505

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2017, 22:31
These should now be available:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=2504

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=2505
Awesome, thank you!

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2017, 22:52
We're sold :)

My players want to know out of that 13.7k points of damage the wizard dealt, how much of that was friendly fire! *G*

Rhuarc
April 13th, 2017, 23:09
Looks awesome, wouldn't mind at all paying for such a cool function! :D

damned
April 14th, 2017, 01:08

Hey bawsr Hulse isnt using the Manual Roll feature is he? :)

damned
April 14th, 2017, 01:11
Id give the stats a go - Ive never heard my players grumble about rolls being non-random but they are all nerdy and would get at least a little fun out of the stats.

izex
April 14th, 2017, 03:16
It would be nice if this was free to ultimate license users and I think $7 for 6 months would be better unless it has more stats (IMO).

LordEntrails
April 14th, 2017, 03:58
I'm pretty sure there will be more stats in time (if this goes to production). I think Doug was just playing around and put together really just a proof of concept.

There are other stats I would like too, mainly around averages. Like; average damage dealt, average damage received, standard deviation, etc. Plus all sort of other capabilities, but I would wait until it was an actual product before spending much time thinking about it.

I just think it's pretty cool that Doug said, 'Hey, I've got an idea, let me put something together and see what the community thinks!" And then shared it with us.

Silverwolf75
April 14th, 2017, 04:33
Hi

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2506

attached chatlog

Regards

Silver

Allmight
April 14th, 2017, 09:21
It's a neat idea for sure, but i would not pay a subscription for it. I have so many supscriptions running for all sorts of things it makes my head spin so i am getting a bit tired of subs. Thats one of the reasons i coughed up the Money to buy the Ultimate License instead of subscribing to it, and i am certain there are alot of people out there that is starting to get tired on anything that is subscription based. Better if you include it in FG subs or purchases. Maybe sell a version of FG that the sub/purchase price is slightly higher than normal instead of one more sub.

feldrol
April 14th, 2017, 09:45
The feature is fun, but I would not pay a suscription for it, or I would pay only one period of time then stop.
Playing one session a week, the statistics will not evolve much from one week to the other and I don't think I would check it more than twice or thrice a year.

leozelig
April 14th, 2017, 12:20
I would not pay extra for that feature, although some of it is pretty cool.

Szabtom
April 14th, 2017, 13:11
I would consider a small one-time payment for the cool factor, but not a subscription. Not sure how much use I would take out of it on a regular basis, to warrant a sub.
Some ideas of analytics that would be interesting:
Number of saving throws rolled by ability
Number of skill checks rolled by skill
Average damage rolled per attack, by weapon, by spell effect
Number of spell attacks rolled per spell (popularity of attack spells)
Number of attacks per weapon (popularity of weapons)
Number of short/long rests taken per session
Number of successful/failed saving rolls, per type, per class, NPC/PC
And I am sure everyone can think of a hundred more.
These would all be relevant to discussions about class balance and generally the game balance in 5e. I think it could provide immensely useful data for Wotc designers so there is a potential for commercial use.

ddavison
April 14th, 2017, 15:04
Hi

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=2506

attached chatlog

Regards

Silver

Your info is now available. For some reason, your defeated foes is showing up as blank and there were not many rolls at all. Was this from a single session? The chatlog should be found on the DM's system in the root of the campaign folder.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=2506

ddavison
April 14th, 2017, 16:58
There is a slightly updated version available that lets you summarize all stats by a player or NPC. For now, I don't have the player list in a convenient and clickable format, so you'll have to type into the URL to see it. Here are some examples from our campaign for two of the players - Gilden and Atticus Thann. Notice how Atticus Thann need a space typed into the URL and that translates into %20 if you later copy and paste the URL around. You can look in the Rolls Made category to see the exact spelling of any player characters or NPCs.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=2499&key=Atticus%20Thann

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=2499&key=Gilden

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=2499&key=Frost%20Giant

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=2499&key=GRAVEN

bawsr
April 14th, 2017, 19:09
Hey bawsr Hulse isnt using the Manual Roll feature is he? :)

He may have tried it once but he isn't a technical person. He may have been told about it and tried it :)

noxioustaco
April 14th, 2017, 20:48
Sign me up, cost not a real issue as long as we can agree on whats fair for the time you put in, sounds like a good deal

TheSwartz
April 15th, 2017, 00:17
As a total data nerd, this is absolutely wonderful! I'm the guy who trains for Ironman moreso that I can peruse my Garmin data after each workout than that I actually like to work out...

I really only use FG to supplement a table top game, so this wouldn't apply to me, and so my opinion wouldn't really matter. But this is darn cool and I hope you make this work if it isn't too much of a hassle.

bawsr
April 16th, 2017, 18:48
Ok reviewing my statistics.. I am a little confused by the data... Drakon is the biggest damage dealer in my results (Being a wild magic Sorcerer) He is listed as only defeating 4 foes? That doesn't seem right. You might want to check and see if something is skewed.

The data overall looks pretty awesome!

ddavison
April 16th, 2017, 20:08
Ok reviewing my statistics.. I am a little confused by the data... Drakon is the biggest damage dealer in my results (Being a wild magic Sorcerer) He is listed as only defeating 4 foes? That doesn't seem right. You might want to check and see if something is skewed.

The data overall looks pretty awesome!

I will check that part again. I may have picked up deaths for Basic attacks but that method may not work for spell-based deaths.

The kill also goes to whoever does the final attack.

bawsr
April 17th, 2017, 00:53
I realize the Kill goes to last attacker I am almost certain that he has killed more than that. He has done 17,587 damage.. and killed 3 monsters? I know he has killed more. I will review the data when I get time.

ddavison
April 17th, 2017, 01:57
I realize the Kill goes to last attacker I am almost certain that he has killed more than that. He has done 17,587 damage.. and killed 3 monsters? I know he has killed more. I will review the data when I get time.

Actually, I just displayed the data differently. The Defeated Foes should be re-labeled as "Defeated Count". It should now properly reflect it. I didn't actually list who had the final attack against each foe. it is definitely doable, but I would need to store and present the data a little differently for that to work properly with the current key or category selection.

Seya
April 17th, 2017, 06:10
This should be included with the ultimate license

JohnD
April 17th, 2017, 07:37
This should be included with the ultimate license

Good idea.

yazgan
July 20th, 2017, 21:59
Here is my Dead in Thay's first sessions chatlog.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=2649

Thank you in advance :)

ddavison
July 21st, 2017, 16:15
Here is my Dead in Thay's first sessions chatlog.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=2649

Thank you in advance :)

Here is your link:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=2649

seycyrus
August 16th, 2017, 01:54
ddavison,

Would it be possible to run session statistics on a Gurps session?

ddavison
August 16th, 2017, 04:36
I think the script would need to be a little different but there might be a decent amount of crossover. Hit me up after Gen Con next week and I can take a peek at the chatlog file to see how well it will work.

yazgan
August 28th, 2017, 16:08
Here is your link:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=2649

ddavison,
would it be possible to update the statistics?

I've tried to get a pivot table with excel but it needs a lot rework :/

ddavison
August 31st, 2017, 13:40
ddavison,
would it be possible to update the statistics?

I've tried to get a pivot table with excel but it needs a lot rework :/

Your new stats are updated and available.

Dax Doomslayer
February 20th, 2018, 17:01
Hi Doug - this is a pretty neat idea. I think I'm OK with a nominal annual fee (though as many have said, I loathe subscriptions). Out of curiosity, where does this project stand? I have 2 of my group that are always trash talking each other about how pathetic they roll etc. and this would actually add facts - lol...

shadzar
September 18th, 2018, 04:31
In order to flush this out more fully, we'd have to invest some additional development time and that would most likely mean some form of cost.

Wait a minute here! Why was MoonWizard telling me to make an extension for this sort of thing for the OBS db.xml widget, when you already have the thing, jsut doesn't output to HTML the same fields people need for streaming.

FG already has the tools to make the widget for streamers. :D

LordEntrails
September 18th, 2018, 04:36
Wait a minute here! Why was MoonWizard telling me to make an extension for this sort of thing for the OBS db.xml widget, when you already have the thing, jsut doesn't output to HTML the same fields people need for streaming.

FG already has the tools to make the widget for streamers. :D
This parses the chatlog, not the db.xml.

shadzar
September 18th, 2018, 04:42
This parses the chatlog, not the db.xml.

oh. i found this from a thread about making a website from the db.xml, that is probably what confused me then.

madman
September 18th, 2018, 06:02
Hey Doug does this work well with Pathfinder?

Madman..

seycyrus
March 12th, 2019, 00:34
ddavison,

In 2017 I asked if you'd be able to try a stat run for a Gurps Chatlog, and you replied that you'd have some free time after GenCon.

It is now after GenCon 2017 and therefore I present to you a chatlog:D from my last session. Would you be able to run it through your parser and see what it generates for the gurps ruleset?

LordEntrails
March 12th, 2019, 01:09
ddavison,

In 2017 I asked if you'd be able to try a stat run for a Gurps Chatlog, and you replied that you'd have some free time after GenCon.

It is now after GenCon 2017 and therefore I present to you a chatlog:D from my last session. Would you be able to run it through your parser and see what it generates for the gurps ruleset?
Make sure you have a game on the calandar. Even if its set to private and has no players, it what the results get associated/linked with.

seycyrus
March 12th, 2019, 03:19
Make sure you have a game on the calandar. Even if its set to private and has no players, it what the results get associated/linked with.

Woah, this is new to me. Thanks for letting me know. Do I have to have all the fields filled out (ip address)?

LordEntrails
March 12th, 2019, 05:16
Woah, this is new to me. Thanks for letting me know. Do I have to have all the fields filled out (ip address)?
No, I think it's just that it then creates a container that Doug can attach the log to on his end. Just a name should be all that's needed.

ddavison
March 12th, 2019, 15:37
ddavison,

Haha. Busted.

Well, we are not doing anything for Gen Con this year but we are working on some fairly big items that are time sensitive. Feel free to PM me once a month or so and if I'm not crazy busy at the moment, I might be able to whip something up for it. I'm not that familiar with GURPS, so I will need to look through it to see what examples I can pull out.

In your chatlog, I see turn indicators, [DAMAGE], [SKILL] and Success/Failures. I don't see any examples of a defeated creature or any way to see who the damage is being directed to.
With that, I could calculate damage dealt, critical success and failures, regular successes and failure counts and total rolls made.

seycyrus
March 12th, 2019, 22:46
... I'm not that familiar with GURPS, so I will need to look through it to see what examples I can pull out.

In your chatlog, I see turn indicators, [DAMAGE], [SKILL] and Success/Failures. I don't see any examples of a defeated creature or any way to see who the damage is being directed to.
With that, I could calculate damage dealt, critical success and failures, regular successes and failure counts and total rolls made.

Well, in this chatlog, there aren't any defeated creatures. It's a big bad boss that is in the process of eating the players. The lack of damage to target is my fault, primarily because of the singular nature of the damage target.

It would be useful if I could just see total damage dealt, by The One Who Eats, maybe average damage, and the number of criticals whether they are successes or failures.

madman
March 22nd, 2019, 04:37
Doug I would love to see how this works with a PFRPG game!

Link to game HERE (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=2997)

Thanks in advance if you get to it!

Madman..

ddavison
March 28th, 2019, 14:32
Doug I would love to see how this works with a PFRPG game!

Link to game HERE (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=2997)

Thanks in advance if you get to it!

Madman..

PFRPG ended up being very close to 5E and so it only took slight modifications.
Here is your link Madman
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=2997

madman
March 28th, 2019, 17:30
Thanks Doug. Very Cool!

ddavison
March 28th, 2019, 18:50
seycyrus, if you can get me a bit longer chatlog with more examples and defeated foes, I might be able to revisit that to come up with the necessary regular expressions. The one you sent earlier didn't have much to pull from for several categories.

seycyrus
March 28th, 2019, 21:58
seycyrus, if you can get me a bit longer chatlog with more examples and defeated foes, I might be able to revisit that to come up with the necessary regular expressions. The one you sent earlier didn't have much to pull from for several categories.

Thank you for your time and your offer. I however, am not sure what you mean exactly by defeated foes. Do "normal" (non-Gurps) rulesets make a chatbox announcement or something when a creature dies?

ddavison
March 28th, 2019, 22:12
Yes, there is normally and update when they are dying, dead, etc. If the GURPS ruleset doesn't have that, then it might still be able to do some of the stats but others would need to be cut. Using the targeting in other rulesets will add details on who is getting damaged or attacked as well and several of the stats compile that info too.

bmos
July 28th, 2020, 15:45
Can I still get in on this?
I'm sure my players would love to see it. Also, am I missing per-player stats or is this not being parsed for yet?
I know the original question of subscription is possibly irrelevant now, but I also would pay that price for ongoing calculation for my games.

PF1e

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=5245

ddavison
July 28th, 2020, 16:05
Can I still get in on this?
I'm sure my players would love to see it. Also, am I missing per-player stats or is this not being parsed for yet?
I know the original question of subscription is possibly irrelevant now, but I also would pay that price for ongoing calculation for my games.

PF1e

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=5245

Here you go:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=5245&category=d20+Rolls

I had to make a minor change to calculate the rolls for FG Unity since the format has changed from 1d20 to just a d20 on the chat string.

bmos
July 28th, 2020, 16:22
Here you go:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=5245&category=d20+Rolls

I had to make a minor change to calculate the rolls for FG Unity since the format has changed from 1d20 to just a d20 on the chat string.

Wow, that was quick. They sure do roll a lot of fives!

Only one glitch, there seems to be a 36 and a 37 rolled on a d20.

ddavison
July 28th, 2020, 16:30
Yeah, I'm not sure where those came from.

The only 36 and 37 I see in your chatlog.html are for durations, and yet I don't see values for other durations getting picked up incorrectly.

bmos
July 28th, 2020, 16:41
Yeah, I'm not sure where those came from.

The only 36 and 37 I see in your chatlog.html are for durations, and yet I don't see values for other durations getting picked up incorrectly.

If i'm reading it correctly, two of my players also rolled twice the natural 1s and 20s that anyone else did.

Oh, i guess that makes sense when they have rolled so much more often.

It would be cool to have per-player proportions instead of just total numbers of rolls, although now I have the numbers so I can calculate that myself :)

ddavison
July 28th, 2020, 16:54
If i'm reading it correctly, two of my players also rolled twice the natural 1s and 20s that anyone else did.

Oh, i guess that makes sense when they have rolled so much more often.

It would be cool to have per-player proportions instead of just total numbers of rolls, although now I have the numbers so I can calculate that myself :)

Players generally all roll different numbers of times. You will want to look at the total # of rolls needed to roll a natural 1 or natural 20 as well. That should show if people are luckier than normal.

Those two players made 298 and 304 rolls respectively, compared to Niv who made 130 rolls and Jasper, who rolled 176 times on a d20.

bmos
July 28th, 2020, 17:33
Players generally all roll different numbers of times. You will want to look at the total # of rolls needed to roll a natural 1 or natural 20 as well. That should show if people are luckier than normal.

Those two players made 298 and 304 rolls respectively, compared to Niv who made 130 rolls and Jasper, who rolled 176 times on a d20.

Wow, did I totally miss that earlier?
I wasted my time in Excel figuring it out based on total and number of!

EDIT: Not really a waste after all, because percentages are easier for me to understand.
If anyone else wants to do this, just enter each character's totals, 1s, and 20s in the boxes

BaneTBC
July 28th, 2020, 22:40
If you could add another so I can look at it, added a calender entry here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=5251).
And attached the chatlog.

ddavison
July 29th, 2020, 15:10
If you could add another so I can look at it, added a calender entry here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=5251).
And attached the chatlog.

Here you go:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/gamestats.php?id=5251

Make sure to let me know which ruleset it is for if you send me any more. I have support for 5E and PFRPG 1E currently.

BaneTBC
July 29th, 2020, 18:32
Thanks, really appreciate it!

SmackDaddy
August 23rd, 2020, 08:47
Is this something that will ultimately be able to be used/signed up for by DMs or is this still in development?

Weissrolf
November 2nd, 2020, 12:27
I suggest to add an entry for same results rolled subsequently (like how many of X were rolled in a row).

ddavison
November 2nd, 2020, 12:48
I suggest to add an entry for same results rolled subsequently (like how many of X were rolled in a row).

How specific? Same dice type rolled by the same player, by all players, or what?

That is probably the reason most people seem to think dice are not random, they unconsciously filter the results to some arbitrary but notable element. After rolling a 20, it is equally likely to roll another 20 as it is any other number. We just tend to focus on 1s and 20s more, for obvious reasons.

bmos
November 16th, 2020, 11:38
Wasn't there a couple more pages in this thread a week or two ago?

Trenloe
November 16th, 2020, 11:42
Wasn't there a couple more pages in this thread a week or two ago?
More than a couple. Discussions about dice rolling statistics went way off topic, so they were moved to their own thread here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?63411-Randomness-and-Analytics-of-Die-Rolls

bmos
November 16th, 2020, 11:44
Discussions about dice rolling statistics went way off topic, so they were moved to their own threadPerfect, that makes total sense. Thank you!

cyrixdx4
December 13th, 2020, 00:55
Do we have to subscribe to this service still or is just a matter of PM'n the OP with a link to our calander? Can this be broken down per session as well as total for the campaign?

damned
December 13th, 2020, 01:16
It was not implemented as a service

cyrixdx4
December 13th, 2020, 02:22
It was not implemented as a service

dissapointing news

@ddavidson are there any new updates to this features out? Can we still use this ? My other questions are still outstanding.

ddavison
December 13th, 2020, 23:23
If you post the chatlog, tell me the ruleset and include a link to your campaign, I can probably run it through the processes to create the stats for you. It is not set up to run on a per session basis. A campaign only has a single set of chatlog stats. Updates basically replace the old chatlog.