PDA

View Full Version : Steam Purchase Questions

JonnySweatpants
April 13th, 2017, 14:58
I have both PC and MacBook, and I'm looking for a way to purchase FG2 in order to use on both.

Is the best way to do this through Steam? I'm assuming yes.

If so, will I still need to have the WINE app in order to install on MacBook?

Is there a way to purchase through the website, and then install through Steam? (At a glance, the DND package is actually cheaper through the website rather than through Steam)

Thank You for any help you can provide :)

Trenloe
April 13th, 2017, 15:10
For your situation (using a Mac): Do not buy DLC on Steam, it won't download to a Mac - the DLC is listed as Windows only. But you can get the base license on Steam and use on Mac.

I'd recommend purchasing your base license on Steam so that you get the Wine wrapper all packaged up. Then buy your DLC/add ons here on the website. The purchases here will install (via the FG update process) on both Windows and Mac in the Steam version fine. Steam is actually just a wrapper that launches the base FG application - the same as you'd run outside of Steam.

damned
April 13th, 2017, 15:14
Any BASE licenses bought on Steam will work with the downloadable installer here.
Any BASE license purchases bought here will get synced to Steam approx every 6 weeks.
For the Mac - if you want the simple install the Steam install is the way to go. If you are comfortable with Wineskin or similar then you can buy here and do a manual install - several sets of instructions can be found here.

DLC purchases are not synced in any way between the two stores.
It is best to buy your DLC in one store only and keep all your purchases in the same place.

JonnySweatpants
April 13th, 2017, 15:32
DLC purchases are not synced in any way between the two stores.
It is best to buy your DLC in one store only and keep all your purchases in the same place.

Are you saying that if I buy the DLC from the store, they will not sync to my steam version on the macbook? Or are you just saying that I can'd DL them there?

Trenloe
April 13th, 2017, 15:33
As you're using a Mac, don't buy the DLC from Steam. The base license is fine, but the DLC on Steam is not Mac compatible and will only download to a Windows PC.

If you buy from the Store it will download to both Windows and Mac.

1) Windows PC: downloads purchases from FG web store and Steam.
2) Mac computer: only downloads purchases from the FG web store, not Steam.

JonnySweatpants
April 13th, 2017, 15:35
As you're using a Mac, don't buy the DLC from Steam. The base license is fine, but the DLC on Steam is not Mac compatible and will only download to a Windows PC.

If you buy from the Store it will download to both Windows and Mac.

Ok. I will purchase the base license through Steam, then the DLC from the online store. Then, the DLC should sync to my macbook version through Steam.

If I have this incorrect, please just let me know, but I think I got it.

Trenloe
April 13th, 2017, 15:38
Ok. I will purchase the base license through Steam, then the DLC from the online store. Then, the DLC should sync to my macbook version through Steam.

If I have this incorrect, please just let me know, but I think I got it.
The terminology is incorrect, but the end result is correct.

As mentioned above, Steam is just a wrapper to running the same Fantasy Grounds application. It works exactly the same way whether you bought from Steam or from the FG webstore.

- Windows installations of FG check both the FG web store and Steam for DLC purchase history and install/update those products.
- Macs (even those installations made via Steam) cannot check the Steam store for purchase history, so will only install/update purchases made on the FG web store.

JonnySweatpants
April 13th, 2017, 15:44
The terminology is incorrect, but the end result is correct.

As mentioned above, Steam is just a wrapper to running the same Fantasy Grounds application. It works exactly the same way whether you bought from Steam or from the FG webstore.

- Windows installations of FG check both the FG web store and Steam for DLC purchase history and install/update those products.
- Macs (even those installations made via Steam) cannot check the Steam store for purchase history, so will only install/update purchases made on the FG web store.

Once I launch FG through Steam, on my macbook, can I manually update through FG 'settings' to get the DLC there? Assuming that the DLC purchases were done on the FG web store.

I'm sorry, but this seems terribly convoluted....

Trenloe
April 13th, 2017, 15:44
This is what you need to do:

1) Purchase Fantasy Grounds through Steam.
2) Install on your Windows and Mac computers through Steam.
3) Buy any DLC/add ons only from the FG Web Store. Always associate purchases with the same FG website account - in your case "JonnySweatpants".
4) On both of your installs: open Fantasy Grounds, click the settings button and enter your FG website username (JonnySweatpants) and password and then run an update.
5) The update process on both computers will access your purchases on the FG web store and download/update the products you own.

JonnySweatpants
April 13th, 2017, 16:32
Thank You all for the help.

I have installed and updated everything with no problems! Looking forward to learning FG and then using for my campaigns.

JonnySweatpants
April 13th, 2017, 17:47
Now that I have everything installed / updated correctly. Another question:

When I create a campaign on my PC desktop, then want to hop over to my mac laptop and load it there, it does not appear. Is there anything that can be done about this, or can I not host campaigns across the machines?

Trenloe
April 13th, 2017, 17:51
FG stores all of your data locally on the hard drive so you always have access to it. You can copy the campaign data from one machine to the other. Click the folder button in the top right of the FG start screen to get to the FG data directory. Your campaign data is stored the the "campaigns" directory.

Don't use a cloud sync application on your FG live data as these can cause data corruption. But you can use a cloud sync solution to manually copy data. That is, manually copy data from one computer into a temp directory in the cloud, then manually copy off onto the other computer.

JonnySweatpants
April 14th, 2017, 00:27
When running through steam, after being able to update with all the DLC, I am continually getting failures on the connection test.

I have made sure that FG is enabled to communicate through firewall, and can obviously load fantasygrounds.com just fine. Anyone have any ideas as to what the issue may be?

Trenloe
April 14th, 2017, 00:33
Have you logged into your Internet router and setup port forwarding?

Some background info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=networking#faq_networking_1
And https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?4279-FG-Knowledge-Base-Firewalls

Note: you can only setup port forwarding for one computer on your network. So pick your favourite - Windows or Mac! ;-)

damned
April 14th, 2017, 00:36
Hi JonnySweatpants,

FantasyGrounds runs as a server. Your players will connect their FG clients to your FG instance. This means that your firewall needs to allow INCOMING FG traffic and direct it to the right computer. If you made no changes to your firewall then the firewalls UPnP was smart enough to work with FG and setup the rules itself. However it setup the rules for the first computer and the UPnP protocol will not quickly/easily delete the first rules and set them up for a second computer.

Which computer will you be using as GM? Only the GM computer needs to run the connection test.

You can power cycle your router and it should clear the UPnP rules and it will rebuild them for the next computer you use FG on or they will usually clear after X hours and the next FG computer will get the rules.

JonnySweatpants
April 14th, 2017, 01:03
Have you logged into your Internet router and setup port forwarding?

Some background info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/faq.php?faq=networking#faq_networking_1
And https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?4279-FG-Knowledge-Base-Firewalls

Note: you can only setup port forwarding for one computer on your network. So pick your favourite - Windows or Mac! ;-)

Yes, I have. I have setup a static IP and gone through my router and setup to forward for port 1802, to that newly created static IP.

Trenloe
April 14th, 2017, 01:06
Yes, I have. I have setup a static IP and gone through my router and setup to forward for port 1802, to that newly created static IP.
Does the connection test work at all? You mention launching through Steam - does it work if you launch directly from the application shortcut outside of Steam? Or you on Windows or Mac? Have you double-double checked that the IP address you use for the port forwarding is definitely the IP address that your computer is using? (You'd be surprised how many times this is not the chase). More info on your exact setup for your testing please.

JonnySweatpants
April 14th, 2017, 01:17
Does the connection test work at all? You mention launching through Steam - does it work if you launch directly from the application shortcut outside of Steam? Or you on Windows or Mac? Have you double-double checked that the IP address you use for the port forwarding is definitely the IP address that your computer is using? (You'd be surprised how many times this is not the chase). More info on your exact setup for your testing please.

I am launching through steam, on my Macbook. I cannot launch directly outside of steam it seems on the mac.

It works from my PC just fine.

I have double checked and triple checked the IP.

damned
April 14th, 2017, 01:23
You can only port forward to one computer at a time.
If you manually setup your Port Forward to Computer A it is manually set to one computer or one IP address UNTIL you manually change it in the router.
If you used UPnP then part of the UPnP protocol is quite lengthy time to live settings. The rules dont disappear from Computer A and appear for Computer B as soon as you switch to Computer B. B must be off (FG at least) for sufficient time for the routers UPnP rules to expire so it can create new ones.

What is the LAN IP address of:
PC?
Mac?

Did you manually create the port forward rules?
Please post the settings used:

JonnySweatpants
April 14th, 2017, 01:31
You can only port forward to one computer at a time.
If you manually setup your Port Forward to Computer A it is manually set to one computer or one IP address UNTIL you manually change it in the router.
If you used UPnP then part of the UPnP protocol is quite lengthy time to live settings. The rules dont disappear from Computer A and appear for Computer B as soon as you switch to Computer B. B must be off (FG at least) for sufficient time for the routers UPnP rules to expire so it can create new ones.

What is the LAN IP address of:
PC?
Mac?

Did you manually create the port forward rules?
Please post the settings used:

I am only looking to set up port forwarding on 1 computer, the Mac, as the PC works just fine. Would I need to also set it up there with it already working?

Manually created the below:

Mac: 192.168.1.12
Router: 192.168.1.12

damned
April 14th, 2017, 01:35
You can only have port forwarding setup on one computer.
Only the GM computer requires Port Forwarding.
Which computer will you be GMing from?

Im not sure what you mean by your Mac/Router address post.

Port Forwarding would look like:

FantasyGrounds WAN IP, Port 1802 LAN IP 192.1681.12 Port 1802

You can only port forward one port to one computer.

LordEntrails
April 14th, 2017, 01:38
I am only looking to set up port forwarding on 1 computer, the Mac, as the PC works just fine. Would I need to also set it up there with it already working?

Manually created the below:

Mac: 192.168.1.12
Router: 192.168.1.12
If you set up port forwarding on your Mac, then it will not work on your PC. That's what Damned is trying to tell you.

That said, you should be able to configure your router to port forward to your Mac. To help with that, let Trenloe know what settings you are using.

EDIT: ninja'd! and slipped in Trenloe's name by mistake too!

JonnySweatpants
April 14th, 2017, 01:44
If you set up port forwarding on your Mac, then it will not work on your PC. That's what Damned is trying to tell you.

That said, you should be able to configure your router to port forward to your Mac. To help with that, let Trenloe know what settings you are using.

See below screenshots with my configurations

damned
April 14th, 2017, 01:46
See below screenshots with my configurations

Please go back and read my posts.

JonnySweatpants
April 14th, 2017, 01:46
You can only have port forwarding setup on one computer.
Only the GM computer requires Port Forwarding.
Which computer will you be GMing from?

Im not sure what you mean by your Mac/Router address post.

Port Forwarding would look like:

FantasyGrounds WAN IP, Port 1802 LAN IP 192.1681.12 Port 1802

You can only port forward one port to one computer.

I will be GM from each computer, at different times. Using my desktop, then using my laptop for different sessions.

JonnySweatpants
April 14th, 2017, 01:47
Please go back and read my posts.

I have read your post, and if those screenshots don't answer those questions I'm afraid I'm not sure where else to get that information.

damned
April 14th, 2017, 01:53
You can only port forward one port to one computer at one time.
If its working to your PC at the moment how is that working? You cant have the PC and the Mac both configured concurrently.

If you really need both computers to be GM, and based on what you have done so far...

Assign your PC a static IP of 192.168.1.13
Make sure 192.168.1.12 and 192.168.1.13 are excluded from your DHCP pool
Delete your existing FG rule 0- its wrong.
Reboot the router.
Create a new rule:
FantasyGrounds 1802 1802 192.168.1.12

This will let you GM with your MAC and not your PC.
When you want to GM with your PC - edit the rule and change the Internal IP Address to 192.168.1.13 and reboot.

Some other tests/info.
Do you have other networking devices on your network? Another router or WiFi device?
Start a new campaign on your Mac and then load up the PC and choose Join Game - use a different Username (from your Mac/GM) and put the server/alias as 192.168.1.12 - does that work? If not there is a firewall or other issue blocking access on the Mac.

LordEntrails
April 14th, 2017, 01:54
I will be GM from each computer, at different times. Using my desktop, then using my laptop for different sessions.
So you will have to change your port forwarding when you switch what computer you at GMing from. You got that right? And right now it is working on your PC. So I assume that is the internal IP 192.168.1.12? And you are not trying to use the same internal IP for both computers right?

EDIT: let me bow out and leave this to Damned. He's online and more knowledgeable about this than I.

damned
April 14th, 2017, 02:24
Hi JonnySweatpants - does LordEntrails and my posts above make sense?
Let us know where you are at.

JonnySweatpants
April 14th, 2017, 02:27
Hi JonnySweatpants - does LordEntrails and my posts above make sense?
Let us know where you are at.

I understand that you can only forward one port to one computer at a time, and it makes sense to me.

My PC, just worked. I installed the game, launched the game, and created a campaign that people can connect to. Which is why I do not understand why I would touch anything with it.

I do not understand this:

use a different Username (from your Mac/GM) and put the server/alias as 192.168.1.12

How can I manually set the server/alias in FG? It does not seem to let me do that.

Do you have other networking devices on your network? Another router or WiFi device?
Have Ipads, phones on the network. No other WiFi or routers.

damned
April 14th, 2017, 02:41
I understand that you can only forward one port to one computer at a time, and it makes sense to me.

My PC, just worked. I installed the game, launched the game, and created a campaign that people can connect to. Which is why I do not understand why I would touch anything with it.

I do not understand this:

How can I manually set the server/alias in FG? It does not seem to let me do that.

Have Ipads, phones on the network. No other WiFi or routers.

Ok then you are still not reading my posts... sorry...
If you did not make any changes to the router to get the PC to work then UPnP has configured it for you...
Please go back and read the posts.

damned
April 14th, 2017, 02:43
You cant set the server IP/Alias on teh server. You do this on the client so it know what server you are connecting to...

The instruction was -

Start a new campaign on your Mac and then load up the PC and choose Join Game - use a different Username (from your Mac/GM) and put the server/alias as 192.168.1.12
The first part is server (Mac in this case) the second part was client (PC in this case).
This is to test whether the Mac install is listening/accepting connections.

damned
April 14th, 2017, 02:49
Ultimately you are making it far more difficult by choosing to GM from two different computers.
If you choose one computer to actually GM from this becomes a lot easier...

JonnySweatpants
April 14th, 2017, 03:08
Ultimately you are making it far more difficult by choosing to GM from two different computers.
If you choose one computer to actually GM from this becomes a lot easier...

Honestly, this should not be such a hassle. It's very disappointing.

I know I'm not a savant when it comes to the configuration of pc's and routers, but i'm not a complete idiot either.

A license is good to use on one computer at a time. This is the whole point of installing through Steam and a huge reason I made the purchase. What I am trying to do, is not unreasonable by any means. I should be able to configure it on any computer I want, as long as it meets necessary specs, and launch it as the license allows.

I'm not looking to play with the same license on both computers at one time. I'm simply looking to GM from one, and GM from the other.

Trenloe
April 14th, 2017, 03:23
It's not a Fantasy Grounds restriction, it is a standard networking restriction. If you're willing to mess around with network settings, manually transferring files from one computer to another, etc. then hey, knock yourself out. The recommendation to run from a single computer was to make things easier for you. I echo that recommendation - it will just be easier on you all round.

JonnySweatpants
April 14th, 2017, 04:16
I was able to get it to work with some of the information that Damned had provided.

Thank You all for the help, it is certainly appreciated.

Yes, it is clearly a pain to continually have to alter the Port forwarding / static IP configuration. While my goal was to be able to easily swap between PC/laptop, depending on the session I'm going to DM for, it does not seem that it will be conducive to do so. Which to me, is disappointing. After all, it was a big reason I purchased through Steam. I'm excited to be able to use all of the tools, but really not in the manner in which I was intending..... at least with a friendly user experience.

I have no doubt that I will continue to use and love FG, tonights ultimately futile effort though really wore me down and has me questioning how an issue like this is not solved through the front end of the software without all of this extensive user manipulation.

I understand that it's not a FG problem, but I can't imagine that it can't be solved through FG.

Thank You all again for the help, again I really appreciate it, and I'm sure at times it was frustrating for you to seemingly tell me the same things. I apologize for any of that frustration, but in the end it was figured out and you all did great.

damned
April 14th, 2017, 04:48
hey mate - there is some history here - Fantasy Grounds uses a client / server model which means that players connect directly to teh GM. this has pros and cons. the big pro is you are not dependent on someone elses servers and your data stays on your computer. the downside is you need to be able to allow this direct connection and you need to backup your data. Fantasy Grounds current game engine is an older one and it doesnt have as many networking options as newer game engines do. At some point in the future, maybe this year, maybe next, Fantasy Grounds will have a new Unity game engine and there will be options to the port forwarding setup making this easier for a whole lot of people.

you can GM from both computers but you will have to work out your network setup.

Id be willing to lay a friendly wager that in reality you will so rarely actually go to GM from two different computers. I have a primary laptop and a surface. I use FG a lot. I almost exclusively use my primary laptop but I do sometimes use the Surface when Im out and about. Its just so much easier for me when GMing to use the main computer, to plug in the extra screen to sit at my desk and have it all set up the way Im used to. I can use the surface, and its all setup to go and i kepp it up todate with my campaign data etc but I almost never do, and I GM even less so from it.

I know your situation will be different but you will very likely find that when its time to run your game you will have a preferred computer to do that from and you probably wont switch much.

Go try the Sample 5e campaign and watch a video or two and play with the fun stuff.

JonnySweatpants
April 14th, 2017, 23:00
Welp, just when I thought I had it all figured out, it seems that now with 3.3 I'm stuck again.

When being the GM of a campaign with my 'JonnySweatpants' account, on my PC, I cannot connect to it from my mac as a different user.

I was doing this yesterday with no problems. Thoughts?

damned
April 15th, 2017, 00:50
Hey JonnySweatPants

When on the same LAN as the GM computer you would use the LAN IP address of the GM computer eg 192.168.1.13 (or whatever it actually is).
Additionally any upgrade that changes an X or Y value X.Y.z (3.3.0) requires all clients to upgrade as well.

So... check your PC IP Address and make sure that both Mac and PC have upgraded.

Fantasy Grounds receives several updates every year.

JonnySweatpants
April 15th, 2017, 01:06
Hey JonnySweatPants

When on the same LAN as the GM computer you would use the LAN IP address of the GM computer eg 192.168.1.13 (or whatever it actually is).
Additionally any upgrade that changes an X or Y value X.Y.z (3.3.0) requires all clients to upgrade as well.

So... check your PC IP Address and make sure that both Mac and PC have upgraded.

Fantasy Grounds receives several updates every year.

TY for the reply Damned.

Both PC and Mac have the same versions, and I am attempting to use the LAN IP address of the GM computer (the pc) when connecting from the Mac.

Anything else I could be missing? I have port forwarding from the GM PC.

damned
April 15th, 2017, 01:12
Hi - the port forwarding doesnt have any effect here if you are using the Internal/LAN IP address of the PC.
Are you getting an error message?
Can you confirm that the IP on the GM computer didnt change?
Can you confirm that both computers say 3.3.0
And lastly - do you have a product key entered in both? If so that wont work... you will need to connect with a demo/unlicensed copy for the second instance.
If you want to see the player view you can right click FG in the Windows Task Bar and launch a second instance. In the address of the second instance use localhost and this will connect to the local instance and bypass the license check.

LordEntrails
April 15th, 2017, 01:14
Though I think the symptoms are different in that FG gives you an error, I believe if you have your license key active on a second computer it will not let you connect to a host using the same license key. You will have to remove the duplicate key from the player computer, run and update, then try to connect.

JonnySweatpants
April 15th, 2017, 04:15
Though I think the symptoms are different in that FG gives you an error, I believe if you have your license key active on a second computer it will not let you connect to a host using the same license key. You will have to remove the duplicate key from the player computer, run and update, then try to connect.

I am using a different license key for a free version, wanting to connect to my ultimate that I am dm'ing on.

JonnySweatpants
April 15th, 2017, 04:16
Hi - the port forwarding doesnt have any effect here if you are using the Internal/LAN IP address of the PC.
Are you getting an error message?
Can you confirm that the IP on the GM computer didnt change?
Can you confirm that both computers say 3.3.0
And lastly - do you have a product key entered in both? If so that wont work... you will need to connect with a demo/unlicensed copy for the second instance.
If you want to see the player view you can right click FG in the Windows Task Bar and launch a second instance. In the address of the second instance use localhost and this will connect to the local instance and bypass the license check.

Attempting to open a second instance, it says I cannot do so. "Error loading data"

Moon Wizard
April 15th, 2017, 04:51
If it mentions something about base.xml missing, then some of the files didn't get installed correctly. Try rerunning the installer.

Regards,
JPG

adamyaz
November 10th, 2017, 22:21
This is what you need to do:

1) Purchase Fantasy Grounds through Steam.
2) Install on your Windows and Mac computers through Steam.
3) Buy any DLC/add ons only from the FG Web Store. Always associate purchases with the same FG website account - in your case "JonnySweatpants".
4) On both of your installs: open Fantasy Grounds, click the settings button and enter your FG website username (JonnySweatpants) and password and then run an update.
5) The update process on both computers will access your purchases on the FG web store and download/update the products you own.

so you are saying that, if I bought DLC from Steam it will not sync to the wineskin app on a MAC?

Will DLC from the online store sync with the Steam version?

Having trouble accessing Xanathar's which I just purchased...thanks!

LordEntrails
November 10th, 2017, 22:40
so you are saying that, if I bought DLC from Steam it will not sync to the wineskin app on a MAC?

Will DLC from the online store sync with the Steam version?

Having trouble accessing Xanathar's which I just purchased...thanks!
Correct, you can install FG on a Mac from Steam, but Steam won't work for any DLC. Something technical beyond the control of SmiteWorks (but I don't know what). If you purchased XgtE on Steam and you are on a Mac, Steam has a refund policy you can do and then purchase it on the FG Webstore.

If you are having trouble with the Steam refund you can reach out to SmiteWorks at [email protected].

adamyaz
November 10th, 2017, 22:42
thanks, I submitted for a refund request, we'll see what happens with it. Good to know that I can also reach out to FG's support if it comes to that.

Cheers!

ddavison
November 10th, 2017, 23:25
Correct, you can install FG on a Mac from Steam, but Steam won't work for any DLC. Something technical beyond the control of SmiteWorks (but I don't know what). If you purchased XgtE on Steam and you are on a Mac, Steam has a refund policy you can do and then purchase it on the FG Webstore.

If you are having trouble with the Steam refund you can reach out to SmiteWorks at [email protected].

That is no longer the case. All DLC will work on Mac now from Steam. We completely changed how we deliver DLC back with version 3.2 (I believe) and now the Manage button in your Settings allows you to link your Steam account with your fantasygrounds.com. The installation is now the same for both Mac and Windows PC users.

Trenloe
November 10th, 2017, 23:27
Correct, you can install FG on a Mac from Steam, but Steam won't work for any DLC.
This is no longer the case.

The (fairly) recent change to having the Steam sync through the website works for all installation of FG, no matter what operating system. That was the reason for changing from accessing the Steam client (which only worked on a PC) and using the website sync.

Moon Wizard
November 10th, 2017, 23:29
Actually, it should work just fine. We changed the update process, so our FG update server queries the Steam servers directly. All Steam users have to link their Steam account to their FG account, and then enter their FG login in the FG Settings before they update. This is true for Mac or Windows machines.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/syncSteamAccount.xcp

We’ve had a couple reports where the Steam link didn’t auto-refresh on an update, but a manual refresh via the Steam link page corrects that.

Cheers,
JPG

Trenloe
November 10th, 2017, 23:29
That is no longer the case.

This is no longer the case.

SNAP! (Well 99% snap!)

LordEntrails
November 11th, 2017, 02:35
That is no longer the case. ...

This is no longer the case....

Actually, it should work just fine. We changed the update process, ...
Doh! I know I'm dense... *G*

How can you go and make improvements? You keep making things better and better how am I going to learn what new things you've done?!?!?

Moon Wizard
November 11th, 2017, 07:24
I know; it was like the perfect storm of having us all on answering at the same time. Even surprised me. :)

Cheers,
JPG

ddavison
November 11th, 2017, 14:17
But I do want to point out that I was first. :)