PDA

View Full Version : High Space

jshauber
April 12th, 2017, 20:04
The new High Space has been released to Kickstarter backers in PDF form. Books to follow in the next month or so and then I would think a general public release soon after.

Question, is anyone planning on converting this to FG? It would be worth it just to get the really cool system for spaceships they have come up with (Ships are like PCs, they have Edges/Hinderances and when a system is not being "manned" by a PC, it has it's own dice for making rolls that are needed.

JohnD
April 12th, 2017, 21:10
Spark one up maaaannnn....

Talyn
April 12th, 2017, 21:21
I was thinking about it but my initial perusal of the books I have seemed like some extensive Lua scripting would be needed to get it working, and I wasn't (still aren't) up for that.

I'll look through it some more and actually plan some bits out to see what I think, but bottom line is I have several projects already on my queue to finish first.

jshauber
April 12th, 2017, 21:31
I was thinking about it but my initial perusal of the books I have seemed like some extensive Lua scripting would be needed to get it working, and I wasn't (still aren't) up for that.

I'll look through it some more and actually plan some bits out to see what I think, but bottom line is I have several projects already on my queue to finish first.

Do you have the new material? I don't have the original stuff but my understanding is they have done a major overhaul of the system. I have 5E projects I am working on and have not even tried a small SW conversion yet, so not going to attack one this size to start with. Plus, not a programmer, so if I hear anything beyond XML, I head for the bench so the big boys can step up.

Talyn
April 12th, 2017, 21:34
I had no clue they were even doing anything else with High-Space, honestly. So many of these licensees do a setting and move on to the next setting without supporting the last one, after all...

I haven't touched Lua since my vanilla WoW days in '04 - '06 and I've been intentionally avoiding re-learning it for FG until my back is to the wall and I have no choice.
I can (and do) XML all day in Notepad++ but that isn't programming. :)

Topdecker
April 14th, 2017, 15:14
The author of High Space is pretty active in the Campaign Cartographer 3+ community, with some of his assets being featured as a monthly edition in two annuals. It makes his materials easy to extend and expand upon, especially from a feels-right mapping perspective. He has at least one CC3+ video on Youtube.

He pulled the sales of at least one of the books once he decided to upgrade High Space - which was cool of him since I probably would have stumbled into the upgrade quagmire. High Space has some pretty smart rules for ships and ship to ship combat. I personally am pretty keen on using High Space to handle my very distant Sci-Fi campaign because I am going to take more of a Haldeman/Pournelle bent where technology and space is explored via the military perspective of desperate necessity and as such the High Space rules are very appealing.

Talyn
April 14th, 2017, 15:19
I'm still not finding anything about a new High-Space... Google just shows me the Kickstarter from 2016, which is the stuff I own. Nothing newer than that...

The whole thing with ships though give me pause about trying a legit FG conversion. Sounds like it would either require a lot of additional scripting in an extension to add the functionality, or just say "screw it, make a PC and make do with the limitations."

Topdecker
April 14th, 2017, 16:07
From Google+...

https://i.imgur.com/1CRnaca.jpg

Basically they are about to be able to print and deliver the print editions for Kickstarter assuming no horrible errors are found. I suspect that once their kickstarter obligations are fulfilled, we'll see a POD offering.

g0ntzal
April 15th, 2017, 17:49
I'm a backer and a High-Space fan... I'm using NPC sheets in order to operate ships and I use effects for breaches and compromised status... The PC ship is treated as an ally.