PDA

View Full Version : Transferring tables in a .pdf in to Fantasy Grounds

Niles
April 11th, 2017, 07:43
I am trying to create a module for Pure Steam. I've come across a table in the .pdf file. How would I get that in to FG? It doesn't copy and paste. Thanks for any advice!

Mike

damned
April 11th, 2017, 10:20
Have a look at the text editing options in the Fantasy Grounds user manual
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FantasyGroundsUserManual.pdf
p15-18

Zacchaeus
April 11th, 2017, 11:00
If the table is embedded into the pdf as a graphic then that might be why you can't copy/paste the text. You could add the table as a graphic if it is simply informational but if it's a rollable table then I think all you can do is type the information into an FG table.

Niles
April 11th, 2017, 18:46
Thanks Zacchaeus, it's an informational table, it says how many spells per day a class gets as they go up in level, it's not the type of table you have to roll any dice for. I think you're right, I'll add the table as a graphic. Thanks for the advice!

Trenloe
April 11th, 2017, 18:58
Thanks Zacchaeus, it's an informational table, it says how many spells per day a class gets as they go up in level, it's not the type of table you have to roll any dice for. I think you're right, I'll add the table as a graphic. Thanks for the advice!
To problem with doing a graphic is that, unless you're using a Reference Manual, you can't embed the graphics within the formatted text field - it has to be a link to open the graphic separately.

The usual approach for information tables is to add them into the formatted text inline by creating a "Table". Info and keystrokes here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Formatted_Text_Fields

Niles
April 11th, 2017, 21:49
To problem with doing a graphic is that, unless you're using a Reference Manual, you can't embed the graphics within the formatted text field - it has to be a link to open the graphic separately.

The usual approach for information tables is to add them into the formatted text inline by creating a "Table". Info and keystrokes here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Formatted_Text_Fields

Thanks, Trenloe! So to clarify, I press ctrl+6 to create a table, then add my formatted text into the table? Do I have to do that row by row or column by column? Sorry, I'm really green when it comes to doing stuff like this. The text and images I understand.

Zacchaeus
April 11th, 2017, 22:14
Yes, press CTRL+6 to create the table (or right click and select paragraph type and then table). This will give you a single cell. To create another cell in the same row press CTRL+TAB; to create a new line press return.

You aren't going to be able to copy paste the whole table in and have it drop into the cells. You are going to (probably) have to type the information into each cell one at a time. (Or copy/paste the contents of the cell from the pdf or wherever into the relevant cell). You can then format the text once it's in the cell (apply bold, itallic, underline etc).

damned
April 11th, 2017, 23:49
huh? see post #2! :)

Trenloe
April 12th, 2017, 01:25
huh? see post #2! :)
Now you know how I feel. A lot... :-p

Niles
April 12th, 2017, 01:55
Thanks for your all your help, guys.

leozelig
April 12th, 2017, 02:45
I usually cut and paste all of the table text as a big jumble of words in a single cell. Then I slowly break it down by moving the cursor to where the next column should start and pressing Ctrl + Tab, etc.

Hit enter to start the next row and make some more columns. Pressing Ctrl + Plus is useful to adjust the column width after the table is complete.

Edit: Also... Selecting the pasted text and pressing Ctrl + J is helpful for removing line breaks. All of the shortcuts will really speed up your module creation, so keep that link in post #2 handy!

Niles
April 12th, 2017, 03:02
Thanks, leozelig. I'll try that as well. Wow, it sure is a lot of work building modules, but I'm learning as I go.