PDA

View Full Version : Does Buying Addons Constitute Ownership of Materials?

JHale1966
April 9th, 2017, 23:50
If I go somewhere and play live games and they require me to prove that I own the Book(s) that I used to create my character, can I pull out my Surface, load up FG and show that I have purchased the materials in that format or do I still need the hardcover versions of the books?

Thanks!

vodokar
April 10th, 2017, 00:13
I don't know who would make you do that, and I would imagine that that would be at the discretion of whomever was making you prove that, however, every book and module sold here in the Fantasy Grounds store does constitute a legal copy that was authorized by the copyright holders and so, in the same way that a pdf is legally treated the same as a real book, a Fantasy Grounds module is also.

JHale1966
April 10th, 2017, 00:17
Well I know in PFS they require you to either have a physical copy of the book or a water-marked PDF so I was just making sure. They have cons in my area sometimes so I was just trying to make sure I had my bases covered. :)

vodokar
April 10th, 2017, 00:25
Well, soon the Paizo approved official modules will be rolling forth. I think we can assume that Paizo knows it authorized them. That doesn't mean that some local shmo won't need an explanation though. There should be enough documentation present between here and on Paizo's website/forums to prove your case.

JHale1966
April 10th, 2017, 00:41
I plan on getting these when they come out - I was asking more for D&D AL since I'm still new to it.

I'm covered on PFS - I have everything (water-marked) on my iPad. :D

Trenloe
April 10th, 2017, 00:58
Yeah, proving ownership for organized play campaigns can be different. Hopefully an AL guru will come along soon and give the lowdown on what's accepted.

DragonsDen13
April 12th, 2017, 19:39
So, if owning a module, like the PHB, "sold here in the Fantasy Grounds store does constitute a legal copy that was authorized by the copyright holders", is there anyway of printing a copy of it? I am new to FG and haven't seen an easy way to print it. But then I may be making it more complicated than it is.

Thanks.

Elliannith
April 12th, 2017, 22:30
You may have legal rights to own it, but not be legally able to reproduce it.
Kinda like making copies of a hard back, it's still not allowed.

damned
April 13th, 2017, 05:46
So, if owning a module, like the PHB, "sold here in the Fantasy Grounds store does constitute a legal copy that was authorized by the copyright holders", is there anyway of printing a copy of it? I am new to FG and haven't seen an easy way to print it. But then I may be making it more complicated than it is.

Thanks.

It is a legal copy and while copyright law varies from country to country here in AUS copyright law permits you to make a backup copy of your product in a different format the FG program does not have any way for you to print from.
As for AL (and when PF is officially here on FG - PFS) I can see no reason why these products would not be considered valid for the game requirements.

DragonsDen13
April 13th, 2017, 07:02
Thanks for the responses. I was asking more from a stand point that it would sometimes be nice to have the prints that I could sit outside and read instead of having to sit at my computer.

It is a shame there is no way to print them out easily but it is okay. Thanks again for your responses.

Nadine Chanz
May 4th, 2017, 15:43
On a similar note, I have the Ultimate monthly subscription, but have already purchased the full DMG and the PHB from the FG store. If I purchase the MM, thus having all 3 core books, could I cancel my subscription and continue hosting games as I do now?

Trenloe
May 4th, 2017, 15:44
On a similar note, I have the Ultimate monthly subscription, but have already purchased the full DMG and the PHB from the FG store. If I purchase the MM, thus having all 3 core books, could I cancel my subscription and continue hosting games as I do now?
Welcome to the forums Nadine Chanz

Your subscription is still needed for your base Fantasy Grounds license. Ultimate allows anyone to connect to your game, even those without a license (running the free/demo version). Buying products doesn't change your base license.

Nadine Chanz
May 4th, 2017, 16:04
Welcome to the forums Nadine Chanz

Your subscription is still needed for your base Fantasy Grounds license. Ultimate allows anyone to connect to your game, even those without a license (running the free/demo version). Buying products doesn't change your base license.

Thank you for your quick response. :)

It leads me to another clarifying question. For those who purchased the $149 Ultimate License, can they host games with players who only have the demo version? If so, what difference(s) do they have as opposed to me once I have the all the core 5e books and is it possible for me (or anyone else in my financial situation) to achieve that status?

Trenloe
May 4th, 2017, 16:57
For those who purchased the $149 Ultimate License, can they host games with players who only have the demo version? If so, what difference(s) do they have as opposed to me once I have the all the core 5e books and is it possible for me (or anyone else in my financial situation) to achieve that status?
The functionality of an Ultimate subscription is exactly the same as the one-off purchase Ultimate license. The only difference is the one-off or monthly payments.

Functionality described in the bottom half of the home page here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/home/home.php

Nadine Chanz
May 4th, 2017, 16:58
oh, I see.

Trenloe
May 4th, 2017, 16:59
I would need to purchase the Fantasy Grounds License for $39. This would allow me to host games without the $9.99 monthly Ultimate subscription fee.
This would give you a standard license - which allows you to host for anyone else with a standard or ultimate license. You won't be able to host for free/demo licenses.