PDA

View Full Version : Extensions?

hpdonat
April 9th, 2017, 12:04
I don't fully comprehend extensions,their uses, or distinctions. Is there any resource literature that defines them, or could someone please explain? I want to play 5e and Pathfinder as both player and GM do any of these extensions give me advantages in any of these roles?

damned
April 9th, 2017, 12:09
Extensions modify or extend the look and or the behaviour of a ruleset.

Zacchaeus
April 9th, 2017, 12:31
As damned says extensions modify a ruleset. So whether you benefit from an extension or not depends on what you want to do or have in your campaign. (As a player you don't have a choice of extension - only the DM has).

Have a look here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?22975-5E-Community-extensions) at the list for the 5e ones and here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?15925-List-of-Extensions) for the 3.5 ones and you can click each one to see what it does and therefore can gauge whether it's something for you or not.

Trenloe
April 9th, 2017, 15:11
And here for CoreRPG extensions that most rulesets can use (including 3.5E and 5E) - but always check the thread for more details. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20320-FG-3-0-CoreRPG-Extensions

dulux-oz
April 9th, 2017, 16:57
An example or two might help clarify things:

First of all, you can think of Extensions as "plug-ins" - as the others have said, Extensions add to or "extend" the functionality of FG.

Take sound; FG doesn't do sound by iteslf, but with the DOE: Sound Extension you (the GM) can integrate a 3rd-party sound system into FG and have sounds manually or automatically played when you want.

Another example is the DOE: Weather Extension. It adds a completely RPG-neutral weather system to games.

These are but two of the Extensions available; there are many others, most of which are listed on the threads already given and some are also on the FG Wiki.

I hope that helps, and feel free to ask about any of the Extensions, etc.

Cheers

hpdonat
April 9th, 2017, 21:25
Can you use more than one extension at a time?

Zacchaeus
April 9th, 2017, 21:30
Yes, you can use as many as you like.

LordEntrails
April 9th, 2017, 22:08
Yes, you can use as many as you like.
Assuming they don't conflict with one another. Usually they don't, but on rare occasions some will.

Shireling
March 24th, 2020, 01:55
How do you fix broken extensions? I brought a new extension and added it to my folder and I realized I copied the wrong file. When I deleted the old one and brought in the correct copy the option to select the extension changed to a large red X... How do you fix those?

I understand that I need to completely exit the game before opening a new extension and I can't remember if I did that or not with this one or simply went back out to the login screen... so I am not sure on repeatability for the error. :(

LordEntrails
March 24th, 2020, 02:34
In your case, the red X means that you do not have installed/selected a pre-requisite for that extension. Perhaps you did not update the token help extension and have an out of date one. Re-download your extensions from the forums again making sure you have the latest of all prerequisite extensions.

If that doesn't work, check the threads for the extensions you want to use and see if the issue is reported and resolved by someone else.

Shireling
March 24th, 2020, 03:37
Thank you!

I played around with it a little bit and the extension in question, "Combat Enhancer 5E Classic," had another supporting extension that went with it and at first it worked because I also loaded the most current one and then I checked the actual dates on the uploaded extensions and I thought there was another one that was newer but in fact it was old code but uploaded more recently. Once I played around with the different files, I figured out which one worked correctly.